Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oil stat? - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Oil stat?

Rich H

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the same unit, though Mocal makes different thread types of that same oil-stat.

You want the 5/8 BSPP and 3/4"filter (Ford).

Oh and that price is more than double what I paid...

I got mine from http://www.batinc.net/main.htm

Ask for the MOCTB3

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Quick report back: I'm impressed, the oil temp is now coming up much faster, about 10 miles / 15 mins to get up to around nominal where as before it was taking 3 or 4 times longer.

Need a long run to confirm it's working fully but I see no reason for it not to.

Rich

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

• 2 months later...

Update 2:

Its definately working, oil gets hotter quicker but then stays nice and stable.

However:

The lotus oil filter is twice the diameter of the Ford one this sandwitch plte is designed for, my filter fouls the corner of one of the couplings so can't be done up as tight as I need to!

As a result I have a slight oil weep from the filter so I'll file the corner off the fitting when I get the chance.

Also don't follow the instructions for fitting the sandwich plate, it says do the centre nut up 180* after the seal contacts, I did that and it leaked - Do it up tighter!

I just did it up to 'snug' and it stopped leaking there.

Rich

• 2 months later...

Yesterday I fitted an oil stat from PUK Esprit and after fiddling for a while and getting almost a nervous breakdown (mixed up the pipings, but sorted it out finally - to my relief it doesn't seem to matter which way the oil runs through coolers) I filled the engine with oil, and guess what happened: It spilled everything out on the floor :censored: .

It was partly my fault, partly the items. When delivered, take serious care of the fixing bolts/nuts on the stat. They have to be parallel (and tight!) in order to let the filter tighten the hole assembly correctly. Otherwise the nuts prevent the filter from pressing the stat tightly enough to the engine and upon oil pressure, you have a serious leak.

I instantly stopped the engine and cleaned up the mess. Will see if I'm more successful today. It's a bit scary... :cry:

Edited by ramjet

Yep, as I posted above, the couplings can foul the filter, I wouldn't recommend grollying them until they are flat though!

Just file off the offending bit, it won't stop you undoing them in the future.

Was there no seperate hollow nut to hold the stat on? Only the oil filter thread?

Means both seals will be reliant on the filter alone. Granted mine still leaked but only because it wasn't tight enough!!

My MOCAL MOCTB3 has smaller 5/8" BSP fitting which do not interfere

IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

The MOCAL also has a center post with a nut so it is positively locked against the oil pump when the oil filter is removed.

IMG_2699.jpg

Also I use the Mobil 1-204 filter, the is no problem with it fitting.

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

They must have changed the spec of the couplings, mine were something like 28mm AF

Yep, as I posted above, the couplings can foul the filter, I wouldn't recommend grollying them until they are flat though!

Just file off the offending bit, it won't stop you undoing them in the future.

Was there no seperate hollow nut to hold the stat on? Only the oil filter thread?

Means both seals will be reliant on the filter alone. Granted mine still leaked but only because it wasn't tight enough!!

That was exactly what I did. Besides, no, there wasn't a hollow nut to hold the filter, the filter itself fixates the whole assembly. So it is of utmost importance that it's tight.

Edited by casewolf

• 6 months later...

Can this sandwich plate be installed with engine on the vehicle? I have pulled out the plenum cover and air cleaner box and I can see filter and the OEM plate from the top.

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

Do you remember the wrench size necessary to slacken them off. I think, I'll need a crow foot wrench to take this contraption apart. Also, the MOCAL plate is shorter. That seems like a major inconvenience.

Me thinking: two sections of a hard tube w/fittings to connect rubber lines "away" from the filter, would be a good idea.

?

MrDangerUS

Mocal plate is a little shorter which means the filter body can foul the couplings as discussed above but it's not a massive problem once you file any offending edges off, it only 'just' fouls.

I think the couplings are something in the order of 28mm and 30mm I had a 30mm spanner but no 28mm so had to use a massive adjustable instead.

To avoid the filter interference

I have extended inlet/outlet fittings 2" away from the plate. I plumbed two short pieces of 1/2" ID brass pipe (3/4"x16 thread), w/Fem-to-Fem couplings and screwed the original connectors at the end.

You have mentioned that MOCAL plate flows in oposite direction? Should I switch hoses around?

Here is the picture http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/garage/vehicle/744-lotus-esprit-turbo/page__tab__mods__mod_id__1585

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS