Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine work to be done - Page 8 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine work to be done

Dave Freeman

Nice picture with new header Dave :P

About the petrol tank I think I mension last time when I was your place ! it's not easy to empty the tank!

The seals is same size both right/left the parts list showed only one type. And I done it when I recon the gearbox.

About the engine harness, you should ckeck the cable connecoters are same as your SE ?

Drain the tank

Were you unable to use the pump ?

Looks like you are making good progress. Depending on the date, I hope to be up for the installation process.

Keep at it mate.....

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

Hi chaps, back to the seals, according to the book there is a RHseal and a LHseal, one is 18mm deep and the other 22 I think, when fitting are the seals pushed in tight, there is a ring outermost, looks like a dirt guard of some sort. There seems to be no ubutment for them yo sit against.

On the exhaust it looks good but there may be some fowling of the exhaust against the gearbox, I need to fit the box and maybe grind a little off.

The tank is now painted, it was not as bad as I thought it would be, just general surface rust and a little scabbing. Gear box is painted and I am just starting to clean the engine bay, its a lot of work.

well busy tomorrow night so next stint is Tuesday..............

Dave

Wookie, your efforts would be appreciated, rewarded by Salior Jerries and other booze and food.

• Gold FFM

Dave,

Sounds like good progress was made. If I do know at least a couple of weeks in advance I can make it out. Will hold off surgery for a bit longer, which I do not mind.

Weekend of the 13th March ?

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

March 13th sounds ok to me, sparky would you be available then. anyone else up for a booze weekend and a little engine fitting.

Dave

Opps, the 13th is not possible, the week before March 6th and 7th looks to be good.

WHo can make it, wookie, sparky, dave eds, christopher, internets, anyone else...............................

Dave

Noooo. PF working then :P

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Ah, much better :P

Pump:

Clicky

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I am a maybe for that weekend, will let you know.

But do want to see Mr Rocket's new Porker :P

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

Should be collecting it within the next 10 days :P

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Hi guys and gals, just had a thought. As the engine oil was very thick and full of shite what would you recommend, apart from replacing the coolers, to ensure none of the dirt gets into my new engine. Would the oil filter take out all the dirt, should the oil coolers and pipes be flushed with degreaser an then with cheap clean oil.

Dave

Dave, seeing that you have both ends of the oil pipes open and you have an air compressor... I would first flush out the old oil in the reverse direction of the normal flow. Like flushing out your coolant method. Instead of using water pressure, you can use air pressure, but be careful not to use too much pressure.... You can regulate your air pressure down to about 1bar or less if you like...

Your oil filter should of got any larger bits, if there were going through your pipes...

• Gold FFM

Dave,

I agree...whilst you have the system open and the ability to flush it do so. I assume that you have an evaporator on your compressor in order to keep excessive moisture out of the lines. You can always rig a container of inexpensive motor oil to back flush the system and push it through with the compressor.

Another note, 85% chance of a go at this moment for me to make it there. My travel agent is checking on a flight out of where I will be next week. It would bring me into Stansted Airport. Most likely trying for arrival Friday afternoon. I would then head out sometime on Monday morning if that is not an issue either. Will let you know by Friday of this week.

Christopher

Edited by cjtpb13

I can help the 27/28th If you would like, but If I'll be in the way no problems.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Hi chaps, back to the seals, according to the book there is a RHseal and a LHseal, one is 18mm deep and the other 22 I think, when fitting are the seals pushed in tight, there is a ring outermost, looks like a dirt guard of some sort. There seems to be no ubutment for them yo sit against.

Dave

Dave,

As Sanj mentioned earlier, the seals are the same for both sides. They are not pushed in tight as there is no shoulder in the opening to stop them.

They need to be set to a specific depth and are slightly different from one side to the other due to the right hand side having the castellated nut that adjusts the bearing preload.

There is a tool for the job to insert the seals to the correct depth, which is where the two different dimensions come in. The tool uses an 18mm collar for the right side and a 20mm collar for the left.

You can install the seals without the tool and eyeball or measure the depth but you need a reference to do that. Look at the old seals if you haven't removed them yet or look at someone else's gearbox. It is best to use the tool though if you can find one.

Cheers,

1995 S4s

Cheers my friend, useful stuff, may have to do this by eye, the seals are out and I have now ref point. The slightly bigger problem is that I removed the bearing preload ring on the output drive and may have miss counted the setting when replacing. So the question is how does one set the ring ie preload on the bearings. Help would be gratefully received.

Cheers folks.

Dave,

Just read the updates and could have done March 6th & 7th on my way back to the US but am flying back Saturday lunch time. Let me know if anything changes as I might have to change my schedule to help out.

Best of luck on getting her back together again and enjoying that first drive.

Edited by ifly

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

Dave,

That's not good on the tension nut. Technically, the correct way to get the proper tension on the bearing means splitting the case and removing the primary and secondary shafts. I'm not sure if there are any other options but I'll check.

Maybe one of the UN-1 gurus over there can offer some advice.

Do you have a copy of the Parts Manual and Service Notes?

1995 S4s