Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Purchased my project yesterday - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Purchased my project yesterday

wayneb911

Thought i would update everyone and let them know i have purchased my first Esprit project. A project indeed and a huge one! I viewed the car on Saturday and agreed a price with the owner. I have to say its exactly what i am after and comes with plenty of free moss to for the compost pile! Ha ha!!

First thing will be to completely clean the car just so it makes me smile a bit more, moss removal, cob webs etc.

Then i guess it will be engine out for inspection and overhaul. Possibly rebuild but i will evaluate this once its all out. The underneath of the car is not in great shape due to having been sat for so long. It will require all suspension and brakes renewed, bearings bushes etc.

The car is complete thats the main thing. I will take some pictures once i have the car home and in my garage. The pictures i have posted are just the ebay advert ones.

Well what else can i say except i am one very happy person and.... Let the build begin!!!!!

post-6622-1251637311_thumb.jpg

post-6622-1251637322_thumb.jpg

post-6622-1251637332_thumb.jpg

post-6622-1251637341_thumb.jpg

post-6622-1251637350_thumb.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you've got your work cut out. Is that an early S3 then? Would be nice to see it back on the road again.

Hope you have deep pockets as it won't be cheap getting it all back like new again.

Parts fair in Oct/Nov that is being at new venue would be good place to start looking for parts, followed by Ebay, Lotusbits and PNM Engineering. PNM are good for recon, remanufactured, patten and used parts if the other places haven't got them.

Did you get the headlight pods and lights in with the deal?

David

Looks like you've got your work cut out. Is that an early S3 then? Would be nice to see it back on the road again.

Hope you have deep pockets as it won't be cheap getting it all back like new again.

Parts fair in Oct/Nov that is being at new venue would be good place to start looking for parts, followed by Ebay, Lotusbits and PNM Engineering. PNM are good for recon, remanufactured, patten and used parts if the other places haven't got them.

Did you get the headlight pods and lights in with the deal?

David

Yep an early S3 with galvanised chassis. Owner said its a model befor they altered suspension height for US standards? Dont know anything bout them details. Car is complete. Lights are there, engine cover and toneau cover. Carbs are off but have een rebuilt by the owner. Really looking forward to this one. Just been searching ebay for an engine hoist. Used to have one but sold it. Where is the parts fair. I think i will be stripping it and working my ay round so will buy bits as i need them. When it comes to the suspension i will just buy double to do bothe sides even if im only working one side at the time. As i said i plan to at least get it running and the work from there. Im sure the car will be a bottomless pit but that detail i will keep from the other half!!

Well done...!

and at

Hi Wayne,

A guy off this forum bought an engine lift for his V8. His name is Dave Hopwood. He's finished all his work now and says he was selling it. I spoke to him only two days ago so is still should have it. I think he paid

Thanks Dave i will drp him an email latter and see. Ieally i would like to borrow one off someone local so may have to hunt round some of my friends garages. Will only need it to lift in and out once hopefully so would rather spend the money on the car. Well see.

At least you've gone into the purchase eyes wide open, no rose tinted specs or anything. I'm sure you'll find you'll expect the worst and sometimes you'll be right, sometimes it'll far better than you think. There are enough people around the Essex area who'll help, either physically or verbally if you need it, and even more who'll be able to respond to cries for info / advice on here, that's what the forum is great for.

All the best.

Andy

Congratulations on your purchase, I was watching it on ebay, looks like a fun project.

If you want any bits I suggest sjsportscars, Steve's very knowledgeable.

If you want to see what it'll look like when it's back on the road....

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt146/b041ac1/

Tony.

I can see why you were drawn to it.

I saw a similar silver S3 in Oxford about 7-8 months ago but couldn't imaging getting it back on the road. This one looks much better and 'do-able'

IIRC, the Oxford Silver one started at

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

At least you shouldn't get any nasty surprises about the condition. You know it needs a full rebuild. Have fun with it and keep your patience. Post your progress in the restoration section.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Wayne I live near Rayleigh if you need a hand I'll help.

Rayleigh has a few Esprits I know of 4 there! not bad for a small town

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Andy

Thanks Andy im sure i will be knocking on a few email addresses with help required. Looking forward to starting it. I collect the car in a week as the guy was going away so i said to sor it when he is back save rushing around. I think the car will actually be better than i ex[ect and soon as i get it fired up at least im sure i will be smiling lots.

slewthy

I think i got a bargain on it and will post the cost once i have collected the car ass dont want to upset anyone else who was watching until its locked away in my garage!!Ha ha!!

'LooseCannon'

I am liking the colour but i do like white so not sure. I will be keeping the sills as i do like them but i will be after a Turbo front spoiler for the car.

USAndretti42

Thats one good thing, im sure there will be times of stress and im sure you will all hear about it!!

'red vtec'

Fantastic i will give you a post when i have the car home and you can pop past to see what you think. I will be interested to meet up with other Esprit owners in my area to see their cars and chat.

Good luck with your project.

Someone is currently breaking an S3 Esprit on Ebay. Maybe you find something that you need?

S3 breaking on Ebay

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Good luck with your project.

Someone is currently breaking an S3 Esprit on Ebay. Maybe you find something that you need?

S3 breaking on Ebay

Cheers,

Mike S

Thanks Mike, Not sure what i will need yet but im sure the list will grow. Will add them to my fav sellers

Congratulations on your purchase, I was watching it on ebay, looks like a fun project.

If you want any bits I suggest sjsportscars, Steve's very knowledgeable.

If you want to see what it'll look like when it's back on the road....

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt146/b041ac1/

Tony.

Great looking car Tony a really good example

Was watching this one on ebay as well. Glad it's gone to a good home & not found it's way on ebay in may bits, like the red one that's on there now. I made some enquiries on that one. It was only smoke damaged, after speaking to the guy I did wonder why it was broken in the end. Oh well! Means one less esprit but more bits for you if needed. Good luck with the project.

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

Cheers Daz

I think thats why the guy was happy to agree a price also as he didnt want it going to the parts shelf!! Yep all intention of putting it back to its former glory with added extra improvements!!

Hi Wayne

I have been watching you on the site - you have gone into this with more research than most and as Andy Clements said "with eyes wide open"

If we in South Africa don't find it too difficult ,you in the UK , will find it even easier.I like your approach,get it cleaned up first ,which is what we will i am sure see soon.My g-car was a bern find as well and i did exactly that ,cleaned it and got it mobile as soon as possible.I now find the utmost relaxation in chatting to similar/like people and working on my g car.

May you have all the joy that we guys have and may you find Lotus travels more personal than any other manufacturer.

Richard - Cape Town South Africa

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

Thanks Richard i have done a fair bit of research and looking forward to showing evryone the progress. ?Will take some befor and after cleaning shots to

Well done Wayne,

Glad to see you got the motor you where after, Look forward to seeing the project come to life, Make sure you put it in the resto section with plenty of pictures along the journey,

Chuffed you got one regards danny

A

Thanks Danny.

Really pleased with the Esprit. Its exactly what i was after and needs plenty of work which is what i wanted. Least that way i will also know every inch of the car.

Soon as a i have the car home i will post some more pictures of the current condition.

Good stuff Wayne

From a restoration point of view I think you went for the right one out of the 3.

Keep us posted with updates/pictures of your progress and as you may have already worked out, plenty of people will chip in answers on here with any questions you may have.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

Thanks Hilly

Ye soon as i saw the car it grabbed my attention and when i viewed it i had made my mind up that this was the best one for me.

I will post pics shortly to show more detail of the car. I have managed to secure an engine hoist from a friend so the engine will be coming out within the next month to inspect and hopefully get running. Will do all the relivent bits first and hand crank it over. If all goes well then i will pop it back in for a test start. Fingers crossed if not it will be a rebuild it.

One question, how do i find out the history of the car. ie the original build spec and all previouse owners etc. Would like to track the owners back the new and see if there is any more paperwork hiding in people draws! Also just to generally find out more about the car itself.

I think you are a very very brave man Wayne !

Are you going to do all the work yourself ?

I have just finished a full resto on my car and it was heavy going, a tip, try to do something on it most days to keep the momentum going.

Good luck

Matt

The more the merrier :yes: