Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
412 BHP...THAT WILL DO NICELY...... - Page 9 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

412 BHP...THAT WILL DO NICELY......

CHANGES

Update,

sorry the threads gone quiet but i have been very busy on the S300 project...

The lads at N'hampton motorsport have been doing the few mods i requested, but as it is a unknown entity, development by trial and error to find out what works best is the only way. This takes time but progress is being achieved.

I can confirm that the Crank sensor issue has been sorted by using another design type. This is working with the small trigger wheel on the rear of the front pulley, so far the starting issues seem to have gone away , some more extreme development tests in time will show full compatibility.

The coil on plug system is being integrated at this very moment , There has been time taken to get the best coils for the job , from both the running and fitting side of things. Omex had advised the best and most compatible units for use with there system, these having already been proved in other applications without issue.

A mounting frame is being designed and manufactured to attach the chosen coils in a way that allows accessibility for servicing needs.

A complete new section of wiring loom will be made to link the coils into the ECU. We intend to fire the plugs sequentially with a .030 gap , producing a strong fat spark which should stay on the plug even at higher boost levels than we already have.

Once this is all done it will be on to the dyno again to map in and get data back on how it all integrates with what we already have...

This should all happen in the next few weeks..... I will keep you informed when i have more info....

Dave.

Edited by CHANGES

• 1 month later...

Thanks for asking.....

We are getting closer , the S300 restoration project that has taken all my time is now in the final stages as you may well have seen from the thread in restoration section,

I will be at Northampton Motorsport this Wednesday with the S300 getting the GEO set up done, This will give me a chance to see mine and discus what else needs to be finalized at the same time.

I am hopping to coincide the completion of the S300 with the readiness of mine.

When I get it back there are a couple of small jobs for me to have it road ready. Then i will plan the new ''Changes'' to be done.

Edited by CHANGES

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm back,

Today as you may of seen from Darren's thread we were in N'hampton to do a run up on the dyno with the new

Coil on plug set up on the 910 engine.

This as I may have mentioned before was not to gain power but refine the tuning. The issue was the spark gap

had to be reset to 0.020 too enable it to jump under the compression produced over 1.4 bar boost. With this gap we

were able to maintain the spark at 1.52 bar producing 422 bhp but only just. This was very much on the outer

limits of reliability for the spark.

When the COP system was first fired up with the new hall sensor on the trigger wheel, it instantly started as it

should. Prior to this the engine needed cranking far to long before starting , especially when cold.

That resolved that problem straight away.....We are now running the plug gap at 0.030 with a different plug spec,

At tick over it is far smoother while cold with more purr and less pop... :)

We did a couple of load runs to get everything hot or should I say glowing , this will have put everything under

heat stress especially the coils which are mounted on a plate which will get hot from the exhaust due to location

which can not be changed...

The first few runs gave a misfire at 5250 rpm , :angry: this was later neutralised by adjusting the dwell angle which data

showed it had dropped off at that point causing the fault. :rtfm: Once we had smoothed out the cycle and proved the coils

we turned up the boost back to1.52 bar and did the power runs...RESULT... Nice smooth 244 bhp, 371.8 trq, 396 whlpwr. with

nice fat 0.030 gap spark.

Troy will now do a few more runs to refine any small points in the data mainly in the mid range to complete the mapping....

The engine has now done 2500+ (hard) miles , seventy runs on the dyno with consistent data and repeatable

performance. The performance figures I have are now constant with all the ancillaries running within specification.

I now feel this is as far as I want to take this engine , It seems to be happy at this and has settled in nicely. :yes:

I forgot to take any pic's. Darren/Nigel may have some they can post , but failing that I will be bringing it home

on Wednesday after watching Darren's S4 on the same dyno getting the Troy Touch... :scooter:

I will take some of the COP set up and post with Dyno data.... then...

I wish i had some pic's of Chris, Darren, Nigel's faces, They had never seen a power dyno run in person before i think

it came as a bit of an eye opener... :shock:

more later...

Dave

yeah it was the how the Turbo and manifold glowed red so quickley,awesome stuff mate good to see how its all done and as for the guys at motorsport answering every question Chris asked without any hesitation,"wow" its got to be said that's some feat by anyones standards. :thumbsup::shuriken:

Oh it was grand! Yes im no longer a dyno virgin! Although there is one thing troubling me dave...you seem to have lost 178bhp since the last run? I mean..244bhp is a backwards step...try looking in the glove box for the missing horses :-P

Congrats, the job well done!

I don't dare to ask how much it cost...

Well John ,to be honest is was not that pricey, :whistle: Seriously, when you consider what was involved for installation and set up of this sort of system it could of easily become expensive, After purchasing all the correct bits, It was more about the labour cost, finding out the best way to install , custom manufacturing some parts, and synchronising all in with the rest of the 'Changes' .

The good news is I have my Esprit back home, All of the engine tuning development is now complete,

My lap top has been loaded with the final ECU mapping, and a program installed so i can check all parameters in real time with engine running or not ,for fault diagnosis should it ever be required. (Omex program)

I will write up the full engine build specification in detail when I get time. (So it can be repeated.)

Here is the last dyno run No.71 with relevant data. It has taken a long time but developments always do.... I will photo the COP mods and post in next couple of days.....Home at Last,.......

post-10519-0-61451400-1340223023.jpg

post-10519-0-07713000-1340223081.jpg

post-10519-0-53167200-1340223093.jpg

post-10519-0-84762100-1340223101.jpg

Hi again ,

Just to finalize things on this project i have fitted the 027 V8 gear box . this has been done because it is slightly stronger, but more importantly has a much better gear change than the early '89' model system.

There was some discussion on this thread on whether it would fit or not . Well it does, but only just. The chassis aperture where the gear leaver selector mechanism fits has to be altered to accommodate , Also the side bracket which positions the one cable on the gear box fouls the 4 pot chassis rear loop. This also can be altered by relieving an area on the bracket so it it clears the chassis.

The next area that needs attention is the exhaust mounting frame attached to the back of the g/box. This interferers with the one cable and requires quite substantial changes.

Once all these points had been resolved a road test showed that it all works great. The gear change is much, much better. It has a crisper more precise feel with no wishy washy,'' where is second'' any more.

Another point is the speedo drive....The 027 box does not have one, the 89 SE model needs one.!!! Solution new electronic speedo.

Because so many things on this Esprit have now been changed , the compatibility and accuracy of a later Lotus speedo would be in question, so i decided to purchase a pair of gauges from SPA. These are right up to date quality units with stepper motors, they are multi-function and programmable into your system for spot on accuracy, The rev counter wires straight into the original wiring. The speedo does need a little more work fitting the hall sensor . It will not work off the standard speed sensors fitted to our Esprit's rear hub. The sensor cable supplied is also not long enough to go all the way to the rear , so i have fitted to the front o/s hub.

Apart from monitoring all the 'changes' I think this now completes the project as far as it can go for now..Time to enjoy all the work.

Dave

post-10519-0-45699000-1340773848.jpg

Edited by CHANGES

TEST RESULTS.

After 175 mile trip last Sunday on the NMEG hoon , I am pleased to report that the G/Box is spot on, A far more

precise change. a lot quicker with no effort . 5th gear is very tall but as i will only use it when cruising I will leave

it alone for now...

The coil on plug system is amazing , so smooth . I did not expect to feel such a difference, The engine note out of the

exhaust under power has softened a little also...almost bearable now.....

I have developed a small issue with fuel temperature , The twin pump boost system with swirl pot is creating a lot

of heat in the system. This in turn is slightly effecting the mixture , noticeable at tick over, As i do not run the lamba

sensor switched on then this creates a problem..... :coffee:

I am looking into all the parameters for a solution , a fuel cooler being one, re-routing the fuel return into left tank another.

or a combination of both...

Installation of either will mean a few ' Changes' will this ever end.... :scared:

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE...

After spending some time studying the reason for the fuel temp. getting so hot and how it was effecting the overall system I decided a fuel cooler with the redirection of fuel return was the best option.

The underlying reasons for the problem was all the 'changes' that were made during the build, one being the aero floor which stops any circulation of air around the tanks. Along with other engine bay heat shielding and insulation against noise I had in-fact created a perpetual heating system for the fuel.

The recirculation of the petrol though the swirl pot via the hot injector rail is by a 270ltr/h pump at 3.5 bar. This is creating its own little heating system as the 1.5 ltr swirl pot was getting hotter and hotter . The constant top up fuel that was supplied by the tank pump to the swirl pot was not mixing well enough to cool the system sufficiently. The other factor was , any heat transferred to the tank return fuel was mostly pumped straight back to the swirl pot as the tank return point is adjacent to the tank pump inlet.

Putting all these factors together with the warm weather factor and the result was....After a longish run the main engine pump could be heard cavitating air in the system , the swirl pot was so hot you could hardly touch it, and when the engine was switched off you could hear the swirl pot bubble away for about five seconds....

(not good :shock: )

SOLUTION....

The very nature of all the 'changes' made and the reasons behind them means they can not be reversed without upsetting all the benefits. So we need to make a few more 'changes'

The first step was to reduce the fuel temp coming off the hot injector rail before it goes back to the swirl pot. This was done by installing an oil cooler type radiator into the return line...

post-10519-0-04966500-1343747179.jpg

The next job was to create a suitable housing to guide the airflow though the radiator in the most

efficient way possible, with space restrictions we are all so familiar with.

post-10519-0-77064900-1343747529.jpg

The next problem was the orientation of the air flow in relation to the rad. This was overcome by

guiding the air multipal times through the rad using vanes ,

post-10519-0-56721200-1343747798.jpg

Once all manufactured and sealed the ducting could be installed with an in line 235 cfm 4'' fan. The air supply was gained from outside via the rear bumper cavity and exhausted on opposite side.

A second 135 cfm 3'' in line fan was used to create an air circulation around all the parts which once covered would create there own heat source .

The return fuel line which used to be to the right tank was also redirected to the left. The tank supply to the swirl pot was placed below the engine return ensuring the max mix for cooling before overflow back to the left tank . Two further ducts were also installed into the aero floor which creates and air flow around the tanks and a cooling effect on the pump sump on the right tank..

post-10519-0-39992400-1343748739.jpg

post-10519-0-33409300-1343748763.jpg

The outcome was an acceptable fuel temp on as hot day with a little more boot space lost...

all finished off with still enough room for the overnight bag... and a useful shelf

post-10519-0-59628100-1343748948.jpg

The moral of this thread is when you make a few 'changes' be prepared to make many more to balance out the outcome...........£££££......

Edited by CHANGES

Brilliant work. Looking forward to seeing it at Brands Hatch. Must remember to park mine well away from this beast as dont want to draw attention away from your car!!

Dave,

I'm puzzled why you felt the need for a swirl pot since the Esprit has the fuel pump in a deep well in the RH tank... Seems like the car should never starve for fuel down to the last gallon...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Dave,

I'm puzzled why you felt the need for a swirl pot since the Esprit has the fuel pump in a deep well in the RH tank... Seems like the car should never starve for fuel down to the last gallon...

If you recall several pages back ,in order to sustain the power output the fuel system needed changing,

The original pipe bore in the tank was too small and could not supply the volume constantly, it also needed to be at

6.5 bar pressure to get anywhere near what was needed for the package to work... A swirl pot was thought to be

the best solution at the time . A lager pump in the tank with bigger pipes would not fit. An external pump could run

into problems with fuel lift on start up as they are designed to push not pull. Changing the tanks take off point then

using a low down external pump was an option, but not practical as the Esprit was complete. If i ever back engineer

this Esprit a new tank design would be the way to go, but from what i have learned and the fuel system i am using I

would still incorporate a form of cooler to be on the safe side... Remember the constant recirculation of fuel in the

injection systems will heat the fuel anyway but as long as it stays below a threshold then there is not a problem.

As the tanks in the Esprit are internal then the situation of heat is amplified..

Fuel starvation down to the last gallon was never an issue, it was what was needed to allow the system to run

smooth and produce over 420 bhp....

When you get up to this power level the ingredients are the same but the volumes are so different...and with that

comes the problems.

If i was to settle for around the 360 bhp point, the original set up with sports pump would do the job as would a lot

of lesser parts throughout..,.How reliable that would be is unknown.... But as this was a project to see what

could be achieved with smooth driveability, then these are all the issues that have been encountered and the 'changes'

made to overcome....

hope this answers you question....

It is an awesome car having seen it in the flesh, Dave is very very talented.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"