Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Random Pictures & Videos - Page 71 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Random Pictures & Videos

Bibs

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Last weekend's "college visit" (last one!) with younger son, near Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Drought's finally broken. Lake Eildon, about 140klm north of Melbourne has been a dry creek bed here for the past 10 or so years. There was time 30 years ago, when the water lapped the bridges.

LakeEildonDannys051010015.jpg

Airbag test dummy

DanR

(Last weekend's "college visit" (last one!) with younger son, near Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)

Nice colours, is that what you call "Fall?"

• Like 1

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

:yes:

Etymology

The word autumn comes from the Old French word autompne (automne in modern French), and was later normalised to the original Latin word autumnus.[8] There are rare examples of its use as early as the 12th century, but it became common by the 16th century.

Before the 16th century, harvest was the term usually used to refer to the season. However, as more people gradually moved from working the land to living in towns (especially those who could read and write, the only people whose use of language we now know), the word harvest lost its reference to the time of year and came to refer only to the actual activity of reaping, and autumn, as well as fall, began to replace it as a reference to the season.[9][10]

The alternative word fall is now mostly a North American English word for the season. It traces its origins to old Germanic languages. The exact derivation is unclear, the Old English fiæll or feallan and the Old Norse fall all being possible candidates. However, these words all have the meaning "to fall from a height" and are clearly derived either from a common root or from each other. The term came to denote the season in 16th century England, a contraction of Middle English expressions like "fall of the leaf" and "fall of the year".[11]

During the 17th century, English emigration to the British colonies in North America was at its peak, and the new settlers took the English language with them. While the term fall gradually became obsolete in Britain, it became the more common term in North America, where autumn is nonetheless preferred in scientific and often in literary contexts.

And this is what we call "climb."

Fall......not to be confused with the German durchfall which has a whole other meaning.....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

And this is what we call "climb."

Actually, it's called Walking To The Sky and that is a copy of the original. The original is located in Dallas at the Nasher Sculpture Garden, which I very highly recommend visiting.

And I prefer autumn. :respect:

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

DSC_0064.jpg

Because I can :thumbup:

My car at Sawtell headland, taken with my new Nikon camera, please note the equally new reverse camera cunningly mounted in the valance mesh.:welcome:

Edited by USAndretti42
Need a space before an emoticon for it to work

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Roger, as you know from previous posts, I find your Esprit quite beautiful, especially following the recent respray. However, many of us continue to feel that there is an essential ingredient that has gone walkabout for too long a time. I won't insult your intelligence by directly naming this indispensable aerodynamic attachment, nor will I stoop to pointing out its all too obvious mounting location clues. Let me simply say that the 23rd letter of the alphabet comes readily to mind, and that some four letter words are not only acceptable in automotive (and polite society) circles, but indeed encouraged.

And I hope that you remembered to set your parking brake before exiting the vehicle!

ps, the reverse camera installation is very tastefully done.:thumbup:

PICT0169.jpg

In the immortal words John McEnroe..............."YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS" The Airbus wings are smaller than that !

• Gold FFM

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Another tough day at the office.:D

(today, on Lake Travis, air temp 80 degrees, light breeze, eat your heart out)

Some of the lakeside "shacks" (to make me eat my heart out)

DSC_0251.jpg

Meanwhile,,, on the other side of the Pacific (and a little bit south)

I see you've found a use for that wing then John.:whistle: