Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
IPB 3.0.0 - Forum Info & Help - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

IPB 3.0.0

Bibs

Wanna play?

I'm just testing the next major upgrade we'll be having soon. This is the 2nd major upgrade I've had to complete, it's a once in 3/4 years kind of affair so will be a huge undertaking for both me as admin and for you as users to get used to.

I've installed a test forum which is a Beta version so may be buggy but please feel free to take a peek and have a go!

http://www.test.thelotusforums.com

Please bear in mind that the installation and all info on it will be deleted when there's been enough testing on my part. You need a new account, that will be deleted too!

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Will look some more when at a pc at home. Initial reaction similar to Stefan - majority of my use is on a 3G smartphone and so far it's way slower due to extra buttons & graphics, on-screen mod tools etc. Page size seems roughly double? Can't see how to get a low res version

Hi Guys,

Like you it seems a bit slow but I am on a fast link. Perhaps its the load on the server that hosts the forums?

Also dont forget that most of the graphics on the old site will be cached on you PC / phone etc so do not need to be downloaded - now they do. I suggest we see how things go for a couple of days - if its still slow we burn Bibs at the stake or something....

Alan

Invision, who make this software have invested $$$ and years in this huge version upgrade, which was also beta tested for more than 12 months. I doubt if they'll release software which is not as good as that which came before, just give it time until you get used to it. Alan is also exactly right on how the software sends most of the page framework to your cache so you only have to reload the new parts so after viewing a few pages you'll find it all speeds up nicely for you :lol:

Oh, and there's not a downgrade path! :)

• Gold FFM

Hear what you're saying but ... I've just repeatedly reloaded this page 10 times and each time it's taken over 30sec to load and my traffic monitor says over 750k of data over my 3G connection.

View this page in a proper browser, right click and view it's properties and you'll see it's 31.01kb presently.

To be honest, we can discuss this until we're both blue in the face and won't get anywhere. The software has moved on (6 months ago) and we've caught up with it. It's better than it was, more functional and more secure and there is no possible way that the software can be downgraded so we're stuck with it.

You're welcome to put a match to the kindling but I've also upgraded the firewall*

*sorry! getmecoat.gif

Sitting in a hotel in Dubai and logged in using a card costing 9 pounds for 1 hour. Yup that is correct 9 Pounds and it took me minutes to work out where the damn login link was. I went round in circles clicking before I saw it. It doesn`t exactly jump at you! Still now I know it will not be so long next time. Other than that minor hic-upseems fine enough on first attempts at navigation although I know I have 2 PM`s and a comment waiting for me and neither was flagged up on login unlike before when PM's flagged up immediately.

Al.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Guys - lets give Bibs a bit of time to sort this out. The Esprit forum seems a bit broken at the moment so a bit slow on the Evora forum is a minor problem.

I dont understand why Toms downloads seem so big but part of the reason for it being slow may be that everyone who logs in is downloading all the graphics rather than just the text. This will cause a spike in load on the server that hosts this which may slow things down. This should sort itself out soon

Anyway lets leave Bibs to sort this out for a day or so which will also give us a chance to find the new features / functions.

Alan

Still using last of my hour login. Not meant to be winding anybody up but I reallly struggled to find the PM`s waiting for me and then when Idid I can't reply to them. No option there. I have to start a new mesage or send an e-mail. All the easy functionability has been lost for now at least. I have also noticed that even if I click on last update to a forum thread I get taken to the first but appreciate that may just be because first time there with new software. Anyway no time left. Will play more when home.

BTW. Anybody been to Dubai before? The cars here!!! Some awesome machinery about. I would happily sit at street cafe and watch the worlds most expensive toys just cruise by. I have never seen so many toys in such a small area. Even the wife is playing the spotting game and saying can we not get one of those? Or those? laugh.gif

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

One problem i have discovered with the new layout is that when viewed on my blackberry, it does not show the new posts since my last visit.

otherwise its all good

construction and property consultants : My company

It's selecting a theme which is optimised for mobile devices based on the browser you've arrived here by. You should be able to choose this theme at the bottom of the page which will restore full functionality.

I get this on my iPhone too and it's not brilliant if you want to catch up on stuff, I may disable the feature.

Turned off, hopefully that will make things easier on mobile devices.

Is this turned off just for the Evora forum - I have the rather nice Lotus green / black theme on the Esprit forum.

No big deal, just rather liked it!

Alan

The mobile theme? I've turned it off on all 3 sites. If you liked it you can select it yourself from the dropdown on the bottom left of the pages.

On the bottom LH drop down box the only option I have is IP.Board Lo-Fi. On the Esprit forum I have three choices, this one, General and Black and Green. As I say its no big deal - I just thought it might help you to know they are different (same PC, same browser at the same time).

Alan