Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Laser Eye Surgery - Page 3 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Laser Eye Surgery

Bibs

Hmmm. My consultation was pretty good but another £1400 off is appealing! That said, I'm happy with the price I'm paying for what hopefully with change my quality of life enormously. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Yes, I did get a very good deal, but I was very angry for a while, and it took them six months to get back to me with the new offer. It's well worth it, certainly at the price you're paying.

Some thoughts on my experience:

The bit nobody ever seems to warn people about: in order to cut the "flaps" on the front of your eyes, they have to firmly push some kind of ring over your eye. When I say firmly, I mean hard enough for you to lose your sight entirely for a couple of seconds! A little scary at the time, and it left my face feeling a bit bruised for a few weeks.

Watching the surgeon peeling back the flaps is pretty freaky.

It's all over really quickly, and you walk out of the surgery room able to see, albeit rather blurry. And feeling a little shaken.

They tell you to bring sunglasses for the journey home, but even with mine, I couldn't open my eyes for more than a second outdoors. It was a very sunny day. My wife drove me home, and I had my hands covering the front of my face and it still seemed too bright.

That evening, I could see ok, and I was back at work two days later.

For the first month, I suffered quite a lot from minor headaches, and I was having to go to bed very early as my eyes always felt tired.

Alcohol seriously dries your eyes out. I'd suggest abstaining for at least a few weeks.

In the second month, my eyes were almost entirely normal apart from needing drops a few times a day.

After 3 months, my eyes are fantastic. I still use the drops maybe once or twice a week if they feel a bit dry. Usually only the morning after a few drinks.

Edited by Brendonian

Thanks for that.

Although I'm pretty happy with the price I've also booked now to see Optimax and will see what they have to offer. I read on moneysavingexpert they're not adverse to a dutch auction! 

• Gold FFM

Alcohol seriously dries your eyes out. I'd suggest abstaining for at least a few weeks.

Steady Bibs - don't let that thought of cancelling enter your head now! ;)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I'm only suitable for the ultralase wavefront iDesign (aka the most expensive option) by all accounts. Is that what you had done?

I had wavefront, you are fair less likely to get halos at night with wavefront and you should get a slightly better result. I paid extra for it but to be honest I think they should do it routinely.

• Gold FFM

I use reading glasses all the time now. I don't use glasses for driving, but having said that, the speedo digits on the Esprit are blurry to me.

In low light with my glasses on, I can still struggle to read the back of some dvd case blurbs. Get into better light so the contrast increases and it gets better.

I also struggle with my camera. Not easy looking through the viewfinder with glasses on, but without them I can't read the settings on the LCD screen on the back of the camera.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Wavefront laser PRK (on the outside of the cornea, no flap) is what I had.  No problems with night driving, the scarring from the infection on the right has gone, and I don't get any effects from that with my night vision any more.  I would say my night vision is excellent.

I don't ever squint anymore, no eyestrain playing video games or using the pc all day.  No headaches.  No dry eyes, though sometimes when I wake up they are stuck together, but that is probably more from sleeping with a fan on... 

The Doctors that I went with continue to look after you for years after the surgery, and I think that is an important factor in deciding who to go with!  In the beginning there were many follow up appointments to make sure everything was going well (no charge) and now even years later I go in for 6 month checkups (no charge).  The doctor who I see is a car guy and I also often see him at car events.  Trying to talk him into buying an Evora ;) 

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I had both, I have new lenses in my eyes, recovery period 4-6 weeks, I went from boarder line driving eye test with glasses, to passing it with no glasses at all.

I've since had laser surgery same as Travis to my right eye, recovery period less than a day, improved the balance between my eyes.

Highly recommended, nothing to be scared of, wish we'd had all this when I was young. Still need glasses but I'm a million miles ahead of where I was.

Just do it.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Wavefront laser PRK (on the outside of the cornea, no flap) is what I had.  No problems with night driving, the scarring from the infection on the right has gone, and I don't get any effects from that with my night vision any more.  I would say my night vision is excellent.

I don't ever squint anymore, no eyestrain playing video games or using the pc all day.  No headaches.  No dry eyes, though sometimes when I wake up they are stuck together, but that is probably more from sleeping with a fan on... 

The Doctors that I went with continue to look after you for years after the surgery, and I think that is an important factor in deciding who to go with!  In the beginning there were many follow up appointments to make sure everything was going well (no charge) and now even years later I go in for 6 month checkups (no charge).  The doctor who I see is a car guy and I also often see him at car events.  Trying to talk him into buying an Evora ;)

Good point Optical Express provide free aftercare and testing for life.

• 3 weeks later...

4 days to go! 

I did look into LASEK as an alternative however the Mytomicin C that they use as an anti-haze agent and ethanol drops put me right off, along with the longer amount of time it takes for your vision to be corrected. You have to sign an 'informed consent' document saying that you're happy for them to use these chemicals even though they're not tested or approved for use in eyes! 

• Gold FFM

Ah so it's possibly true, there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope it all goes well bibs.

Edited by johnpwalsh