Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What did you spend last year to keep your Esprit running? - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

What did you spend last year to keep your Esprit running?

JeepinMatt

So what'd it cost you to run your Esprit last year? I've read through a good deal of threads on maintenance costs, but they tend to fall into two categories - wickedly expensive, usually by someone who takes it to a shop, and surprisingly reasonable, usually a DIY mechanic. I know there are so many variables, such as blown engines, but I'd like to get a handle on what people on TLF are paying to keep their cars running. I'm in the minority here, being from the US, so I've got to do a little mental math to convert those other currencies and to keep in mind that all things automotive tend to cost a great deal more in the UK.

The more specific, the better. What I'd really like to know along with the cost would be whether maintenance was performed by a shop or by yourself. Model type, mileage and any big/unusual repairs would be helpful too.

Edited by JeepinMatt

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Less than $500 last year and $300 of that was for a new carpet set for the interior. No repairs, just fluid changes and filters. Do my own work and drove about 4K miles last year. 49K miles on the odometer. 1995 S4s

Sold that car in November after 6 1/2 years of ownership and bought another S4s in December.

In the time I owned the first S4s, I probably spent 6-7K in parts (most of that in the first 3 years)counting 2 sets of tires at about $1000/set. Also spent at least that much again in modifications and upgrades.

1995 S4s

1984 S3 Turbo 104000 miles +3500 miles last year. Maintenance Cost £0 apart from oil. (honestly!). On the other hand, I probably still spent 50 hours probing, adjusting, cleaning & investigating stuff.

I think I was in for about $1K last year. Had new timing belts and tensioners done, but only paid for the tensioners as the belts and labor were covered under warranty. Also replaced an alternator, general "A" service, as well as various other bits such as broken sidelamp switch and deteriorated window felt. All work done by me except the timing belts. This year so far looks to be somewhat higher as we're not even 5 months into the year and I'm already around $1K and still have to do an "A" and looks like new shocks will be in order soon. Still, I don't think I'm doing too bad as I've heard nightmares involving astronomical V8 running costs.

1st year was about $3000, almost all parts as I do my own work. The previous owner had neglected some of the 'must do' maintenance so I was playing catch up and I did a carb conversion from strombergs to dellortos, which is not cheap. With failures aside, it should be cheap to run for the next few years when the cam belt comes up for renewal.

£50 on oil and filter,

£150 Hispec calipers, discs and pads.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Gold FFM

Drove almost 20,000 miles last year. Like Bibs I went through three sets of rear tyres and one set of front tyres. Routine maintenance, I do majority of my own work, spent approximately $1,500 USD before the tyres. Tyres, including RoadForce balancing, approximately $2,500 USD.

Geez, what caused 4500 pounds in repairs?

Maintenance doesn't seem nearly as bad as I've been led to believe.

I had an accident, no big deal but a main dealer repair meant it was done properly and correctly. Most of the money I spent was upgrades other than that, in maintenance I'm guessing less than £2k for 15,000+ miles in a year and that includes the exceptional job of a clutch and unusually a vacuum pump.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

I agree - pretty exceptional jobs. :unsure:

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

OK I spent $5505 last year that's about 3,339 quid, but in fairness that did include a strip and re-spray, re-build of suspension and new front shocks, so actually I think that's quite cheap. It was all budgeted for when I bought the car, though the re-spray went a bit over. All more than funded by my quit smoking savings account.:thumbsup:

Oh and the insurance company increased the valuation by $10,00 with even looking at the car or asking for a valuation.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

a $10 insurance valuation increase for a $5505 spend, I'd be asking for them to up that a bit mate... $10 stingy gits!

I spent about £5k, but that was a full resto job including replacement engine, full retrim, all new suspension and bushes and every other bit I needed to replace.

I'm sure my next few years will be in the low £100's to keep her going well.. :thumbsup: At least I hope thats the case anyway!

Chunky Lover

According to my log books.

2008 Au$120

2009 Au$90

2010 Au$450

Car still gets driven each week, just to make sure I get my monies worth.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

spent 200gbp at Xmas to get her running again - (blown oil cooler) then managed to drive her a whopping 2ft back and forward before putting her to bed again for the year - Dam snow!!

it is the furthest its moved in 16 months all due to a 4 hour repair job!!

Anybody want to work out the price per mile?

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

• 3 weeks later...

about £50 i think, cant even remember spending that but i know i did.

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

ahhh that was it, filter was about £0.50p (god there cheap), oil and i had something else

(wasnt plugs as there was no point they were mint, some thing small anyway lol)

Edited by karluk29

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

I think that everyone would agree that I probably have the dubious honor of winning this little contest. According to my best guess off the top of my head, I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $30,000 in parts and labor. I'd have to check my records though, just to be sure.

But that just means I can add $30k to the price if when I want to sell it, right guys? whistle.gif

Hahahahaaa... just kill me now.

Edited by thom_77

• 2 weeks later...