Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exhaust manifold pinhole caused by spark plug? - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Exhaust manifold pinhole caused by spark plug?

Hi all,

I'm checking out a S3T and the seller is kind enough to point out that there is a pinhole in the exhaust manifold caused by the sparkplug?? I don't understand how that could happen and think maybe we misunderstand eachother.

Is this a known issue?

Regards

Dennis

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies.

I'm a bit puzzled. The explanation I got from the seller is:

The hole is close below the sparg plug exactly at the place where the ignition spark "works". The spark is very strong at Lotus engines and always touches the manifold because the position of the spark plug is too obliquely to the manifold.So (because the spark is logically always at the same place) over the time the cast-iron of the manifold gets to thin down more and more until it`s burnt through and a hole fell in..........

I'm not a technical genius, but it does sound a little weird to me. Is the manifold even close to the spark plugs?? By the way: I'm not trying to put the seller into a bad position, just want to make sure I understand and correct any misunderstandings (possibly caused by a language barrier).

Thanks

Dennis

Spark plugs are inside the combustion chamber, the manifold isn't. He might as well be saying the spark plugs are causing uneven wear on the tyres.

Something very wrong here, either way you need to take

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Well, thing is the car seems to be very nice in the other areas. So I'm trying to figure out: is the seller not understanding the matter or does he have wrong intentions. Because of all the other conversations I've had with him, I tend to believe the first.

I'll have the car checked out by an expert anyway.

Thanks

Dennis

The spark plugs don't touch anything and don't wear holes in anything. Lotus wouldn't have sold a car with an engine that had the pistons battering the plugs on each stroke, they wouldn't have had one leave the forecourt under it's own steam!

Looking at the wording i guess the sellers translation a little off. Is it not more likely he could be referring to splash from water on the manifold. The present translation is impossible and more likely a reference to the heat caused buy the combustion and the manifold being close the engine?

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Looking at the sellers communication in post 4 I can't see it, and there aren't many engines with the manifold further away from the engine, it's usually attached. :clap: Admittedly the Esprit manifold is short and doesn't head straight away from the head and block but alongside it but it's engineered to be there and the extra heat is of benefit.

All in all, if the guy who owns the car knows nothing about cars, how well has he had it maintained and how much mechanical sympathy has the car seen. How long has there been a hole in the manifold, is this his reason to sell, if he keeps the car with this problem what else hasn't he looked after.

Turns out the car has seen regular service from Miles Wilkins (Firbreglass Services). I'll give him a call to understand the manifold/sprak plug issue.

Dennis

It almost sounds to me as though the spark plug boot might be cracked causing a stray spark to jump from the wire to the manifold. I'm not sure if this would make sense as I'd think the head should be the closest jump to ground. Does the seller have any pictures of this pinhole? I'm willing to bet if the case is a bad plug wire that the vehicle would also have at least some sort of misfire issue.

Well, it seems the seller is not quite understanding the issue. We're talking manifold welding or replacement unfortunately. I don't mind pulling the engine, that would be somewhat adventurous.

But I'm not looking for a project car, I want to drive immediately (already have a project car).

Is a car with a pinholed manifold driveable (to get it to my place I mean)?

Can things be repaired with a regular MIG welder (which I have)?

I've read somewhere that the HC Esprit has an 'improved' manifold design. If replacing, do I need that specific model or can I use a previous model manifold?

Thanks in advance!

Dennis

There are many Esprits driving round with either pin holes or cracks in their manifolds, you can do so also. You'll not have the car running as nicely as it should, but it's not the sort of job that means the car must not be driven.

Hi Buddsy, so do I understand correctly that a pinhole doesn't hamper performance?

I've also found some repair putty that stands up to 2000 deg Fahrenheit (from the POR15 guys). Is that high enough?

Regards

Dennis