Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
TLF Lotus Evora Long Term Test - Page 4 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

TLF Lotus Evora Long Term Test

TLF News

Great write up Bibs. That's my new favourite colour.

What next now that you have been through the entire Evora line up?

New Exige S, Exige Roadster of Evora Cabriolet?

• Gold FFM

Fiat Punto

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Bibs, what is your conclusion on the IPS versus the manual? The Evora shift cables/gearbox on the manual are probably its weakest point, but I never liked automatics on a sports car, excepting the new double-clutch systems.

Which would you choose now having driven both for quite some time.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

To be honest, an MY12 NA IPS would be my pick. Fun to drive, good looking and good MPG, makes me feel like I'm in a race car. The S is road shreddingly quick but 12MPG is all I ever see on the display, it gets very expensive!

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Having now driven a couple of 2012 cars and direct comparrison jumping from out of a 2010 there is a very marked difference in feel on the later cars. Much more solid and pleasant to the touch on the interiors. Not driven an N/A IPS so can't comment on that but bet it's a cracker. I too couldn't live with high fuel costs as this would spoil my enjoyment but if performance was your need then the S is where it's at. Luckily it's more about the drive for me (this week anyway and i reserve the right to change my opinion)

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Having seen that you drive rather slow :thumbsup: I expected you would choose the NA. For my purposes the S was the only option, in fact I wish the car had even more power so that the top speed would exceed 300 kph . I stll get the best mileage with this car compared to anything I've owned in the last 10 years.

But the IPS could become an option for my next Evora (will take sometime, mine is just 16 months old).

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

• 1 month later...

There's going to be one final update then the car is going back with no replacement :(

It's been a great year though, so much fun! I'm going to write a short report for Lotus, can ANYONE who has been influenced in any way by the TLF test please either post below or PM me with your thoughts on how we did, if the articles made you want to (or indeed go out and) buy an Evora, if I took you for a drive, what you thought, how your perception changed, anything I did well, anything I didn't do well etc? Thanks :)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I for one, having driven the N/A on many occasion, really wanted to see what the S was like. Did the IPS annoy like on so many Sports cars, or was it useable and enjoyable?

Your reports definately helped me decide that it was an Evora S I really wanted. However, since the V6 Exige has come out any purchasing has been put on hold until I can drive it.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Yes I did. I was talking about before you did your reports and that it helped me! Numpty!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Bibs - I have been a keen reader of your reports and in some ways they make bittersweet reading for me. I was in line to get the first customer car but had to pull out as a knee injury mean I could no longer drive a manual.

I have considered the IPS and your reviews have tempted me as I still want an Evora. On the other hand I have now done 20,000 miles of electric driving in my Tesla and I can not see me going back, an electric sports car is just more fun to drive.

What I really want is an Evora with electric drive, something that keeps the performance of the Tesla with the better cabin / interior / handling of the Evora (OK, they have moved it up market a bit, but in the end the Tesla is an Elise). If it could be a convertible then better still.

The Evora 414E is something I would buy if Lotus released it but I would prefer something pure electric rather than a hybrid / range extender. The Roadster is basically 6 year old technology and Lotus have the technology to make the best electric sports car in the world.

Anyway I think your long term tests carry far more weight with existing and potential Lotus customers so if Lotus have any sense an Exige Roadster will be waiting for you when you drop off the Evora.

Bibs - we were planning on getting an Evora. Your write ups were a defining factor when we came to purchase our S. Your enthusiasm for all things Lotus is a great thing for the brand.

The write ups are insightful and honest and give a real world experience far beyond any magazine write up. I think this does more for those interested in ownership than other media input. It would be great for you to get something else t write about - new Elise or Exige S?!

Great pics too!

"Simplify, then add lightness”

Thanks Alan. Sadly due to cost cutting in Hethel it's unlikely I'll get another for some time.

So what are you going to be driving? It would seem wrong for you not to be in a Lotus.

I would lend you my Esprit, but then again I have seen the way you drive :harhar:

Any more thoughts anyone?

Well, as you've asked.

Accepting all the positives you have highlighted and not questioning that it's marvellous to drive, as a current Evora driver, for me the most valuable fact you have mentioned is the 12-15 mpg fuel consumption. And you've not glossed over that.

Assessing my type of use by considering the tyre life you have mentioned, and comparing mine with the tyre life reports of other NA drivers here, I'm pretty sure I'd generally be hitting the bottom end of the mpg range. That absolutely rules it out for me.

In comparison with the, as your report says, "not much slower NA", in which I get 25 mpg plus or minus, depending, the NA is the only choice. And with the CAI fitted, even more so.

As another factor, the resale market might be very thin, given the tax + fuel + tyre costs in comparison with the NA +CAI. I wonder how many buyers at SH prices would want to stomach those running costs.

Edited by mdavies

Bibs,

Driving the Evora IPS at Hethel and riding in your first Evora NA that weekend (LHR-Castle Combe-Wales-back to your area in West Malling), and the write up here, definitely changed my impression of the Evora!

Originally I had seen it as too much of a compromise, not as racy as the Elise/Exige, and not as "super" as the Esprit. Now I see the Evora as a great looking, fun, fast, comfortable, great handling, amazing braking... Probably the best compromise possible! And definitely as attractive to own, if not more, than my favorite Esprit... No longer a wimpy step brother to the Esprit.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

On full auto mode, driving it gently on long journeys I get 25+ mpg from my MY2012 S IPS. The board computer revealed itself pessimistic (!) when I checked the real range.

One thing to note is that from the factory, the wheel alignment was catastrophic, and after having it redone properly, the fuel consumption dropped. And I mean dropped. Perhaps by 15 to 20%...

The realignment can be dony by your dealer, but it is quite a tedious process. The adjustments are very sensible and it may take a few tries to get it right.

One problem is, that thecorrect alignment should be measured when the car is settled properly, whilst it is almost impossible to reach the adjustments while it is (unless your dealer has a well).

Certainly nothing for a time pressed sloppy mechanic :no

Edited by TBD