Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Elite/Eclat/Excel video & picture thread! - Page 10 - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Elite/Eclat/Excel video & picture thread!

A great snapshot of a time gone by, quite literally. Love that white turbo with the chocolate interior!

I notice the Euro spec Elite of the time had Elan (or that should be Alfa Romeo) rear lights. I wonder why? Was there somthing unsuitable about the Jensen Healey units?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Many thanks for the pics . You have a lovely car.

The overhead panel is a stereo equaliser inspired by Jetranger helicopter overhead panels. I figure Chapman being a pilot thought it complemented the exotic styling. Lotus put them in the first Essex turbos and I guess this one found its way into this car. It was made back in the day by Panasonic and sold as an aftermarket system. Someone told me that in order to make them fit, Lotus had to cut something like an inch or so from the rear end. If you are lucky enough to find one of these stereos these days, they are not cheap.

• Like 1

Maybe but they were marketed for cars.

IMG_3152.JPG

We are going back to a technotronic era when everyone was turned on by fitting flashing LED's with knobs and square buttons and nonsense equalisers as aftermarket enhancements. They did look cool though.....

11 minutes ago, Loose Cannon said:

What does the bit at the back do? (thats cut off for the Esprit). Is that a grille or a diffuser? An interior light maybe.

That is the cockpit dome light. It appears to have two forward facing spots as found on the elite/éclat which shone onto non illuminated Lucas switchgear. I am assuming that this lighting was removed on early esprit Turbos which would make it more than an inch but maybe an Essex owner can shed more light on it (forgive the pun).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-OVERHEAD-COCKPIT-RM610E-PANASONIC-CAR-STEREO-/171955523553?nma=true&si=p4KJ2HJhRpLUnW7NKQEsTkKtGEo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Ended item but some really funky photos giving clearer detail.

Dare I say 'I want one'!!

Really cool way to hold up a sagging headlining!

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

16 hours ago, Loose Cannon said:

I notice the Euro spec Elite of the time had Elan (or that should be Alfa Romeo) rear lights

It was not for the Euro just for Switzerland afaik. There were more like this delivered with these rear lights.

IIRC the Panasonic 'Cockpit' stereo was actually specc'ed by David Thieme of Essex Petroleum. At the time they were almost certainly the 'blingiest' and most flash thing you could have in your car . It most certainly matched his style - he only wanted the best along with SunDym glass and wilton carpets. No wonder the Essex was so expensive when launched. Post Essex production they were something like a £1500 option to have installed - and this is is in 1981!!! - probably about £6k in todays money so that was some sound system. IMO they still look great though - even now....

Edited by nello

In 1981 these bad boys were the worlds first 'laptops'' and were a stonking $1800 quid - about the same price as the Cockpit Stereo - with a whole 64 k of RAM!!

I'd have taken the Panasonic anyday! :P

article-0-1605F6E7000005DC-431_634x842.j

Edited by nello

yesss i have one inside my esprit!

its the first turbo esprit ever made after the essex run, thats why it has a RM610

2mfg2es.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Love it...... 

I am always amazed as to how the elites are still so relatively undervalued today despite how much publicity they got back in the day considering the small numbers made. 

On 19-10-2016 at 10:12, Testdriver said:

nice one! Does it work?

yess mine roof radio works perfect! also eqaulizer!

23 hours ago, phoenix said:

Love it...... 

I am always amazed as to how the elites are still so relatively undervalued today despite how much publicity they got back in the day considering the small numbers made. 

From memory the Elite seemed to fall out of favour very quickly. It wasn't as bad as something like the Renault Fuego, which was trendy for about half an hour then a joke for 20 years, but not far off.

When a neighbour bought a new Elite in 1982 it was considered distinctly old hat; a beardy enthusiasts choice only, when the punters who just looked at performance figures and prices would have plumped for a cheaper 3 litre Capri or a 635.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• 1 month later...