Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Second clutch in 500 miles... - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Second clutch in 500 miles...

Tom,

Do you belong to a local club? (like LEO?) http://www.lotusenthusiasts.org/Home.asp

While I have found it's possible that a place can get rave reviews from a few people and be damned by others, it's rare and worth a call to club locals to get their drift and get their recommendations on a good shop. Being from the other side of the state I can't help there and also I only do my own work (the car is just a hobby that I can afford to wait to do it right on my own time for less $$ to be affordable with additional info gained from the collective Lotus crowd.)

You should not be a victim to be regularly tapped by a cash vampire.

Good luck

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, update number two:

Put the shop in touch with Dave Bean Engineering, who sold us the mounts in the first place.

As it turns out, there is a set of large washers that are to be installed with the mounts, which were not installed. My shop said that the car didn't have them when I brought it in the first time, and they're not overly familiar with the setup so they didn't know to order them the first time around. This caused the new mounts to break, apparently. So thats that.

Anyway, they've worked out what needs to be done and are going to be ordering new ones and installing them free of charge for me.

As for what this had to do with the clutch burning out, I have no idea. I'm just as well to let them think that the bad mounts effed up my clutch, if it means that they're de facto responsible for the failure completely. Which they are either way, but still.

Soo yeah. Thats the story at this point. I literally have no idea what to do to make this easier... I am a part of the local Lotus owners club, and they have recommended a mechanic to me, but he's pretty far away and has a loooooonnggg waiting list for even a diagnostic. Like, several months. I do intend to have him give the car a once over though as soon as I can get on his calendar though. Most of the club people are in New Jersey or Westchester, and its almost impossible for me to set aside enough time to get out there just to deal with my car. Sooo I bring it to this shop, which is across the street from my office... and like 50% of the time everything is fine. But the other 50% turns into some vast ordeal. Like, they rebuilt my carbs and did my timing and it all runs wonderfully. And at least they gave me a nice new Porsche to drive while its being worked on (blasphemy!).

But its really a tough situation now... I've spent an ungodly amount of money chasing the dragon with this car... more than enough to buy a very nice Esprit V8 or a near-perfect S4. I mean thats kind of irrelevant as I bought the G-style because I wanted it, not because I thought it was the cheaper option, I'm just thinking that maybe I'd actually get to drive the thing occasionally had I bought a newer one. I dunno.

wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

It wouldn't have mattered what model you bought.

Your down time with the car has been directly related to the incompetence of the garage.

I'd you'd have bought a V8 and had issues I wonder if you'd have ever have afforded to fix it?

You have such a lovely example, I so hope you can enjoy her at some time. Oh and please make sure your heat shields are intact. The early ones have a habit of breaking up, the later ones are a sandwich stainless steel but cost a fortune....!!!

Oh, and please replace that pipe to the turbo. Yes it's a bit more money but a new turbo is a lot more!

One more thing.

You have spent tens of thousands of dolars with them. Please insist, or politely suggest they obtain a set of workshop manuals for you car. They seem to not have even the most simple of understandings of it's workings, as basic as it is. I think a manual set on their shelves and an agreement that they seek advice before carrying out any worksshould be the very least you should expect before spending any more money with them.

Oh, and don't forget Sparky. He was serious!

Chunky Lover

Yes, I did buy a new intake pipe which was delivered to them last week... and their parts department promptly lost it. Soooo they're buying me another one of those as well.

And I know they have the workshop manual too... because I gave it to them!

But yeah, they've actually been in contact with JAE and Dave Bean with a lot of the work in general, particularly the turbo replacement. I'm just baffled by all this. Literally everyone I know is telling me to just sell the friggin thing at this point and put myself out of my misery.

Sparky said he'd be in touch with me next time he can make it to NYC, so I'm definitely going to take him up on that offer as soon as possible.

Tom,

You deserve the Hard Luck of the Year award. I can't believe how patient you've been with these guys. I sincerely hope they can get you on the road this time so you can enjoy the car... :lol:

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

If Sparky's got time he'll fly over, he loves NY.

As a full member, download the parts manuals from here and stick it on a USB key for your garage. Buy a workshop manual and leave it in the boot (although if they accept the work on the car they should have their own). Also, if they get stuck, tell them to visit http://www.thelotusforums.com and ask, we'll help anyone and it would have saved you thousands on their incompetence. Inexperience is not an excuse and you shouldn't be paying them to learn by their mistakes, end of story.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• 1 month later...

Hey Tom

I noticed your Esprit ( or one just the same ) is for sale on Ebay this week. I'm sorry you have decided to let it go, after all the time and money you have spent getting it right. It's a shame you are selling, but somebody is going to get a good car for sure. I hope it all works out OK for you.

Too many Toys are never enough !

Gutted for you Tom that it has come to this.

You have been right royaly screwed over by this garage, none of the work was particularly difficult and should never have cost so much to put right, they saw you coming and used you like an extra bank account to fill their greed.

I hope you get a good price for her but as you say you will be making a major loss for sure.

It's been a sad story to follow.

Chunky Lover

• 1 month later...

It looks like Tom sold it for $15K, it's a shame to spend all that money having it fixed up and then selling for a loss. I hope the new owner has better luck with it, could be a great car.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/really-nice-85-esprit-nys-craigslist-89185/

Too many Toys are never enough !

Someone got a real bargain, then. Very sad tale for Tom. He must have lost a fortune. Let's hope the new buyer does better and can do their own own work on the car.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Tom joined the forum exactly a year ago so he's had 12 months of very unhappy ownership, little surprise he's decided to end the pain .

From his eBay advert it looks like the dealer he used was called Manhattam Motors, it would be really interesting if one of their guys was on this forum and could give us their view on the saga and why it all went so Pete Tong

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

• Gold FFM

Such a sad tale. Think I'll float by and take a look at these jokers next time I'm there.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• 8 years later...

Hi, 

I have a problem with my clutch last year I got a new car SEAT ARONA , at 1700 miles my clutch and fly wheel had completely burnt out which I had pay £1122 was gutted . That was fitted in the May 4 days later I was working and my clutch went again it went back into dealership and they said they hadn't fitted clip on it . Took car back then I could smell the same smell so they said bring it in we go on a test drive see what your driving is like cheek of it...I have had used cars before never had a clutch problem..the mechanic said I drive fine the smell is prob clutch wearing in.. I stopped driving the car in July for personal reasons and then may 2nd this year have resumed to driving and this week the smell is there again only stronger took it back in yest and they saying it's my clutch it needs replacing the car is on 5109 miles and needs 2nd clutch and they making me pay how do I go about this I'm so gutted  sian liverpool