Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Esprit Registry - Page 28 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Esprit Registry

Bibs

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Esprit S1, 1977

77050306H

L25 Monaco White

Originally tartan interior

Owner: Tony K.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Bibs,

Tony, Art, and I were talking the other day and I suggested that perhaps we set up an S1 rehab clinic, to which someone who shall remain nameless replied, "I don't want to be cured!" and another one replied "Maybe the clinic could foster the addiction!"

These are my peeps.

- Matt

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

It's a project, Bibs! I don't know when I'm going to get to it; but it's a great candidate for a full restoration because of the original color combination and that it still has its 'numbers matching' original engine. I had to buy it. The body and frame are good, and it looks like the engine will run with fresh fluids; But the interior needs a total retrim and then some, and the car has suffered a lot from sitting outdoors neglected for several years. It does have Dellortos, electronic ignition and a Facet fuel pump. For now, it's sitting in Mike H's shop and, with the interior stripped out, will serve as a reference for how things like door/window assemblies, headlamp mechanisms, under the dash, etc., will go back together on two other S1s. :construction:

Here she is, 306H, warm and dry at last:

leftsideingarage.jpg

leftfrontingarage.jpg

Original tartan hiding under gray velour:

tartanundergraydoorinsert.jpg

:)

Edited by Tony K

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

I don't think they glued over it; they did it over the seat pleats, too, and all I think they did was stitch. However, looking at the photo above (it's the door insert), it looks like they shaved the edges off where they should wrap around to the back. I won't know how bad it is or if it is savable until I remove all of the velour . . .

But the interior as a whole is pretty bad, and the green cloth has mostly been removed, so I'm not really hoping for much.

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Bro,

You are so my hero. I checked my reference book and it says that once you've obtained a total past/present S1 ownership count of 10 or more, you will ascend to a higher plane of existence, which I fear means we may never see you again. I believe you have three to go? If so, can you leave us your brain, like Einstein?

- Matt

Hi Trevor,

That is Mike H's 1978 308 GTS, and that is Mike's shop in the photos, where 306H is residing for the time being! (I actually did own that 308 for about a year, but sold it due to lack of time/too many cars; I still have my 1980 308 GTBi -- had two 308s for a while.)

I believe that, as we speak, parts or all of that 308 are once again Nero (black), as Mike has been busy with it and another car while Matt's 1976 Lotus Light Orange 217H cures for a few weeks:

217Hboothrear.jpg

As for my 1980 GTBi, I think I will be selling it this year, to use the money to build another garage, ironically! :innocent: Last year, I bought a Lancia Scorpion (U.S. version of the Montecarlo), and transplanted a 2.0 into it and swapped the 5th gear to give it 20mph per 1k rpm. I have to admit, while the Ferrari is a striking and sexy car, I find the Lancia more charming and alluring. And with the modifications, it should be plenty fun to drive and tolerable on long trips (more so than the 308). I think the Scorpion/Montecarlo is a terribly underappreciated car, especially in the U.S.

These are not my car (I don't have any decent photos of it yet); this is what I like about Montecarlos/Scorpions:

tn_Geoff_monte_front.jpgtn_rechts2.jpg

...and this:

Lancia_Vande.jpg

:thumbsup:

Sorry for the treadjack!!!

Edited by Tony K

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

agreed, 306H should be moved to it's own thread.

although it is always fun to find out the goings on in Tony's garage, never a dull moment! Hats off to Patty for being a stellar supportive wife for forgiving Tony's addiction.

Edited by GavinT

Tony,

You are incourageable! An excessive/compulsive at the minimum! Oh, by the way, can you find me an Esprit for Vegas......... Oops, didn't mean to let that out.

You are doing what I can only dream of. Keep up the good work! Perhaps that day will come for me :wallbash::thumbsup::unworthy: .

Lyn

I just added mine, but I think the template could use some more fields. I'll take on that task if you want.

Mike has been busy with it and another car while Matt's 1976 Lotus Light Orange 217H cures for a few weeks:

This may be a first--a Tony K factual error--it's a '77. Speaking of which, back to the thread topic (please note the lack of pesky embedded photos :innocent:), here's my TMI for the TLF Esprit Registry I already entered them in the Wiki, which I think needs more fields to cover stuff like this:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Model: Esprit S1

Year: 1977 (March, left production line April 7)

Chassis #: 77030217H

Engine #: AC7 7703 13588 (that was the original, but has been swapped with an S2 907 engine, but I don’t know the number--Tony? Mike?)

Transaxle #: 0285

Color: Red (but being resprayed Colorado Orange, as in the offending photo above)

Trim: Tartan

Notes:

This car is a mongrel. Bought from Tony K, who’d soon before that bought it from a gent in North Carolina who’d begun a chassis-up restoration, including blasting and powder-coating the chassis and related parts, cadmium-plating all bare parts, new dampers/springs, Dell'Ortos, etc. Original tartan interior had been redone in “suburban Holiday Inn barstool black velour,” but will be restored by Nick Fulcher with the alteration of swapping the Hunting Menzies tartan for the “ancient” variant of my family tartan, Guthrie. Nick was kind enough to show up at the last TLF party with a pleated mock-up, which looked great, particularly since the tartan has two shades of green which work well with the solid green surrounds, as well as red/orange striping that works with the carpet. He also freaked me out by seriously saying he though it looked better than the original, which rattled me enough to throw back another double whiskey because hearing it from him really weirded me out. The PPO also had the front end of an S2 grafted on, from the wheel wells forward (very nicely done), and I love Speedlines, which Tony also had a set of, so those are going on as well, keeping the Wolfraces for winter. We’re also going to mask the updraft portion of the spoiler black to mimic the bottom edge of the S1 front end, as per here (thanks again to Paul/esprit s2 for use of the photo).

Special Modifications: (1) Has a secret Twinkie lockbox in case Bibs ever gets his arse over here and we go for a drive and get stranded and need rations. (2) Has a secret glass case in the glovebox with the words “Break in Case of Mid-Life Crisis” etched on the front and containing a mix-CD of Tull, Scorpions, and Skynyrd, for when Art “Shark Sandwich” Mason and I go for a drive next month. (3) Secret Lotus-branded whiskey flask for breakdowns while waiting for AAA and on mobile phone desperately hoping Tony K can suss the problem remotely.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Model: “Investor’s Special Edition” Turbo Esprit (pix)

Year: 1983 (August, left production line September 23)

Chassis #: SCCFC40A7DHF60415 (decoder)

Engine #: LD910 8308 20972 (original, but converted by PO to an HC with direction and parts from Arnie Johnson)

Transaxle #: 2968

Color: Chrysler Steel Grey (A38)

Trim: Full Silver/Grey Leather

Modifications: HC upgrade mentioned above, forged pistons, re-jetted carbs, re-curved distributor, new clutch, new timing belt, new tires, and various cosmetic/trim maintenance items. All emissions control stuff removed.

Notes:

This is one of the least known or discussed Giugiaro-era Lotus Esprits, i.e., one of the fifty 1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprits, which Lotus released to raise capital for their reentry to the US market that year. These were, in fact, the first Turbo Esprits for the USA. According to Lotus, a total of 50 (not 47) were made, numbered 00 to 49. This is “Special Edition 43," i.e., the 44th made, and is the only one of the 50 to be painted entirely in Chrysler Steel Grey with Full Silver-Grey Leather interior.

According to Andy Graham, with Lotus Technical Publications and Archives, "An 'Investor's Special Edition' Turbo Esprit was supplied to each investor who helped set up the new private import and distribution company, Lotus Performance Cars. They could choose their personal colour schemes, either the special [default] two-tone silver and grey [Chrysler Steel Grey, code A38] with special interior, or choose their own, along with a personal engraved hallmarked English silver plaque on the steering wheel and options listed above."

NOTE: If you happen to be the owner of #’s 42, 44, or 49, please contact Andy Graham at agraham@lotuscars.com since there are some discrepancies in Lotus's records about these particular cars, which may (or may not) explain the often-quoted total for these cars of 47 rather than 50. Read more here, including commentary from Brian Angus. And if you have one, register it here to assist in building out the TLF Wiki entry on these cars.

Many thanks to Andy Graham for providing information for these cars.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

P.S. Bibs--I’ll put all these photos in the gallery once I take new ones, and Mike will be chronicling the S1 in a TLF restoration blog. I’ll also be finishing off the TLF Wiki entry for the ISE Turbos this weekend, incorporating the registry as discussed. Unless it looks like crap, in which it’ll be disgust. :sick:

it is always fun to find out the goings on in Tony's garage, never a dull moment! Hats off to Patty for being a stellar supportive wife for forgiving Tony's addiction.

Gavin, I'm lobbying Patty to let us in while Tony's out so we can install a concealed live-feed webcam. Are you with me? Bring your Ninja gear. :shuriken:

Edited by Moxie

Esprit S1, #464H

Full VIN is probably 77090464H or 77100464H (not given in eBay auction)

For sale on eBay USA in Tucson, Arizona February 2011.

Currently black with black velour interior, 38k miles. Not in original condition, but doesn't appear to be badly molested, either.

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE