Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
replacing my bushing with poly bushing - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

replacing my bushing with poly bushing

I'm in the process of replacing my front bushing with Poly bushing... I have everything striped down except I'm having a hard time trying to get the lower pivot bolts to break free from the bushing in the lower wishbone.... Anyone have any tricks or I'm I better of sawing them and replace with new ones...

Cheers

Felix

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a large ratchet to twist the bolt head and a pry bar against the body at the same time to push the bolt through.

They are a bitch. Didn't help one of mine was bent!

Good luck...

you gone for split bushes or the Lotus ones?

Chunky Lover

Felix,

Good to meet you at the weekend, any chance of a few pics of the rebushing? as I fear I need to do this on mine.

Thanks

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

One important detail is that if you are doing the back crack the axle retaining nuts with car still on the ground. If you end up having to cut the bottom pin out as I did (see Jonathan's bit in LEW) you need to get the hub off. With the car in the air, no wheels and no easy way of holding the axle. is not the time to reflect "why didn't I think of that". I had an extension tube on the breaker bar, swinging off that the car was still walking up the incline of the drive before they finally cracked.

(they're tight)

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• 2 weeks later...

The ones you show a close-up of are easy to get out, you'll have to be persistant with the big Metalastic ones. Either press them out with a big (10+ ton) press, or drill the rubber out, get the centre tube out then cut two lines in the outer shell of the bush using a hacksaw and them it should push out easily by hand.

• Gold FFM

Thanks - I'll bear that in mind when I'm hard at it with Felix tomorrow night. It'll be awful tight.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.