Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Type of Oil Recommended - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Type of Oil Recommended

Tallic

Lets be honest people who sell millers or deep purple or any other brand normally do so on mark up ( how much they can make per can) millers typical mark up is 60%. Just use good quality well known brands of the correct grade and to be honest you will be better off. As for lotus doing exhaustive tests they are more driven by cost than anyone else, they would not bother stripping a gearbox or engine down assesing it rebuilding it running it and doing another complete stripdown don't be fooled by what others say. It's mark up thats all

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things have definately moved on since the engine was made and we try to spec oils based on how things have advanced. There are too many people on the internet that claim to know a lot about oil, most of the information is out of date/just plain wrong and it's pretty difficult to pick out the correct stuff. Our information has to be good, otherwise if we recommend an oil that causes problems, we can be liable for costs.

Esprit3, you sure that we spec based on mark up? Well, you're wrong. The largest mark up percentage is on pretty basic semi-synthetics rather than top end oils, especially as we reduce prices to get similar top end oils priced the same. By the time you add the forum discount we give, there definately isn't 60% mark up.We could sell more of the cheaper oils that don't last as long, so get replaced more often and we'd probably make more profit wise.

We can vouch for the quality of the oils we sell based on oil tests we've had done, as well as reports back from customers and our sponsored drivers. Some of the sponsored drivers get their engines rebuilt every season and when we hear that the engine builder thought they'd only done a couple of races rather than the whole season, that's a pretty good indication of how good an oil is.

Cheers

Tim

oilmans website: www.opieoils.co.uk | Tel: 01209 215164 (option 2) | e-mail: sales@opieoils.co.uk

Yes, it definately feels like it with certain people/companies/forums, but it's up to them if they want to take advantage of what we know, rather than what some guy said down the pub.

I'd definately use either a running in oil or a basic mineral oil for the first 500/1000 miles, depending on how thorough you want to be. If you are going to use a good synthetic oil after that, you want to make sure it's run in as much as it can be. Millers CRO is a good option for running in.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60229-millers-oils-cro-10w-40-competition-running-in-oil.aspx

Using a synthetic in an engine that needs running in is a bad idea for a few reasons

1. They are too good and there won't be enough wear.

2. The bores can glaze

3. Too expensive to change often through the running in period.

Cheers

Tim

Edited by oilman

oilmans website: www.opieoils.co.uk | Tel: 01209 215164 (option 2) | e-mail: sales@opieoils.co.uk

I´m a big fan of the old Silkolene Pro S range - now Fuchs Titan Race Pro S :thumbsup:

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

That is definately one of the best oils, others that are on a par are the Redline, Millers CFS, Motul 300V and Gulf Competition. Those are the top end ester oils and there really isn't anything better around. Others such as the Castrol Edge, Mobil 1, Amsoil are a step below them in basestock quality terms, but they are still very good oils.

Here's a short article off our site about the basestock types

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/tech-articles/Basestock-categories-and-Descriptions.pdf

Mike, if it's any interest to you, there is an offer that started on the Pro S today.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/t-Current-Offer.aspx

Cheers

Tim

...but Tim, the base stock isn't the whole story, right? I site your poo-poo-ing of RP as an example.

I'm interested the best oil for my application... does that make sense?

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

Absolutely right, the basestock isn't the whole story, there is the additive package as well. We've had a lot of oils tested and the ones we stock have not revealed anything off putting like high sulphur levels, low detergency etc. We get offered so many oils to sell that we can pick out the ones that give the good results, along with not being overly expensive. In many of the tests we've had done, part of the analysis will say things like 'very similar to Fuchs Pro S/Motul 300V etc'. That's a useful thing as chemically at least it will be very similar to the top products. We had a new one tested about 6 months ago and the results said it was good and on a par with the Pro S, but it was about £70 for 5L, so we couldn't justify selling it, we'd have no reason to recommend it over the well proven top end oils that are around £50.

I would use one of the ester based 10w-60s as a top end choice for your car. Millers, Gulf and Castrol Edge (the one for M-Series, not the Edge Sport) are the best ones and with the offer on Gulf, that would be my pick of them.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-662-10w-60.aspx

The Mobil and Castrol Edge Sport are both good synthetics, but they aren't ester based like the others.

Cheers

Tim

Edited by oilman

I'm leaning toward Redline The others you mentioned are hard, if not impossible, to get in the US. How much better are Fuchs and Motul than RL?

Is one oil better suited to my very hot turbo-four application, regardless of base stock, etc?

Ooops, I missed that you are in the US. I guess getting the Redline 10w-60 is easy enough for you? That would be my choice for your car, the only reason I didn't mention the Redline 10w-60 is because we don't stock it. Redline is as good a choice as anything on the market.

You know I love you Bibs, but I think that might be cost-preventative, Especially if stuff that's available here is just as good. Thanks though.

Tim,

I've heard other Redline users say that Redline recommends their 10w-40 (as opposed to their heavier 50 or 60 weights) for our 4 cylinders that Lotus recommends Mobil 1 15w-50 for. What's your opinion on that?

1995 S4s

Thanks for bringing that up Jim.

I'm all about a lighter weight oil, but the last time I ran a 40 I was getting the oil pressure light at idle (once warm).

I spoke to Red Line a few years back and they said either 15/50 or 10/40 with a leaning toward 10/40 for the V8.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

That's a little odd, our databases all say 10w-60 and when we've recommended that to people in the past, it's been fine. If you're getting the oil pressure using a 10w-40 or 15w-50, go with those.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the order and I'm glad I've helped out.

If anyone is considering buying oil and is unsure of anything, feel free to ask or check our technical articles.

Cheers

Tim

People get excited about lesser things, Big Brother and Eastenders for example. Thanks for letting me know it arrived safely, they are a new courier for us, so we're keeping an eye on them.

Cheers

Tim

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

Do you need to consider oil weight based on local ambient temperature? Lotus say 10W/60 Castrol Edge Sport, but I presume that is tested in the UK. Does the fact that our ambient temp where I live in summer is about 32deg C make any difference to the recommendation.

I run Redline 15W/50 based on recommendation from Steve Taylor of The Elan Factory in Melbourne. Just rang the only supplier close to me and they don't stock it anymore due to lack of turnover. Was expensive.

Oops. Got carried away in the thread content and realise I have just asked a question for my 4 cyl S4 in a V8 thread. I suppose the ambient temperature question is relevant though.

Edited by ramjet

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Due to the cooling systems in cars being pretty good, the oil temp isn't usually that affected by higher ambient temps too much. Perhaps if it was a track car in Dubai or somewhere really hot, then I would suggest going to the next grade thicker, but with your air temps a 10w-50, 15w-50 or 10w-60 would be fine.

Cheers

Tim

• 9 months later...

In my Owners Handbook it recommends for above 0o the following for the 1989 Turbo;

• Valvoline 20W/50
  • Elf 20W/50
  • Mobil1 Rally Formulae 15W/50

Why the differences with what people are using now ?

the consensus appearing to be with a 10W/60

Colin