Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Adventures in marshalling! - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Adventures in marshalling!

I'm new to it all, it's my first time.

Next Saturday I'm Marshalling at Brands Hatch for the VdeV Sports Car Championship :baby:

Any hints/tips for a first timer? I'm learning semaphore already :wub:

Juno-spa-pits.jpg

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

Marshalls do a fantastic job at all the race circuits around the country. If it weren't for the marshalls, there wouldn't be any motorsport at all.

Preparing - You could always practice that sweeping action with a broom before you go :wub:

You will also get one of the best seats/views in the house. :baby:

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Pray it doesn't rain

Take warm clothes

Practice your Borris Becker get out of the way

Hope the stewards don't want an opinion

Take a deck chair

Take some booze

Take a camera

Oh, and find some bozo to hang onto a few flags, and

Pray it doesn't rain

Actually the first motor race I ever went to was at Brands Hatch, before! the extension was built.

Roger, I salute you and behalf of all the competitors, thank you.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

When someone looks like they're losing control it's the marshalls job to jump out infront of them and catch them. If you've missed the accident you have to run onto the main straight and lie down to stop everyone else................. :baby:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

A good size bag or holdall, and some bin liners:

Maybe not for this race mate, but those really nice bits of broken racing car

nose, wing, diffuser and even the odd steering wheel that you see for sale but

cannot afford?

Who's the first guys on track to pick e'm up eh?

:baby:

Done it a few times Bibs, the clerk of the course should instruct all marshels the flags prior to the meeting, when to use and what they are for. Youll no doubt you will have different levels of responsibility as to who does what if things really go tits up depending if your paired off in groups or not..

You should be asked if you can do first aid and operate a fire extingusher and know what to do if your first on the scene for fuel oil spills and etc etc. If your a bit green on this stuff you may be paired up with someone else initially.

As mentioned warm clothes, hat, sunscreen, wet weather gear, snacks, camera and find the biggest fence to stand behind.

350.gifNo.23

If the inevitable happens, grab another marshal and use him as a sandbag - for protection.. ;-)

2585247994_92c266d862_b.jpg

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

• Gold FFM

Just awaiting for the Orange suited and booted pics now then ;)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

If the inevitable happens, grab another marshal and use him as a sandbag - for protection.. ;-)

2585247994_92c266d862_b.jpg

One has to admire the wording of the add and its positioning.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Dunlop, Feel the Road....Wall....fence...hedge....tree....

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

;) Dunlop Fell OFF the road....

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Hey Bibs,

Well done that man!

Say 'hi' to my buddy Adrian Mardlin who's racing his Juno this weekend...

2342943326_e448f5453f_b.jpg

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' and 1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 286,000 miles and counting!

Just got in from a 12 hour day at Brands Hatch and I have to say it was a brilliant day, very very nice bunch of people these marshals :blush:

photo-27.jpg

Dingle Dell first thing before it started to drizzle all day! :)

I've not got the kit yet! The whole Marshal ethos for Motorsport in the UK is that's it's all voluntary and you even have to buy all of your own kit so they say to do a few events before you invest in the fire retardant 'Proban' orange overalls, scanner, welders gloves, waterproofs etc.

I'm at Lydden on Monday for the Rallycross which will be ace :cheers:

I wonder if this guy will turn up!

240708007.jpg

• Gold FFM

I was just looking at the pic of the car going over and couldn't help but think that the barbed wire is seriously going to mess up a perfectly good tyre. And then I thought if it was a perfectly good tyre, the car wouldn't be where it was :)

I used to marshal at motocross events when I was a lot younger. Had a ball and generally always a pretty good vantage point of the action. Hope you had fun Bibs. :)

Also hope it never gets real crazy where you are on the track...

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Brands Hatch this weekend for the DTM races, on post 3 which is on Paddock so promised to be a busy weekend!

We had a fair few cars off, on F3 went into the tyres at about 100mph and the car was wrecked but driver was fine after a trip to the med centre. Lewis Hamilton also did a few laps, it was nice to see him showing off to the crowd, would have been nice if he'd put his foot down a bit though!

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg