Autocar - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Autocar

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the content of some of the comments on Autocar speaks volumes for the igorance of some of the respondents; e.g who owns Lotus? Not exactly informed comment. As for volumes, even if Evora does go to 2000 per annum it will still be a long way from some of the output levels in the past.

On the subject of perceived quality of the Cayman, try this link:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=65298

Edited by amoss

Autocar has now got the handling and performance driving review on line at following link:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/stillatthew...e-cayman-s.aspx

This link is Steve Cropleys First Drive verdict link again:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstD...-3.5-V6/239887/

No comment right now while I digest again but cabin quality again an issue (the only issue?) yet having just sold a 5 year old Boxster it was one aspect that attracted me to the Evora.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Wow, first direct comparison with the Cayman and I'd call that as a solid win for the Lotus.

I'd be interested to understand exactly what the trim issues are that are being mentioned - I'd hope it's something Lotus can focus on in the run up to full production. The good - no, fantastic news is that the one thing that would be hard to change at this point appears to be class leading. The ride and handling gets such consistent praise that Lotus should be very proud of what they've achieved.

I suspect the trim issues are in part due to the dashboard reflections in the windscreen. This has been noted in several reviews already. I'm going for a charcoal interior which should minimise the effect.

If that's the case, I wonder if there is some anti-glare/reflection treatment that could be factory applied to reduce the issue?

Whatever the problems are, Lotus must react fast to make sure that the headlines are about the class leading performance rather than the disappointing trim. To get Porsche owners into Lotus showrooms, the Evora cannot be perceived to be a step down in quality. Not that Porsche owners are shallow :rolleyes:

Now had time to digest the article. He/they are obviously wanting to keep something back for the full driving review in Autocar in a couple of weeks and I wonder if it could be the brakes? No mention of them yet the car has bigger disks than a 911/Cayman/Boxster and is lighter as well. I am assurred by Roger Becker when I discussed the stopping in comparision to a Boxster S that I would in no way be disapointed. This is the sort of thing that they may be keeping back for the paper reviews when they analyse the car area by area. Also it has been and continues to be extremely wet up here (I am only 30 miles away) so ultimate stopping power will not be tested yet. He is giving us enough of a taster to ensure we all by the magazine anyway!

This repeated mention of the reflections worries me I must admit having chosen Oyster and now too late to change even if I wanted to. I hope that the factory can do something quickly on that one as there is nothing more annoying. Carrying a bit of black suede in glovebox coming up?

I am surprised that the back seats keep getting the only fit for 2 year olds comments in various sources when we have seen Tom's older kids sitting quite comfortably on booser seats etc. I have tried to sit behind my own driving position and as a lets say 'chunky' guy with short legs I have enough legroom but restricted head room only. Up to young teenager/smaller adult should be no problem. I wonder do the testers ever actually try these things out?

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

I wonder do the testers ever actually try these things out?

They're probably so stunned by the car that they simply forget those things and just copy & Paste it later while writing their review. :rolleyes:

"You can't treat a car like a human, a car needs love" -Walter R

The trouble is that one person quips this and others copy the comment verbatim. As you say, no-one tests it out but to be fair would you expect a journo to either take some kids or ask a couple of random kids on the street to sit in the back of their car? :rolleyes::(

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

having discussed the potential reviews with the other half over last weekend and what the journos might say my expectations were:

a. fantastic handling

b little underpowered

c. interior not as good as the likes of porshce / audi etc

a & c were always really a 'a given' in reality.

To date there seems to be no real issues with being underpowered which is a great and finally commmiting to a sub 5 sec 0-60 is another real bonus.

cant wait to get a chance to drive it, which i suspect will finally push me into buying it

Anyone interested in a nice 2003 111S which i now need to sell for the Evora fund?

construction and property consultants : My company

Having driven lots of 911s and a couple of Boxsters, and having sat in three Evoras, I much prefer the ambiance of the Evora.

You feel much more cocooned in the Lotus. The only Porsche where I felt that was the Carerra GT and that has massive sills so is almost Elise-like to get in and out of.

That's not to say the materials and fit of the Lotus are as good as that of Porsche but I prefer the Lotus as a place to be.

Simon

Having driven lots of 911s and a couple of Boxsters, and having sat in three Evoras, I much prefer the ambiance of the Evora.

Simon

Reading all these comments about ambience and fit etc. on coming back from the Press Launch on Monday and having sat in 2 cars there again I was wanting to jump into a Boxster or Cayman to compare. I had sold my 986 (prior to present facelift) version Boxster S in preparation for the Evoras arrival and without doubt the Evora is a huge step forward in so many ways. In fact the interior was one of the biggest selling points for us as the Porsche had been so low rent and plastic with poor gaps.

So I jumped into my neighbours fairly highly spec'd up Boxster RS60 Special Edition instead and although much better than my generation Boxster had been I do not believe it had anything like the ambience of the Evora. Just so happened another mate came round in his new TT with a well spec'd interior in 2 tone red/black. This is another car which is a nominal 2+2 a 3.2 V6 and very driver focussed interior. It for me is better than the Porsche and closer to the Evora but I'd still put the Evora ahead especially for first time visitors to the cabin. It just says sports car and expensive to me. However like most on this forum I am just ever so slightly biased!

Al.

Guy

Don't say things like that, otherwise we may have to pay a visit when we come up for the Elise Garden Party at the end of the month................(boggy 111r for the Evora fund here)

Edited by AndyShep

I am surprised that the back seats keep getting the only fit for 2 year olds comments in various sources when we have seen Tom's older kids sitting quite comfortably on booser seats etc. I have tried to sit behind my own driving position and as a lets say 'chunky' guy with short legs I have enough legroom but restricted head room only. Up to young teenager/smaller adult should be no problem. I wonder do the testers ever actually try these things out?

I spent a bit of time in the Evora at Donnington, making sure the gear stick worked as you do :rolleyes: and liked it very much, I was comfortable inside and it didn't take any special positions to enter or exit the car.

I'm 6'2" however and I found that for me to be truly comfortable in the car the seat was back ALL the way which meant the seat was actually pushed into the foam of the rears, but then again I'm a big fumbling fat oaf who's forever been jealous of those who can comfortably fit in their Esprits!

Trying to recover the situation I asked Lisa to come take a look and jump inside, she was happy with the front and being only 5' and very few inches she decided to pull the seat forward and have a climb into the back to try it out for size, this was followed by an almighty THUNK....!! as her head smacked against the roof whilst she tried to sit back, holding back the tears she told the slightly panicked Lotus staff member that she was indeed fine.

Truth be told though she didnt fit well at all and told me there was no way she'd sit in the back even on a trip to the local pub or Tesco let alone a journey of any kind. It disapointed me somewhat as I really did hope there would be enough room for 2 small people in the back or for the 'yet to be born' kids to spend a good few years back there. If I get one its going to be a 3 seater MAX which is a real shame, would have loved to have taken the folks out for dinner in it occasionally, or maybe even the mates who'll no doubt want to go for a blast togeather.

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

It sounds like it's going to be a question of body/leg length. The quoted sizes all assume you've got 'average' proportions, but if you've got unusually long legs for your height, or a long torso you might be less comfortable than you'd like.

Out of interest Simon, have you tried out a 911 for comparison?

Not been in a 911 for a VERY long time, since I was about 16 I think and that was in the back along with my brother and I remember it was not very comfortable!

I've never looked at one as a posssible car option as I just dont like Porches, well I never used to, some of them I could be tempted with but it just seems that they are everywhere in one guise or another!

As far as my body proportions go, I'm fairly average on the body to leg size, its just the middle bit I struggle to keep under control!

Chunky Lover

A friend has a 997 Turbo and a 996 Turbo Convertible which I drive from time to time. I've not been in the back of the 997 and only been in the back of the 996 with the roof down but I get the impression that there is a bit more space in the back of the Porsche. When I went to the factory day I drove up in this: http://www.classiccarclub.co.uk/cars/porsche911t.asp and there is a *lot* more space in the back of that.

Simon

• Gold FFM

Evora test is the cover story in the print magazine published today. Very positive write up: "not just a great Lotus - it's good enough to beat the world's best".

• Gold FFM

Rather than break copyright, you could try their back issues/subscriptions department: autocar.subs@qss-uk.com or +44 (0)20 8495 4662 then option 3. If you can't sort it that way, let me know before Saturday and I'll go buy an extra copy - can do similar with the monthlies if you're stuck.

BTW, well done Bell & Colvill for taking the whole inside back cover for an Evora advert.

Thanks for the offer! :rolleyes: I think I'll survive not reading this article though, I guess there wasn't much "new" stuff in it anyway, that hasn't already been posted on their website or somewhere else

"You can't treat a car like a human, a car needs love" -Walter R