Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Volcanic Ash Cloud - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Volcanic Ash Cloud

Boots

I got home yesterday morning after a very long trip back from Korea via Hanover. I got to Hanover on Thursday morning about the same time as the UK airspace was closed. I phoned a meteorologist friend who confirmed the wind direction was not changing any time soon, hence unlikely to be flying for a few days at least. Took a quick decision to rent a car. Lucky, the airport car rental companies where already having a run on cars!

One way car hire from Germany to an undecided destination in France is not cheap, nearly 600 Euro infact!

After completing a meeting in Hildesheim very quickly (the reason why I stopped in Germany), I took a couple of hours to research options and decided on Caen as the perfect escape route (they still had space for foot passengers!). Booked tickets for the ferry, got 2 hours sleep and then departed for Caen at 3am on Friday. 10 and 1000Km hours later arrived in Caen without hickup. Left the hire car with a local hotel (thanks Europe rentacar for being so flexible!) Picked up boarding passes from the port and spent 2 hours nursing a couple of bottles of red wine in a near by bar. While waiting in the bar I phone my local Taxi company from Milton Keynes and asked for a pickup from Portsmouth.

Boat departed 4:30pm. Resembled a Dunkirk movie with refugees from all over Europe littering all decks. Couldn't sleep on the ferry (brain was on overdrive and didnt want to switch off) Arrived in Portsmouth (with a bad head)at about 10:00. Not a regular route for them, but they agreed. Getting off the boat and through immigration took 2 hours. The port was completly over run. The bussiest night in their history apparently.

Found the taxi at about mid night and was back home in Milton Keynes just before 2am.

Journey started in Busan, south-east Korea some time on Tuesday. arrived home early Saturday morning. Thats enough travelling for me for a while! Looking back on it, I can only think how luck I was to get everything booked and make all the connections. There are thousand of folks who didnt get so lucky and who are still there. The unscheduled part of the trip cost about 1000 Euro all in, thank god it was on a company credit card.

Malc

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Too much of a coincidence for it to be anything else, so looks like Norfolk got a covering.

If, 5 minutes after you got out of the shower you found a wet towel close to where you'd dried yourself, would you check to see if it's really water making it wet? :w00t:

Look up Occam's Razor. Sometimes the really obvious is the truth! :sorcerer: again!

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

:D Well my holiday is not happening now, pissed off! :angry:

which maldive were you heading for?

we were there May last year and it rained at lot...

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Well will check closer to the date but I don't think I will be having my holiday soon.

Checked with my holiday company and will receive a full refund but was looking forward to a break. Never mind will book another one and go later.

Have realised that during my short time on this earth things could be worse.

Well will check closer to the date but I don't think I will be having my holiday soon.

Checked with my holiday company and will receive a full refund but was looking forward to a break. Never mind will book another one and go later.

Have realised that during my short time on this earth things could be worse.

Out of interest, who did you book with and are you claiming from them or an insurance?

:D

I booked with directline holidays, they are (ABTA and ATOL proctected so my money is safe) and checked their web page. It says that if they cancel the holiday I am entitled to a full refund from them.

I am sure that if they cancel my original holiday and flights return to normal I can book another holiday with them.

Thank God April was a zero travel month for me. May is a different story we'll see if the UK/Germany trip is still on the cards, LA looks alright.

I have friends stuck in Florida, India, Poland and Hong Kong trying to get back to the UK. US friends stuck in Italy, Germany, France and UK. The wife is having no trouble flying from Bangkok to Tokyo to Honolulu to Denver though.

Best of luck and safe travels to all of those who are someplace needing to get somewhere.

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

its a long way to go for just a week, especially if you have bad flight times which mean you have to wait in male for the seaplane or leave your island early to spend a night in male etc..the seaplanes can only fly in daylight hours

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

You're right it is a bit far for a week but my wife works for Thomas Cook and soon they won't be going there anymore. If we don't go now we would have to pay full price and it's a bit too steep for us atm.

I've actually packed tonight, despite writing the thing off last night.

Although i have also arranged work for the time i should be away.

:angry:

The wednesday morning Heathrow to New York does not look 'quite' as impossible as it was...

• Gold FFM

All the Europes we'd hoped for have just been cancelled again. Currently no plans to operate shorthaul today, but some longhaul may get away this evening.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Paul

Which airline are to flying with?

Feel free to check, I can't access their scedule page from the blackberry.

CA29 depart 10.25 heathrow tomorrow

Tbh I'd prefer a cancellation now. Last night at 7 we were going, by the time we packed we were not! We have even allowed for funds if we get stranded there for days. I have a guy in NJ ready to email our gig tickets too so they won't get wasted. I'm cool with whatever really, just hope (as I think might happen) that I don't have to actually go to heathrow to be 100% sure my plane is cancelled and I can claim.

Then it would be a day in the pub, so I still win!

]

Tbh I'd prefer a cancellation now.

Cancelled.

:angry:

As you can tell, I'm a bit relieved, it seemed daft maths to want to get there and not lose £1500 only to spend that again being stuck there unable to get home.

Vicki is making 100% sure they don't change their minds, then we can rebook MUCH later in the year so we don't have to travel in this.

:)

All UK airports OPEN from 10pm today

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Well, it had to happen - scapegoat search has started.

Coming down on the Met office at the moment. Surely its the national air traffic control agency's decision? The met office just'report' and 'predict'. Its going to be another Michael-Fish-er if they are not careful.

Oh, also seems that aircraft CAN now tolerate low levels of ash. Hmm, I seem to recall reading that engine and airframe manufacturers state a zero ash tolerance.

Its all starting to stink abit. And its not just rotten eggs.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

You making sure we read your question?

:)

Nah, the forum was being weird, got four post failures that actually posted, then it refused to let me delete them. Been getting tons of problems using it mobile recently.