Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Various defects - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Various defects

I have swithered about this post as I wasn't sure I wanted to be seen as "slagging" the Evora off and I know other owners have had issues but not written about them and wasn't sure of Forum protocol. However I have decided that I would as:

a) All relatively minor items easily fixed.

b.) Dealer has been great in finding a solution to problems.

c) Dealer was keen to hear in writing my problems and thoughts so that they can be forwarded to Lotus themselves as they are receptive to the issues.

Finally d) When I have heard that other owners had similar (in some cases) issues, it made me feel better about my problems in a perverse way. So hopefully this post will may assist others which is surely one of the reasons for the Forum's very existence?

The text below is straight from the e-mail sent to dealer for forwarding to Lotus.

Defects:

1) Central locking is a disaster. Locked out of car as first the drivers door then passengers refused to open on the external latch. Botton seems to pop up up okay but in fact hasn't gone enough. As car sits in my garage very close to a wall on nearside I was nearly locked out of it. Since fixing last Friday the passengers side has gone again.

2) Air conditioning has not worked since delivery day. Does not change air temperature at all.

3) Headlights were set far to high and blinding everybody I sat behind never mind faced. Now adjusted too far other way but easy fix.

4) Headlights steam up when used in rain.

5) Annoying rattle from top centre of dash. In area of twin vents. Metalic and noticable if car jiggles on road surface at higher speeds or say when painted speed strips on the road approaching roundabouts. (other squeeks and rattles can be ignored but this one is bad when happens)

6) Gearstick reverse detent collar rattles particularly when changing gear so much that passengers have asked if a problem.

7) Boot lock although unlocking okay did not pop a few millimeters so that it became 2 handed job one to lift and one to hit button otherwise it remained locked.

8) Fuel filler cap seal has come off twice.

9) Fuel filler cap does not readily lock down requiring pressing mainly around hinge area to engage I have found out.

10) Have noticed that doors fill with lots of water and do not drain when car sitting. My drive is on a slight slope and after overnight heavy rain when opening doors whithout changing angle about a pint of water drained out from holes lower part, front of door. On both. Can't be good to have that water building up in door. Drains externally and not internaly at least.

11) Towing eye is not plugged and the present nicely greased hole will not remain that way for long as facing forward into spray and salt etc.

12) Gearbox baulks occasionaly going into 1st & 3rd particularly if cold.

13) Spring loaded neutral position is not directly opposite 3rd & 4th by about 1mm so somtimes feels to be baulking going into say 3rd approaching a roundabout after running in neutral, when in fact just not lined up fully. Will probably wear in time.

Points we have noted for consideration:

1) The ariel system must be poor as some stations have very poor reception when other family cars all pick up strongly in the same location.

2) As far as I can see the Alpine unit does not dim with dash lights or on a dimmer. Has two settings I have found and I am in lowest.

3) Driving position is not great for shorter people. I am 5' 8" ish Something fundemental wrong for the first time ever in a car I am finding I am too close to the wheel. Wheel is as far forward as it will go. If I position seat so I can depress clutch on a stretch (and therfore not ideal position) I am still very bent armed.

4) Open the tailgate when wet and water runs/drips into luggage space.

5) Water builds up in the door top scallop even on the level. Open door without care and it runs off and soaks you. Also in the handle recess but that is less volume. See attached.

6) Door stay detents are totally inefective so any slope and the door shuts on you. My drive is on a slight slope and door always closes.

7) No vanity mirror in a car of this price is ridiculous. (Wife's instruction)

8) Heated seats to be at least an option. This will be essential on our Cabrio when we get it :) (Wife's instruction)

9) Engine sounds poor below 2K. It is a flat farting sound and not sports car sound. As so much torque and car so highly geared you can be in this area a lot on roads when not wanting to stir gearbox running along in traffic. I am not saying needs to be louder - that can be the sport exhaust option - but needs to sound better.

10) Door mirror controls are an erogonomic disaster. I can't hold control through handle at all due to size of hands and have to twist hand round the front of handle. Smaller hands will be okay I suspect, as wife is fine.

11) Launch Edition plate looks an after thought stuck on by the apprentice as so much excess glue there.

Sounds like I am maybe hacked off but I am not. Still loving the car after my Boxster S and it is much admired but if Lotus wish to continue to attract conquest customers from the competition who are maybe not so sold on the performance, heritage or racing image as I am then these sort of things should be looked at. My wife being the classic example! It also has helped with us both being hacked off at Porsche.

post-164-125654903867_thumb.jpg

post-164-12565490637_thumb.jpg

Edited by Al.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is near mandatory to document issues like these as well. Quite some stuff quality-related, which should definitely alarm Lotus. And re the rain issues - it has always amazed me how a British car manufacturer can fully disregard driving in the rain, best example has to be the 340R, which manages to send half of the rain splash from the outer mirror straight into the driver's eyes, and the other half soaking down into the alcantara - I will never ever understand that *lol*

Hopefully all the issues will be solved by Lotus. Some years ago, one would have said "well, its a Lotus". Now *they* want to play in a different league, so I consider it just fair to raise these issues.

Edited by Stefan

wasn't sure of Forum protocol.

Just to clarify forum protocol; post whatever you like, good or bad. We're owners and enthusiasts and represent the end user and have no formal connection with Lotus so feel free to deride them if they've done bad or praise them if they've done good. No punches need be pulled and you're right insomuch that the forum is to share experiences and make ownership a more pleasurable experience and indeed a cheaper one once your warranty has run out!

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

To be honest, probably the most relevant Posts to be made on these types of Forums are Problems & Fixes. Furthermore, since I'm still waiting with my order

and using you guys as Guinea Pigs (tongue.gif), I found this list highly interesting, thanks! Hopefully you get your Problems fixed!

2) Let's just pray this isn't a chronic Problem with the Evora. A few mid-engined cars have this problem due to the long piping needed to reroute the

cold medium from the compressor at the back, to the front... I don't even bother fixing it on my car anymore, since the pipe always brakes.

5) (Water) I have a similar problem on my car (again). Not many options for a fix here :)

I fixed it by drilling a small hole. Obviously, this will only be an option for the door handle. And even there it might be wise to reroute the water

using a small tube. But on a 70.000

"You can't treat a car like a human, a car needs love" -Walter R

Having met with Al a few weeks a go we did discuss any related themes of problems and agree that in common we had:

1. Rattle in the dashboard - fixed

2. Issues with opening the boot - is it or is it not, using two hands resolves this.

Apart from these two common 'points', our dealer list for first service was relatively small, what wasn't was the cost of the 'free first service'- labour only, total cost

Deposit Paid 25.07.08

Delivery Date: 10.09.08

3) Headlights were set far to high and blinding everybody I sat behind never mind faced. Now adjusted too far other way but easy fix.

Thats shocking - technically you could get pulled for that.

I don't think the units are sealed so they will always get a little condensation on them. Been the same with elises too.

12) Gearbox baulks occasionaly going into 1st & 3rd particularly if cold.

13) Spring loaded neutral position is not directly opposite 3rd & 4th by about 1mm so somtimes feels to be baulking going into say 3rd approaching a roundabout after running in neutral, when in fact just not lined up fully. Will probably wear in time.

If it was just 12 I'd say it was down to a new gearbox needed some miles but with 13 that reeks of the gear selector cables needing adjusting.

Apart from these two common 'points', our dealer list for first service was relatively small, what wasn't was the cost of the 'free first service'- labour only, total cost

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

comments on your comments:

Defects:

1) Central locking is a disaster.

All fine, but small irritation - have car set to lock on drving away. However then requires 2 preses of manual switch to unlock car. Doors shud unlock on pull of interior handle.

Are you sure? I though mine had water inside but closer inspections howed was refelection of the rain on outside, by the super clean and shiny interior light pod surface, making it look like water droplets were on the inside.

9) Fuel filler cap does not readily lock down requiring pressing mainly around hinge area to engage I have found out.

a 'feature'?

Points we have noted for consideration:

1) The ariel system must be poor as some stations have very poor reception when other family cars all pick up strongly in the same location.

I agree. Crap, especially given how much the stereo unit cost with the non-optional addition of Imprint.

2) As far as I can see the Alpine unit does not dim with dash lights or on a dimmer. Has two settings I have found and I am in lowest.

Agreed. Taken to driving with screen off @ night to avoid glare. I have changed the colour to sepia (I think - anyway the softer browny-red colour)

5) Water builds up in the door top scallop even on the level. Open door without care and it runs off and soaks you. Also in the handle recess but that is less volume. See attached.

Agreed - wet shoes one morning and not made that mistake since!

6) Door stay detents are totally inefective so any slope and the door shuts on you. My drive is on a slight slope and door always closes.

Not just me then huh?!

8) Heated seats to be at least an option. This will be essential on our Cabrio when we get it smile.gif (Wife's instruction)

totally with you, esp as takes 10-15 mins to warm the interior

10) Door mirror controls are an erogonomic disaster. I can't hold control through handle at all due to size of hands and have to twist hand round the front of handle. Smaller hands will be okay I suspect, as wife is fine.

I can work these but would add 1) mirrors should fold on locking the car. 2)LH Mirror should dip on selecting reverse

• 3 weeks later...

what was the problem diagnosed, and the solution to the central locking problem you experienced? Mine did the same for the first time tonight, a pain in the ass and the only way of getting in will be with a brick if not careful, which will be fun for the dealer to fix

What's encouraging from this thread is that Lotus seem to be interested in learning from their mistakes, I guess some of these can and will be addressed in production cars as they go, simply modifying components, some such as the rain collectors may take longer to resolve due to it being a whole body angle issue. Now I guess time will tell.

what was the problem diagnosed, and the solution to the central locking problem you experienced? Mine did the same for the first time tonight, a pain in the ass and the only way of getting in will be with a brick if not careful, which will be fun for the dealer to fix

The solution was almost brick like you but the rain that night probably stopped me.

The symptoms were the central locking seemed to unlock the car in as much as buttons popped up but latch was dead. First time it was drivers door only and after a real struggle I managed to squeeze into car on passengers side as tight in garage. Then it seemed fine for about 2 days. 2nd time it happened neither door would open and car in gear handbrake off in garage. I found the key in passenger door opened it that extra 2mm or so and door opened however alarm also went off so don't be caught out. Clears on the key buttons okay. I had been contemplating 2 trolley jacks under car to roll it back enough to get in but garage is at top of slope and I had bad vibes! A neighbours small daughter slipped in that time and popped the drivers door for me. After that I left car in the drive until first dealer fix. Had to use key in passenger door each time.

Dealer reported was that there were rods in the door that needed adjusting. That was a Friday. Car worked well for 24 hours then drivers went again and until the Tuesday the only way in was via nearside and lean over to lift drivers button 2mm or so which also meant keeping car in drive again.

Since that Tuesday (27th) the car has been back at dealer because I am offshore and we agreed I'd raher do that than loose car time at home. I have been told all my list is rectified and car being returned by low loader soon.

Good luck with yours.

What I find strange is that there is only one key operated door lock and that is on the passenger side of a right hand drive car.

If like Al your garage is narrow (as is mine, although I am sure some folks will point out I don't actually have my Evora yet) you have to have the car as far over to the left of the garage as possible in order to get the drivers door open far enough to get out. I have that problem with both my Esprit and Elise in my tandem garage.

Come on Lotus why is there no key operated lock on BOTH doors on the Evora. This car is supposed to be designed for the Global market place not just for market places that have the wheel on the WRONG side of the car!!!

intermittent fault and I think somewhat temp dependent. Fine when car cold, sticky when warm. Solution at the mmoment is to keep locking / unlocking on th blipper til the thing pops enough to open the door.

Dear Dany Bahar - I'd expect a 6k car to lock and unlock properly, it's kinda basic. On a 60k car this sort of problem is amateur night. Even my Exige worked fine. Sort it out! Since when was it reasonable not to be able to open both doors with a key? (for your ref my car will be at B&C for the run in service and niggles list pretty soon)

You're not gonna get people out of their Porsches until the doors lock, are you?

They have known about the locking/unlocking problem sine June! It was one of the problems to be addressed when the dealer demos went back. Disappointing to hear the customer cars have the problem. As you say, doesn't happen on a Porsche.

Regarding the problem of one key operated lock, most manufacturers rely on key fob unlocking and only provide a single key position to be used in case of a problem. European norm is on the left which may have something to do with it.

As a few minor defects have been reported by others, I thought i would add my (very positive) experience to date.

I collected the car 22nd Oct, so approaching 4 weeks now.

Done circa 1,100 miles and just back from first service.

The only faults to report at first service were:

1. Carpet Fitting needed minor correction at side of seat (when the seat was installed I guess the carpet had been dislodged slightly and was not a perfect fit - remedy to loosen the seat mounting, move the carpet about 1cm and refix seat mounting).

2. Tiny mark on the light coloured headling trim near the seat belt mounting - dealer has ordered new trim piece.

Thats it.

There is a bit of wind noise from the window (seal?) - but i am not sure if "they all do that sir" ? or there is a problem with the window / seal - any feedback from other owners on this most welcomed.

Having had an Elise for 3 yrs i am used to lots of noise so i really dont know if this is a fault or a feature?

So far so very good - fingers crossed it stays that way.

:)

construction and property consultants : My company

Sorry to hear about your niggles with the new car.

In my opinion its appalling that a car costing £60k should have faults like the central locking and a/c not working and the gearbox problem, nevermind a badge stuck on with too much glue.

It seems that Lotus's quality control hasn't improved since I had my Esprit, Elan and Elise in the 90's. I was always taking them back and forth to the dealer for similar problems. My Elan suffered they same gearbox problem and was looked at several times including a Lotus engineer visiting the dealer, who said it wasn't a fault but my style of driving !

As you say, they really need to sort these things out if they are going to win over new customers. Relying on handling and their heritage isn't enough, but die hards like us seem to be able to shrug such things off because our love of all things Lotus and our desire to own one. I can't believe I would even contemplate wanting to own another Lotus but I do and hope to again soon (I must be mad!)

I hope you get them sorted and Lotus improve their QA.

Edited by thebirkettgang

Sorry to hear about your niggles with the new car.

I hope you get them sorted and Lotus improve their QA.

Thanks for the thoughts! Well I hope to be able to report back soon that everything has been resolved.

The car was delivered back to my home today in advance of my arrival back home on Thursday so here's hoping next Friday evening I am all :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: and not :detective::mellow::censored:

:rolleyes:

There is a bit of wind noise from the window (seal?) - but i am not sure if "they all do that sir" ? or there is a problem with the window / seal - any feedback from other owners on this most welcomed.

Appears that Mat (post After Market Exhaust) has an issue with 'door seals', our door seal didn't seal completely on drivers side but this was down to a different issue, fixed for moment with potential return to factory to resolve the 'core issue'

Edited by bolly girl

Deposit Paid 25.07.08

The car was delivered back to my home today in advance of my arrival back home on Thursday

Well my tracker works anyway :)

Just got the full story tonight on the phone. :lol: This is my first car requiring a Tracker fitted therefore we are new to what will no doubt be a common problem. Car was sent to home from garage on Friday in back of truck. Truck sets off at 08:00 and by 08:10 Tracker HQ on the phone to SWMBO asking for me but not saying who they were initially.

She says "Sorry not available right now"

Tracker "Oh can we phone his mobile or do you know where he will be?"

"Well he is out of the country right now and it will be off"

Tracker now sounding concerned explain who they are and why calling. Car is in vicinity of Edinburgh airport (think I've left it there as abroad) and saying car is currently on the move at 40mph with out use of key!

This confused her for a bit as she didn't think it was started, (it wasn't) but then the location as currently 1 mile from dealer heading our way it all fell into place. :rofl:

Oops really sorry but excuse, excuse etc. (Aparently it was all my fault and I am an idiot of course, despite me describing this very scenario when we got it fitted last month)

On mentioning to driver when he arrived he didn't bat an eyelid as must happen to him frequently as it is was the dealers Aston Martin truck doing the drop off. "Oh well at least you know it works then"

Ooops. We will remember for the next time. :)

Just thought I'd tell the story as maybe a few of us new to Trackers with this value or group of car. Previously my Porsches never required it but I aparently hit a value rather than performance threshold.

When I put my car into the garage for service I phone my tracker company and get them to put it in "Valet" mode for the day. Usually when I pick it up I phone them to start monitoring again.

The car was in this time for 8 days which caused a bit of a problem as they can only put it in Valet mode for 72 hours at a time. When the 72 hours expired though they phoned me to check where the car was ( it was on the ramps with the discs away for skimming) and extended the valet mode for another 72 hours.

I know mine works because very occasionally I forget to have the tag with me when I take the car out of the drive. It is so sensitive that even if I move the car with the tag in the car and get out of the car to close/open the gates I get a phone call.

It wasn't a requirement for me when I got the Esprit but I chose to have it fitted and it got me a 10% reduction in the insurance premium.

• Gold FFM

interesting things to read about, especially as Lotus isn't any different than other manufacturers on this: the customer is the 'test-driver' for productionline & QD.. :X

What me wonders is the thing with the door-lock . As far as i see it: the door-lock system is derivated from FORD company components/component sources, right !? So it should not be that much different than any Ford of the late 90th/mid 2000 years ? If an Aston does have doorlocks for both market groups, why is it not the same in a Lotus...

Hope you Evora guys will find an way for the problems with your cars. And after all , just imagine how long the Esprit was in production -even with its 'specialty's' :rofl:

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

OK, hands up, we have just joined the central locking in/out posse. Back to dealers on Thur for assessment cry.gif

Al - Tracker: as with you we are new to this game and I wasn't aware we had to notify anybody if it was likely to 'low loaded' without the key in ignition, must be in the very small print hrhr.gif

Deposit Paid 25.07.08

Well home again and reunited with my new mistress. Listed below are the original list of defects and progress so far. A mixed bag really.....

1) Central locking is a disaster. Locked out of car as first the drivers door then passengers refused to open on the external latch. Botton seems to pop up up okay but in fact hasn't gone enough. As car sits in my garage very close to a wall on nearside I was nearly locked out of it. Since fixing last Friday the passengers side has gone again. Would appear to be working fine now. Only time will tell if it remains like this.

2) Air conditioning has not worked since delivery day. Does not change air temperature at all. I have a problem here! Air temp outside is so low at freezing or close to since I came home I cannot tell if it is doing anything now as just blowing outside air in will be cold. :thumbup:

3) Headlights were set far to high and blinding everybody I sat behind never mind faced. Now adjusted too far other way but easy fix. Fixed perfectly.

4) Headlights steam up when used in rain. Not fixed and I'd now say worse than ever with about 50% steamed up almost all the time.

5) Annoying rattle from top centre of dash. In area of twin vents. Metalic and noticable if car jiggles on road surface at higher speeds or say when painted speed strips on the road approaching roundabouts. (other squeeks and rattles can be ignored but this one is bad when happens) Seems to be fixed or at least not heard yet.

6) Gearstick reverse detent collar rattles particularly when changing gear so much that passengers have asked if a problem. Fixed.

7) Boot lock although unlocking okay did not pop a few millimeters so that it became 2 handed job one to lift and one to hit button otherwise it remained locked. Fixed

8) Fuel filler cap seal has come off twice. Only time will tell but so far so good

9) Fuel filler cap does not readily lock down requiring pressing mainly around hinge area to engage I have found out. Still the same although not a problem once you know the secret.

10) Have noticed that doors fill with lots of water and do not drain when car sitting. My drive is on a slight slope and after overnight heavy rain when opening doors whithout changing angle about a pint of water drained out from holes lower part, front of door. On both. Can't be good to have that water building up in door. Drains externally and not internaly at least. Not had operchancity to find out :thumbup:

11) Towing eye is not plugged and the present nicely greased hole will not remain that way for long as facing forward into spray and salt etc. No change - Is anybody's plugged are all they all open dirt traps?

12) Gearbox baulks occasionaly going into 1st & 3rd particularly if cold. Gearbox still stilff for 1st when cold but probably better

Seems to be fixed or at least I've not noticed it.

HOWEVER

What isn't exactly filling me with joy now, is car has obviously been sitting outside dealer for the 3 weeks he had it. I have now found I have the same water in boot problem as others. :lol: I have had to bale out about half a jam jars worth from each side right in the corners where crapet lifts easily and there are slotted recesses. I noticed condensation on opening boot round lock plastic and went feeling the carpet etc which was wringing. Help from others who have had this and what the cure has been before I approach dealer please?

ALSO

I suspect interior of car is now damp as I now have hellish condensation problem inside the car when left even short periods. :thumbup: Windows are literally running with water internally whch usually reflects damp interior although so far I cannot find the damp area of carpet or whatever. It is taking me about 5~10 mins of engine running full fan to clear windscreen enough to drive (Not using a cloth to remove excess moisture first)My car will usually be garaged but it never did this before it went to garage and been left out, so has anybody else had the same experience? :thumbup: I assume the above two are not connected as the boot is behind the engine in sealed separate compartment to the passenger cell.

Due to this something else I've noticed is that (in a right hand drive car) the drivers side is not demisting as readily as the passengers. I am being left with a long triangle right in front of the driver down from the top of windscreen demisted on either side. This is when using the windscreen demist button as well as self selecting. Anybody else noticed this? Is it something we will just have to live with?

Edited by Al.

Assuming the dealer didn't leave it outside with a window or door partly open, having water get into the car is unacceptable in a car of this class. That needs to be fixed asap. I'm sure that Lotus would have put the car through a water spray test during its development so I would be surprised if it were a design fault.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

My old S2 Elise passed the water spray test even though on delivery the passenger window didn't meet the roof by at least 2cm :lol:

From past experience if the interior has got damp it'll stay damp for a very long time. I had this on my vxr8 as it hadn't been sealed properly and ended up with water in the rear passenger footwells. Had to remove all the interior carpets to dry them out.