Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Gear change cable gaiters - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Gear change cable gaiters

It appears the S4 gear change cable gaiters (part no. A082F6369F) are no longer available and the quoted replacement (part no. A082F6573F) is not suitable. The correct gaiter has a 20mm diameter bore at the sheath end but the later gaiter is only 11.5mm. Any one know of an alternative? Thanks.

May be a silly question but is the rubber pliable enough to expand from 11.5 - 20mm? it may well stretch, some of the universal c.v. joint rubbers expand loads.

Otherwise maybe look towards renault of a similar vintage

I'd fancy your chances to find something suitable at a motor cycle parts place.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I found that, I just fitted them anyway and used cable ties to secure them to the thinner portion of cable guide.

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

Hopefully I'm not telling my Granny how to suck eggs here, but have you tried soaking the gaiters in really hot (almost boiling) soapy water for 20 mins before fitting, then using neat Fairy Liquid to help them go on?

It's a bit of a guddle, but it should do the trick.

Alan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Any more developments or confirmations on gear cable gaiters? I've just ordered a pair from Lotus and somewhat dismayed to see the comment above that they won't fit!

How did those MGF parts do? The MGF ones listed on Ebay look a lot shorter than the pic above.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

The ones supplied to me by SJ two years ago I felt were incorrect, as try as I might, I couldn't get them over the alloy cable ends. I spoke to Steve, and he said that it was the best he could do, and to persevere. After every trick in the book, I gave up, and ended up cutting off the gaiter end cuffs (the big end) in order to stretch them over. I wasn't happy about doing it, but I got them to fit, and used thin cable ties to secure them. After 5,000 miles, they're still in place.

Margate Exotics.

2 hours ago, sailorbob said:

The photo in my post of 25/07/11 is showing a hybrid of the MGF and Lotus gaiter.

So with the join near the left in the photo, the concertina bit is original Lotus and the 1" end MGF?

Mines buggered along all the bellows unfortunately so a Frankenstein creation wouldn't work. It looks like a dealer in the past has tried adjusting the gearchange but the rod end threads have been siezed, thus they have twisted the entire cable and boot a couple of turns, nice.

Just found some old photos I took when I had the same problem. You can see the original gaiter has a much larger end than the SJ -supplied one. That's the one I cut the end off, and cable tied. No matter what I did, I could not get it to fit as supplied over the alloy cable ends.

Mark - check the gaiter length is sufficient for the job, that looks a bit short to me.

unspecified.jpg

unspecified1.jpg

unspecified3.jpg

unspecified4.jpg

Margate Exotics.