Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Need a little help with my project...... - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Need a little help with my project......

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

All I can think to say to the whole thing is... why? But each to their own, whatever blows your skirt up ;)

This is an Esprit restoration forum and you're ruining one to make a kit car :huh:

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

That's a touch unfair. I imagine the car had already been ruined by a neglectful previous owner. If the body and various other parts sells then he could well be resurrecting another Esprit and helping keep a host of others in tip top condition.

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

This is an Esprit restoration forum and you're ruining one to make a kit car :huh:

Paul.

I think you will find paul that this forum is for Esprit projects aswell as restorations, so i think it fits in fine. Plus as nic pointed out it wasn't me who took this car off the road in 2007, nor did i neglect it previous to that.

When i bought the car i didnt intend to strip it but the more i looked into it the more i found that it suited my needs for my F40 project. As nic already said, if one does get sacraficed then it keeps others on the road.

If my project isnt welcome here then just say and i'll leave. I just thought it would be of interest to fellow petrolheads, seeing as it is Esprit based.

You're very welcome and I'm sure there are a lot of interested people who want to know. Paul is allowed his opinion and perhaps he should remember that you are allowed yours.

Ultimately, it's your car and you can do with it as you wish.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

You're very welcome and I'm sure there are a lot of interested people who want to know. Paul is allowed his opinion and perhaps he should remember that you are allowed yours.

Ultimately, it's your car and you can do with it as you wish.

Many thanks Bibs, I will continue to update as my project progresses.

Cheers

Look, we all are sad when an Esprit bites the dust but given the choice between rotting to nothing/sold for the price of gold by the likes of Douglas valley and being used for various projects/keeping other Esprits alive, I'd go for the latter.

I've already had a good look at the body you are selling. 18 months ago, I may have bought it.

Your project is very interesting and is likely to raise many relevant issues to purists and modders alike so I also welcome you here. Your GFRP skills alone are worth alot.

I can understand Paul's feelings and do empathise but if we all stuck to original it could get alittle dull. I like the variety we get on this forum.

Its also nice to have some ''healthy'' debate!! :devil:

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Cheers for all the comments guys, im much happier that this thread stirs emotions in people than gets left on the side lines!

Today i am having a big move around in the workshop trying to make enough room the get the chassis inside the F40 body so i can start on the floor pan, im also laying up some very thick flat grp sheet to cut up for the tunnel and floor sections. I'll update a little later with pictures of how its all going. I'll also get some pics of the chassis, which is in very good condition.

Cheers

Hi all,

Sorry the updates have been a bit lacking lately, im having internet problems again.

We are slowly progressing with the project, and this week we finally got the body over the Esprit chassis. Separating the Esprit body form the chassis wasn't a massive massive job, and my chassis seems to be in pretty good condition. Except for the added engine mounts, but the grinder soon sorted them out. Heres the pictures....

dsc09237f.jpg

dsc09238w.jpg

dsc09239p.jpg

dsc09241l.jpg

dsc09242g.jpg

dsc09243j.jpg

dsc09245s.jpg

dsc09248u.jpg

dsc09253b.jpg

dsc09255mz.jpg

dsc09257rr.jpg

dsc09258m.jpg

Next i have to line up the chassis with the body then i can fix them both down in position and start to do the floor pans and the tunnel.

The Esprit body finishes on ebay today, over 100 watchers and no bids.

Comments always appreciated

Cheers

I'm very impressed by your skill.

I would think using the Esprit chasis will actually help the car to have some proper road holding?

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I'm very impressed by your skill.

I would think using the Esprit chasis will actually help the car to have some proper road holding?

Thats exactly why i went for this chassis. I plan for my body to add a lot of stiffness as well as a built in roll cage that will triangulate to the strut tops. The roll cage will also be bonded into the shell.

Cheers for the comments

Impressive project you're doing. What's your plan for restoring torsional rigidity to the chassis?

The body (according to sources at the factory) doesn't really add to the torsional rigidity, the chassis / subframe does that itself.

I've read in various articles on both the G and S models that the body adds to the rigidity.

EG...Once bolted together, the body and chassis create a structure with almost double the torsional stiffness of the basic backbone chassis...

http://www.lotusespritturbo.com/Lotus_Esprit_Turbo_Road_Test.htm

From repairs I've done to the rear bobbin mounts on a few Esprits there's a noticeable improvement in stiffness. When my engine was out I made additional chassis-body braces which re-alized another improvement as well.

The plan to tie a triangulated the roll cage is a good one and offers the opportunity for an even stiffer car than the original Esprit.

DanR

But can the car be TOO stiff? Bicycle manufacturers learned years ago that a certain amount of frame flex can be a good thing.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Maybe for pushbikes but never for cars. Manufacturers and racers are always searching for better ways of engineering to make their vehicles more rigid.

I don't know about bikes but one chassis that needs a little flex is a go-kart. They are then fine-tuned with adjustable stiffeners. Neither of those have springing and shock absorbers.

DanR

If the suspension design and set up is not up to scratch then an overly stiffened chassis will show up the suspensions ride and handling short falls very obviously. In that case an overly stiff chassis would not necessarily be desired. Of course, in the case of the Evora, the chassis stiffness will have already been set before the final tuning of the ride and handling.

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

If the suspension design and set up is not up to scratch then an overly stiffened chassis will show up the suspensions ride and handling short falls very obviously. In that case an overly stiff chassis would not necessarily be desired. Of course, in the case of the Evora, the chassis stiffness will have already been set before the final tuning of the ride and handling.

Easy fix. Soften the suspension ie springs and shocks. The ride, handling and road holding will be better as will NVH.

DanR

• 1 year later...