Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Real world useability of rear seats - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Real world useability of rear seats

neal

Out of interest how useable are the rear seats ?

Are they purely for kids or could an adult (say 5' 10) sit in one for an hours journey ?

Haven't seen any pics or comments of adults in the back. Probably because they can't fit in there ?

Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My wife (about 5'10'') has done a few journeys in the back (with one car sick 7 year old twin in the front and the other 7 year old behind me) - it's technically possible therefore.....but it looks pretty uncomfortable in the rear view mirror.....head sideways etc - I certainly wouldn't do it at 6', even if I was 5'10'' I wouldn't do it.

The lotus tech talk, at the factory meet, say the back is comfortable for individuals up to 5 feet. From the guys that tried the back this would seem to be about right.

Edited by AFE

The problem with kids is the car seats.

We have a 2 and a 1 year old so needed two group 1 car seats. Theses are simply too large to fit even next to each other so ironically smaller kids have a harder time fitting in the back. I've asked the dealer and they are waiting for a response from the factory if there are any group 1 seats that fit but nothing so far (couple months now).

The 2 year old could scrape into a group 2 booster which could free up some room but even if the group1 did fit it wouldn't be able to tilt back so no comfy sleeping for the 1 year old.

The other problem is that as they are younf their knees don't reach the edge of the seat so don't bend with feet sticking out. I'm 5'10 and had the drvers setup uncomfortably close and couldn't fit without the kids feet hitting the back of the seat.

My wife is 5'4 and refused to sit in the back if we got one as she needed to sit head to one side.

We needed to be able to do occassional journies with kids in the back seat and until they get to about 4 there's just no way I can see this happening.

This was on a dealer demo that hadn't been updated

Why don't you speak to other dealers to see what Audi recommend for the TT, Nissan for the GTR etc. There must be a solution for 911/XK/TT's etc? Seats suitable for 5-9 year olds only would be a bit restrictive sales wise.

Or ask Bibs if he wouldn't mind using his contacts to expedite an answer from Lotus. Surely they must have considered this from day one.

Thanks for your comments.

I currently drive a TT and my kids are ok at the moment in the back, but they're growing fast and it won't be long before its going to start getting a bit cramped and uncomfortable for them. I was hoping the Evora might be a bit more generous but it seems its a very similar space to the TT.

I'll have to visit a dealer and try them out for size.

GTR isn't much better.. if not exactly the same.

If Lotus could make the seat base/back removable (either in one piece or in two) then it would allow a car seat to seat further back and give plenty of room. Given the rules on car seats it's not really needed - esp as the aggressive sculpting reduces the amount of space available on the rear seat.

It does seem that most manufacturers don't really expect the rear seats of coupes to be used!

(just look in the back of a db9!)

There are no stage 1 seats in the UK yet, hopefully next year there will be availability however you can buy currently Maxi-cosi ISOFIX seats in the USA which will do the job you're after. I'm sure it's a ballache having to buy stuff from the States if you're over here but with the internet etc nowadays and cheap freight it is a viable solution if you really want seats for tiny kids. :)

http://www.maxi-cosi.com/maxicosi/default.aspx

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I have a similar dilemma with 1yr old boy - maxi cosi priorifix does not fit. The evora manual recommends a Recaro young sport E1 04301171 group 1 / 2 / 3 but as non-ISOFIX type child seats. i will be checking this out on the tinterweb tomorrow

I have the same problem and since test driving the car in July have been trying to get Lotus (via B&C) to confirm which Group 1 seat would actually work with my 2 year old. My existing Maxi-Cosi Tobi was definitely a no-go, although it did demonstrate an alternative use for the shoulder cut-outs in the Recaros: my daughter's feet stuck right though them and that was with the driver's seat slightly short of my preferred position (and I'm a mere 5'9''). It was a briefly amusing sight :-).

I've had a deposit down for over a year now, but cannot commit finally until it can be demonstrated that we will be able to take our children, even if only for the occasional short trip.

The latest I have heard is that Maxi-Cosi have a new ISOFIX seat system http://www.maxi-cosi-familyfix.com/en/maxi-cosi-pearl.htm which has been tested with the Evora. It is not available in the UK until January, but there do appear to be some web-based stores in Holland who already have it.

I couldn't vouch for whether this seat really will work and won't be committing until I've seen it in the flesh (and in the Evora), but it does look fairly promising compared to most child seats I've looked at (and I've looked at many). The main problem with most is the bulky framework behind the seat itself, which brings the entire seating area several inches forward. This new seat does appear to be more compact.

Out of interest how useable are the rear seats ?

Are they purely for kids or could an adult (say 5' 10) sit in one for an hours journey ?

Haven't seen any pics or comments of adults in the back. Probably because they can't fit in there ?

Going back to original question as others are answering all the baby/child seat questions. I am a 'chunky' 5' 8" and can get in behind my own driving position - just -if the drivers seat is slightly forward of normal. So there is ar*e and legroom if my shape but no headroom. You have to lean right over other side so two similar adults could not do the same thing. It is okay to sit side saddle almost forcing you do do without without seatbelt for a short joursey to pub say, but no more. My wife is about 5'4" and she will not get in the back other than the same way.

I was advised to take the back seats by 'everybody' Lotus and Dealer wise when I committed way back for resale purposes only. I never intended to use back seats anyway and was originally an owners spec car when I first ordered. I can vouch for getting 10 Tesco bags in the back no problem without being full however!

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Agreed on the 2+0 vs 2+2.

You are not losing much if any space by having the seat v's the shelf and when selling on it's a bit easier. The main issue is with a 2+2 there are fewer cars you'd want to compare it with but when you start adding in 2 seaters then it gets more complicated. I've seen 1 year old v8 vantage cheaper than a evora and it's decisions like that make it harder to sell a 2+0.

Going back to original question as others are answering all the baby/child seat questions. I am a 'chunky' 5' 8" and can get in behind my own driving position - just -if the drivers seat is slightly forward of normal. So there is ar*e and legroom if my shape but no headroom. You have to lean right over other side so two similar adults could not do the same thing. It is okay to sit side saddle almost forcing you do do without without seatbelt for a short joursey to pub say, but no more. My wife is about 5'4" and she will not get in the back other than the same way.

I was advised to take the back seats by 'everybody' Lotus and Dealer wise when I committed way back for resale purposes only. I never intended to use back seats anyway and was originally an owners spec car when I first ordered. I can vouch for getting 10 Tesco bags in the back no problem without being full however!

Thanks for the info - very useful.

I have ordered a Recaro yound sport seat today, which should be delivered tomorrow. I will let you know - the manual states "The following non-isofix type child seats have been approved for use in the Evora using the standard fitment lap and diagonal seat belts" with the footnote that "on 2+2 cars, suitable for fitment in passenger side rear seat with front passenger seat in mid-position".

We shall see....

I have ordered a Recaro yound sport seat today, which should be delivered tomorrow. I will let you know - the manual states "The following non-isofix type child seats have been approved for use in the Evora using the standard fitment lap and diagonal seat belts" with the footnote that "on 2+2 cars, suitable for fitment in passenger side rear seat with front passenger seat in mid-position".

We shall see....

Might be a good idea to post some photo's of the seat in the car.

My kids are a bit big for the rear seats, it's the driving seat they want when I get the car.

I am interested in a child seat for the grandchildren though!

• Gold FFM

My post from some time ago has got rather lost (originally on a B&C events thread), so here it is again:

One of the main reasons I was over at B&C was to try out my children in the back seats in their child car seats. Here are a couple of external shots and there are more over on my Flickr account here.

3372684673_3c998599d9.jpg

3373499436_06b274f109.jpg

My 3- and 7-year olds happily sat in the back for 30 mins or so while I chatted to Rob Savin about the various child seat manufacturers who are currently accrediting their seats for the Evora. Some will even trim the seat to match the Evora's interior leather.

With the drivers seat set for the right driving position for me (I'm 5'8") and a comfy passenger seat setting, my two were fine on leg room, head room and had a decent view out of the side windows:

3372735337_649e7b36e7_m.jpg3372736363_d75d24aa01_m.jpg3372732339_afcce06440_m.jpg

These pics were re-hosted in several places and it caused some speculation on LotusTalk (mainly US membership) that prompted me to post some more explanation over there:

UK child seat requirements are a bit complicated. The younger kids basically go in a full wrap-around seat that is either held by the seat belts or the child seat is of a type that engages with hard points on the car (Isofix). These wrap-around seats are bulky, to varying degrees depending on model, both under the kid's seat/legs and behind their back. You can see my 3-year old in a seat like this: fairly chunky as it's the one from my wife's Volvo XC90 (so not bought with space constraints in mind!) and it does bring littl'un up and forward. OK, she can't swing her legs to kick the front seat (and you call this a problem?!) but equally her legs aren't pinched - this with the passenger seat set so me at 5'8" can sit with legs fully extended. There are other less bulky child seats for this age group, so I'm OK with it.

When they get a bit older, they go onto a seat more like an "L" shape, less bulky and the part under the child's seat/legs and behind back is thinner, so they'd move an inch or two back, away from the front seat. There was space behind my 3-year old's legs, but the junior seat held behind her knee and prevented her using the space - that would be available on the mid age seat.

Older still and they go onto a booster, the "_" part of the "L", which is what my 7-year old is on in the pics. She's sat behind the driver's seat, which I'd adjusted to suit me at 5'8". Key to making it work was her having her feet flat on the floor under the front seat. Granted, if you are taller or your kids are bigger you'd probably want to go and try some experiments for yourself. But I'm happy that my kids will fit for several years yet. And it's not the main family car and they won't be in it every time it's driven. Probably before they've outgrown it they won't want to be seen out with their deeply uncool dad and his mid life crisis car anyway.

• Like 1

I had a feeling that picture may surface here. Just for the record that's me breaking my neck behind the driver's seat, leg room was just fine but head room was impossible. It could be done if you were the only passenger in the back and could perhaps lean over but I'm not sure how safe that would be hanging out of your seat belt. I'm 5'7" and in my opinion just a few inches too tall to fit in.

Er...

I seem to recall a test drive being undertaken with me, at 6ft 3" in the back..!

Do you remember that Bibs and Laura?

That was only cos I didnt trust you to go out on your own.. how the hell did you talk me in to borrowing my demonstrator last weekend :)

Thanks for the info - very useful.

Today was the first time we have tried to use back seats for sitting in then driving anywhere when we visted friends. It was only for about 2~3 miles to a pub so we reduced drivers from 2 to 1. 3 different people tried the seats for a journey.

5'7" male was struggling splayed knees and no headroom. Head over to one side. I had drivers seat almost fully forward although still quite drivable and I am about 5' 8"

5'3" female fitted okay with passengers seat fully forward but was complaining of sore neck not to mention 'ruined' hairdo due to restricted headroom.

5'1" female fitted perfectly and had headroom to spare. Said she could have gone far back there (not quite sure what that exactly meant after many drinks :):P

I have photos but nothing to be gained over the other other posting.

Basically above 5'2" there are going to be issues which is what Lotus have previously said. Biggest problem was getting in and out of the drivers seat with seat fully forward as normally I slide seat all the way back every time I get in and out.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

that clarifies it even further thanks - not in a position to purchase new but maybe in a couple of years I'll see how the used market is. trouble is kids will be even bigger then. but 90% of the time I'm in my car by myself as we used the wifes 7 seater, so maybe I'll be able to justify still owning a 2+2 and hopefully an evora. in the meantime I'll continue looking at the forum in envy !

Edited by TomE
no need to quote the immediately preceding post

• 11 years later...

Anyone recommend a booster seat for the rear so the legs dangle down more rather than outwards at an angle? 

I have a 4ft8 who doesn’t require one and one at 4ft2 and still needs one. 

really would love to try and Evora but need to ensure they fit for the odd journeys