Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus at the 2011 Goodwood Festival of Speed - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus at the 2011 Goodwood Festival of Speed

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent, going on Friday. What are the chances of a proper nose around it (would like to see how much it feels like an Esprit). Am quite surprised with the similarities between my 1980 esprit and 2000 elise, certain bits of Lotusness between them

Sadly will not be the next purchase for me - that is also on the list to look at there on the Alfa stand

OK OK you lucky sods !

what i would do to go to Goodwood ! ............................anyone looking for a spare testicle ? lol

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

Flight tickets are about R6800 return at the moment. Was at Hethal two weekends ago. I would also love to go to Goodwood but my holidays are done till december, no work = no pay.

And no, they dont take nuts, There are enough loose nuts running round SA as is...

Excellent, going on Friday. What are the chances of a proper nose around it (would like to see how much it feels like an Esprit).

I'll be there Friday. I guess they'll send current Elise owners further back in the queue. You lot Esprit owners are more the target demographics apparently!

Spent the day at Goodwood. Lotus stand excellent. New Esprit stunning but smaller than pictures suggest. DBs restored V8 really holds its own against the new cars. It had the biggest crowds/photo calls and punters were seriously asking how much it was and when they could buy it! Made my day. Check out the interior - very nice.

Everyone I spoke to was very positive, including the new head of product marketing who has just joined from Rolls-Royce. He was keen to let me know new Esprit and its engine are bang on schedule.

Sadly, every time I see pictures of the new Esprit, I can't help but think "Oh look, the next Camry of super cars...". Hopefully that works to Lotus' advantage, and helps them sell lots of them. Does nothing for me though.

And who came up with the paint for the race car? I respect and appreciate the black & gold JPS legacy, but the odd mouth striping and red accents on that Evora look more like a caricature of a race car than a competition vehicle.

Edited by erioshi

• Gold FFM

Was there on Sunday - fantastic fun - my first Goodwood...

Thought the new Esprit looked better than I thought in the flesh (plastic/ composite?) - although I think it is too tall compared to the Esprit Mk1 (by the way is this what we will call the first age of the Esprit?) - Also I still feel that when the original S1 was designed, it was the future today - it was a concept which was almost to crazy to be built, and yet the built it anyway - maybe that era (the 70s) was just like that in terms of concepts - but I don't feel the new Esprit is iconic enough and so it is for these reasons (and not the the totally unrelated small size of my bank balance) which will prevent me from putting an order in at this stage.... Of course evolution during the concept to production version evolution might shake things up a bit, so who knows...?

Sadly, every time I see pictures of the new Esprit, I can't help but think "Oh look, the next Camry of super cars...". Hopefully that works to Lotus' advantage, and helps them sell lots of them. Does nothing for me though.

Was there on Sunday - fantastic fun - my first Goodwood...

Thought the new Esprit looked better than I thought in the flesh (plastic/ composite?) - although I think it is too tall compared to the Esprit Mk1 (by the way is this what we will call the first age of the Esprit?) - Also I still feel that when the original S1 was designed, it was the future today - it was a concept which was almost to crazy to be built, and yet the built it anyway - maybe that era (the 70s) was just like that in terms of concepts - but I don't feel the new Esprit is iconic enough and so it is for these reasons (and not the the totally unrelated small size of my bank balance) which will prevent me from putting an order in at this stage.... Of course evolution during the concept to production version evolution might shake things up a bit, so who knows...?

I agree 100% with the above two posts.

The more I see the new Esprit concept, the less appeal it has for me.

Considering its aimed at the money is no object crowd , it really is somewhat bland and ordinary when compared to say the Lamborghini Aventador which without doubt is one exciting car in the styling department.

Unless they are prepared to radically overhaul the styling on the Esprit by the time it comes into production, they wont have a hope of making the new business plan a success.

Lamborghini-Aventador-LP700-4-side-view.jpg

SUNP0003-1.jpg

They've already done quite a lot of work restyling it. The design dept don't sit on their hands from Paris to the launch date, they're a very busy bunch but you'll not see the progress until much closer to the date.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I thought the Lotus stand was awesome. Great location and very impressive size. I also loved the Esprit, though still not 100% on those under designed head lights, though was reliably informed it was not the final design (and glad Bibs has confirmed that). All in all a great stand. Well done Lotus :).

Shame the Esprit was at the back of the stand and you couldn't get round to see it's rear end. Why wasn't it up the front for all to see?

IMHO the stand was too small and very poorly set out compared to some of the others.

And when the drivers (kiss the haybale Mansell was one of them) were doing autographs on Sunday the hunters were totally blocking access to the Esprit.

Cracking day out though, wih the helicopter ride easily surpassed by helping the Mclaren Racing boys load the MP4-12C onto their truck at the end of the session. Hopefully Surferphil will post his piccies!

Dave.

They've already done quite a lot of work restyling it. The design dept don't sit on their hands from Paris to the launch date, they're a very busy bunch but you'll not see the progress until much closer to the date.

Thats good to know.

Its an odd break from concept car tradittion though, usually the concept is totally OTT and the production version is dialed back and more restrained.

So the restyle is a result of potential customer feedback?

SUNP0003-1.jpg

post-5743-0-90252100-1309709192_thumb.jp

I thought Dany's Esprit had the rear spolier? Absolutely loved the version they made for him, i wonder if it will ever be offered for sale or stay as a development car?

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.

The spoiler was removed not long after the car was completed first time round, he's not a fan and he drives the car regularly, at least weekly so it will stay as 'his' car for now.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.