PC Memory

winners

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A word of warning about Micro Direct.

Fantastic prices but if you ever get a fault or want a refund they're pigs. Put every obstacle you could think of in your way (e.g. insisting on return of all original packaging even if a fault and then insisting it's the manufacturers issue not theirs). When the law is then explained to them they blindly ignore it and refuse to back down.

They rely on it being too much trouble for you to go down small claims route etc and give up. Having used them for many years but not having to deal with them on a faulty product before I was extremely happy with them.

Now I wouldn't touch them with someone elses shi**y stick. they are crap, DON'T use them!

Rant over!!

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Hi Matt,

just read their T&C page and you are right they place several hoops in the way before they will even deal with a return. None or them are actually needed by statute, but I can see them using them like you describe.... to put you off.

I have only used them because they are cheap, and touch wood so far everythings worked. Be good to know some comparably priced alternatives if people know and have used other suppliers.

cheers

Alex

Alex

I used to really rate them and used them a lot. I always recommended them to friends, and even got my son buying from them too. Then a fault occurred with a laptop power supply I got from them. It was after 6 months (12 months warranty) I still had the receipt, and they still wouldn't exchange or refund. All I wanted was another power supply........

Bear in mind that I lived within 2 miles of them so I could call in and speak to someone face to face. God help anyone buying on the internet/phone remotely.

Unfortunately I could never find anyone to match them on price, but I will still NEVER buy from them again.

Sorry, I'm hijacking the thread, as you can tell I feel rather strongly about them!

I'll keep quiet now and get back on topic!

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

I have a nas (Network Attached Storage) from Infrant Technologies which provides me with a terrabyte of storage which is upgradeable in real time. Add a new disk and more space appears - completely fault tolerant so failure of a single disk doesn't mean loss of all your data B)

All my CD's, pictures and videos are stored on it. (It also acts as a media server....)

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

• Gold FFM

Anyone know of a NAS that is truly Vista-compliant yet?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

What do you mean by Vista compliant??

The NAS I have isn't specific it is Network Attached - via ethernet. Administered via a web browser. It actually runs Linux but provides both windows shares and NFS shares

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

• Gold FFM

As far as I'm aware, no NAS is certified by the manufacturer as truly Vista-compliant. Unless you have Vista Ultimate, which allows you to manipulate security policies, NAS drives can be problematic. I've tried several home-market drives, and none of them have given true NAS capability to Vista machines. I'm currently running a Freecom (waited forever for their Vista patch) and it doesn't want to give read/write to more than one PC on my home network! Then again, it is an NDAS device, so I suppose I should look at some of the later protocols...

Are you getting read/write on multiple machines? And is the NAS attached to a PC or your router? I'm all ears for a solution.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

NAS is connected directly to an ethernet switch. I have at times upwards of 5 machines connected and all are able to read/write to various areas.

We have a commercial NAS at work (capable of hundreds of terrabytes) and some Windows Vista clients (mostly XP at the moment). There have been no reports of problems with teh Vista clients.

The NAS simply appears on the network as a machine offering shares and you connect to the shares in the normal manner. The client can't distinguish between a PC offering the shares or a NAS.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350