Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
90 Turbo Engine Swap - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

90 Turbo Engine Swap

Couger

Wayhay!!! :blink: Glad to hear it :D

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anybody have any Ideas how Ill ammend my portfolio and service history etc to accommadate a new set of engine numbers,will I need an AA RAC engineers report... or is my service history not worth jack now...

:blink:

Im Brian and so is my wife

Keep all receipts, take photos if necessary and then inform DVLA

I have a new block in mine - no problems. It's on your V5 form - send them the new number and that's about all I did!

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

Keep all receipts, take photos if necessary and then inform DVLA

I have a new block in mine - no problems. It's on your V5 form - send them the new number and that's about all I did!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Fishy, am taking plenty photos for my page on LEW so will come in handy for my portfolio, will this now be classed as "modified" as Im insured with classic line who were a bit fussy when I first got the policy out I nearly told them where to go, but they were cheap....

Ian :blink:

Ian

Is your replacement engine a carb turbo same as before cos I know you mentioned possibly buying a chargecooled S4 engine from Garry Kemp ??

If its a straight swap - like for like - then thats not a modification so your insurance won't be affected, in fact you shouldn't need to even tell them as they don't keep records of engine numbers. Like Robin said, the only people you'd need to tell is the DVLA.

Steve

89 SE Pacific Blue

http://lexi.mantaur.co.uk

Ian

Is your replacement engine a carb turbo same as before cos I know you mentioned possibly buying a chargecooled S4 engine from Garry Kemp ??

If its a straight swap - like for like - then thats not a modification so your insurance won't be affected, in fact you shouldn't need to even tell them as they don't keep records of engine numbers. Like Robin said, the only people you'd need to tell is the DVLA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Steve

Its a exact replacement carb model only difference is its done less miles than my original engine, all I was thinking about was if it got burned or wrote off and the insurance company wanted an investigation if it ever came to that, but like you say as long as DVLA are informed Im not breaking any laws and not increasing or changing the spec of the car, in the end Garrys engine would of been my first choice and still may be an option at a later date, but for now this going to get me back on the road at about half the cost.

Cheers

Ian :blink:

Nope! Doesn't affect insurance at all. As you said, it is like for like. Tell DVLA, job done. I crashed mine and it wasnt an issue as they looked at my V5 and looked at my block and they all matched as it was all above board and legal :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

WAYHAAYYY!!!!!!

:D

Glad to hear it mate :blink:

errrr shouldn't you be running it in?! :blink:

Otherwise errrm Am I right in thinking you put one of Kempie's S4 engine's in? If so, then I THINK they are renouned for a stumble about there?

See the Chip modding pages on LEW.....

Otherwise - no idea!! lol

errrr shouldn't you be running it in?! :)

Otherwise errrm Am I right in thinking you put one of Kempie's S4 engine's in? If so, then I THINK they are renouned for a stumble about there?

See the Chip modding pages on LEW.....

Otherwise - no idea!! lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No its a re con engine with about 500 miles on it, but yes it still needs a bit more running in, its the carb model without the chip, prob very similair to your engine. The guy who did the work for me was honest enough to tell me Id be better off getting the carbs set up by a proffessional tuning centre or maybe a rolling road, it isnt an issue really, just me prob being a bit over protective of her :)

Ian

Nice one Ian

Glad its back on the road again.

Please be careful out there though - not sure if you've seen the news elsewhere but the community is one Esprit less (for the moment at least). The roads are very slippy at the moment and this was an apparently low speed incident which ended on its roof....

Anyway, don't wanna put a damper on your news. Enjoy it mate :)

Steve

89 SE Pacific Blue

Nice one Ian

Glad its back on the road again.

Please be careful out there though - not sure if you've seen the news elsewhere but the community is one Esprit less (for the moment at least). The roads are very slippy at the moment and this was an apparently low speed incident which ended on its roof....

Anyway, don't wanna put a damper on your news. Enjoy it mate :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Steve,

Yes my baby will get the 5 star treatment from now on, Ive had a very harsh lesson in Esprit ownership.

Ian :)

Steve makes a very good point.

The next thing is to avoid a harsh lesson in driving

MOST of us have spun our cars at least once in teh first six months of ownership.

Some of us weren't lucky enough to not hit anything! (<---See avatar!!)

I really can't recommend to you strongly enough to shell out a couple of hundred quid to get onto an airstrip or whatever with an instructor and spend a day going sideways and being taught how to control the car and to realise just how easily they CAN and DO bite..... and when they do bite back its VERY quick!

All that aside.... ENJOY :)

Steve makes a very good point.

The next thing is to avoid a harsh lesson in driving

MOST of us have spun our cars at least once in teh first six months of ownership.

Some of us weren't lucky enough to not hit anything! (<---See avatar!!)

I really can't recommend to you strongly enough to shell out a couple of hundred quid to get onto an airstrip or whatever with an instructor and spend a day going sideways and being taught how to control the car and to realise just how easily they CAN and DO bite..... and when they do bite back its VERY quick!

All that aside.... ENJOY :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers Steve,

Thats something I really should do at some point, even today in the damp, a pratt in a max power saxo vtr thingy was really trying to get a race out of me.. and its so tempting to humiliate these brain donors.

Ian :)

Makes me wonder how some are still around to annoy my driving.

Think the worst s the guy who spent 20k on his new BMW and is sure it can outerform the Esprit !!!! Tosser...

Edited by The_Del

Progress update re: S4s clutch swap.

Taken 3 weekends to swap out including all the other jobs that needed doing.

Car initially fired first time, then died, now just cranks over with no attempt to fire. Surely if I had disturbed something it wouldn't have fired at all?

Some headscratching ahead me thinks.

Better get the bible out.

Glyn :)

Glyn

Dunno if you've sorted your problem out yet but have you checked the fuel cut-off switch ?!?!

If that had been knocked (quite possible if you had the boot floor out doing the clutch) then it would fire for a few seconds and then die and not restart.

I may be completely wrong but it tends to be the simplest things that stump us !!!

HTH

Steve

89 SE Pacific Blue

Hi Steve

Not had any time to sort it out as yet, although I have checked the fuel cut-off. When I feel the rubber top, it feels flat and cannot be pressed (well i've not tried too hard). Is that what yours feels like?

Should have more time soon (teacher - christmas hols - but Ofsted inspection when we get back :-(

Glyn