Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
A sad day - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

A sad day

98GT3

Not alot I can say except that it is a sad loss of a very talented man.

As I speak he is having an article written him in the Horological Journal.

It is only a draft of the article and as such is not totally correct, but it gives an idea his achievements, it omits his marks in his exams - something like 8th in his first year, first place in the second year and first place in his final year - this was his hobby!

Anyway here is the draft for anyone who is interested, I'm sorry but I don't have the photos at the moment.

I will miss you Dad.............

George Lloyd Thomas A success story of BHI

by

Chris McKay

Following a call to the HJ I was invited to visit the family of a past BHI member and see a clock; the people living not very far from my home. Having just picked up Board responsibilities for examinations and education I was struck by the quality of the clock, the story of a teacher turned clockmaker and importantly the part the BHI took in his horological training.

George Everard Lloyd-Jones decided to take early retirement at the age of 58, leaving his profession as an Art teacher in a secondary school. Ever active and able to blend mechanics with artistry he took up horology and enlisted on the BHI Correspondence courses now known as the Distance Learning Course (DLC). Going through all the grades he dutifully sent in the answers to questions for marking and made the various little exercises a stake, hammer head, anvil, hand lifters, clock plates, pendulum cock etc [figure 1] to develop clock and watchmaking skills. Particularly nice was a balance and plate and clock. [figure 2]. Like many able student George entered the examinations and emerged with a qualification. From here his family told me he then went through the BHI professional grades becoming a FBHI.

One particular clock that George made is very much treasured by his family and still goes remarkably well [figure 3]. It is well worth a description. I am told the clock had been written up in the HJ many years ago, but I cannot trace the reference. Today the regulator stands as a tribute to both George’s skill and to the process of BHI education that set him on the path to complete his masterpiece.

The clock movement follows a fairly standard layout for a regulator [figure 4] but the dial is not disfigured with a winding hole, winding being done from the side through a pair of bevel gears [figure 5]. All wheels and pinions were cut by George and show a nice finish. The unusual feature of this clock is that all pivots run in ball races. Now the horological world from time to time discusses the use of ball races in horology; generally there is one camp strongly in favour and another strongly against. Ball races have been used in the rotors of automatic watches for a long time and have proved successful. In this regulator they too have been successful with no noticeable wear and they are still running smoothly. If you spin the weigh pulley it achieved a high speed and runs a lot longer than a convention plain pulley does.

The movement stands on brackets that are mounted on the backboard [figure 6]. George made the wall-mounted case as well; the inside shows a very nice mahogany flame, no doubt some Edwardian wardrobe had donated its veneered door to the project.

A hand-engraved dial compliments the class of the clock [figure 7], the only thing not made by George was the cast brass bezel. Careful inspection shows the tell-tale recess that one held a hinge and one wonders what nice clock was once graced with such a brass surround.

Sadly that ancient thief old age has stolen George’s health and memories and he now lives in a retirement home. But apart from fond memories the family is proud to have some of Georges creative and artistic sprit captured in his fine wall regulator.

Photo Number Text reference Caption

0189.jpg 1 Correspondence course exercises

0191.jpg 2 Watchmaking exercise, balance with cock.

0177.jpg 2 Wall mounting regulator by George Lloyd-Thomas.

0165.jpg 4 Rear view of movement. Note the caps that retain the ball races.

1069.jpg 5 Side view showing wheel work and right-angled winding.

0161jpg 6 Case with movement and pendulum cocks.

0181.jpg 7 Engraved and silvered dial.

Phil

98GT3

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:sick:

Sorry to hear about your loss mate, your pa sounds like a very talented and creative man. Hope you're bearing up as well as can be, our thoughts are with you.

Bibs & Laura

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Condolences Phil.

My Dad went 8 years ago, and whilst we weren't particularly close I really miss having him around at important times.

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

• Gold FFM

Condolences to you and your family Phil.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

really sorry to hear the news, it is indeed the saddest of days when you loose a parent, something that i know i will have to face myself sooner or later, i can only imagin the heartache you feel, my thoughts are with you Phil :sick:

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

My condolences Phil.

Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

What can I say Phil? Sounds like a very talented man. We're all very very sorry for your loss.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Thankyou for your kind words guys, some of you I have met and some of you I have yet to meet, but I feel as though I know you all, such is this place that we call LEF. Today I feel remarkably at peace, now this sad chapter is finally over. The sun is shining and strangely it feels like a new beginning, the memories of the last few years diminishing, being replaced with ones of how he was....... the way he should be remembered.......

Phil

98GT3

My condolences to you and your family. It is fortunate that you have the good memories of him to share which will allow you to keep him alive in your heart. All the best.

Al "phonse" B.

Oh Phil, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds like you have lots of great memories of a special and talented Dad.

[[[big hugs]]]

Katie

Just because you can, does'nt mean you should.

Condolences

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Just this side of heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge. When someone dies that has been especially close to someone here, he'll go to the Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together.....

greets rens

author unnown

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

• Gold FFM

Phil,

Even though I'm new here and don't 'know' you yet, mine and my wifes' condolences to you and yours. We have been through this three times. All I can say is remember all the fun times.

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)