Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cold air intake - Page 7 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Cold air intake

There are rumours that there might be some Evora upgrades announced at Goodwood this year, could this be Lotus incorporating the Radium system on the NA...?

We all know the engine is capable of so much more than 276bhp, so Lotus must have been aware. Perhaps that was in the plan all along.. ie product development over the life of the car, gradually getting the NA up to 300bhp.

IF this is the case, I hope the Lotus offer upgrades for existing owners!

Stock exhaust so it's just the CAI making the noise. No difference in sound up to 3000rpm then begins to howl. Passing 4000rpm under hard acceleration the sound is really fantastic - resonant. Whether there is a big difference in power / acceleration I cannot really quantify but it does feel a bit quicker, perhaps that is in part due to the sound. Very pleased!

There are rumours that there might be some Evora upgrades announced at Goodwood this year, could this be Lotus incorporating the Radium system on the NA...?

Recently I had the chance to push my constantly plugged theme that Lotus really can't ignore what Radium has proved for the NA to someone quite senior in the Lotus marketing hierarchy. Nothing was mentioned re Goodwood, or any timescale - though I told him that even the next day would still be rather late - but I was assured that Lotus was aware and something of the sort was indeed in hand and being worked on. (I'm not quoting exact words - I was persistent and several phrasings were used.) He mentioned some work and the people active on the task. As I've previously posted here, I've come across some work of this nature and what I heard tied in exactly. I emphasised that it was important that the performance standard Radium has set was at least matched. (That is, the technical spec should make mandatory that buyers will find themselves using the words "wow", "transformed" and "fantastic" after their first drive, however sceptical they may previously have been.)

If it had not been for the current hiatus, I would be confident that something would be announced soon, but as things are, timescales could be anything. But, for Lotus' sake, I live in hope. Those already CAI equipped have no need to hope of course - welcome RJB!

Stock exhaust so it's just the CAI making the noise. No difference in sound up to 3000rpm then begins to howl. Passing 4000rpm under hard acceleration the sound is really fantastic - resonant. Whether there is a big difference in power / acceleration I cannot really quantify but it does feel a bit quicker, perhaps that is in part due to the sound. Very pleased!

Exactly my feeling after my first drives - I said "overwhelming" for the subjective impression and it's hard to be objective. My post 140 above gives some thoughts about the US dyno test that showed +13 bhp with a standard exhaust, but without any mention that they had ensured ambient air temperature to the CAI. It's likely that you have at least that - and maybe more. I wish I was able to assess the possible relationship between intake and exhaust airflow restrictions, but apart from expecting it to be complex and "it all depends", I know when to give up.

Edited by mdavies

From sources that can remain nameless, but suffice to say they should know, I had also heard that Lotus were working on the Radium equivalent as well. However I also heard that the factory slow down was delaying things.

Now I'm wondering if the Radium and the de-cat kit with the Sports exhaust that I have on my NA will all be a bit much? Still it looks like I'll be able to report on the Sports Exhaust and De-Cat combo first as should be getting delivered to MMC soon I'm told. I can then get impressions before any comitment I'll make to the Radium type route.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

I thought Lotus were developing an intake in conjunction with Lotus Silverstone?

I believe we are talking about the same thing. And the same people that make the Sports silencer are doing the job. But I've been unable to pick up the nature of their approach. The GTN Motorsport brochure includes "a performance air filter" in a kit in conjunction with the sports exhaust, but intriguingly illustrates only the exhaust. (The kit not yet available of course.)

Given the undoubted expertise of the people doing it, and the CAI showing the way, absolutely as a speculation I wonder if there might be development struggles going on to at least match the CAI performance but also cut back the sound level under maximum power and revs and so allow it it to be marketed for "sports road use" rather than competition only.

Edited by mdavies

• 3 weeks later...

Got an engine light the other day - dealer checked code and reset - seems it was the changed airflow from the CAI that caused it but no problem. Did discover a hole in the radiator however which is going to cost! interestingly they said this has been common on the Evora (holed rads)

Got an engine light the other day - dealer checked code and reset - seems it was the changed airflow from the CAI that caused it but no problem. Did discover a hole in the radiator however which is going to cost! interestingly they said this has been common on the Evora (holed rads)

Re CAI airflow light, some more details would be interesting, like circumstances when came on, hot/cold/start up, cruising/full power, details from the code. Whatever. AFAIK yours is the first report of this. MIne has been run without any trace of a problem for over 1k miles now, including prolonged power use. (On suitable Welsh roads!) Told Radium?

Any running hot after radiator water loss?

Mel

Scott, another fan then! I think your review will be particularly interesting as adding to the list of those who confirm that "ordinary" driving is not compromised and to use your word can be "serene"!

It would be interesting to know which silencer you have. Like you, I was surprised at the obvious power increase (my report back in Nov describes) and have thought that perhaps the CAI can work at it's best with a freer flowing silencer like my Lotus Sport, thus the power increase might be more than with a standard silencer. But some people with standard silencers are now reporting some power increase too.

Your video gives a good illustration of ordinary and high power sounds. There is a mid-range too that I particularly enjoy, a deep "powerful, serious" sound. (Words are inadequate!) On the other hand I have not been aware of the "squeaking hiss" you mention (and at least one other has, from memory, with a standard silencer). But perhaps my high frequency response is less acute than it used to be!

Edited by mdavies

It was on a long dual carriageway run in mod traffic - accelerating hard (enjoying the CAI noise) when I noticed the light. Car continued to run fine. Will check with the garage on the code and get back to you, they said initially it was likely if temporarily run lean.

Snooker finished early, so .................. as you'll know, it seems an induction leak possible then. As hot could be a little bit of expansion - though not much, with the airflow - that perhaps retightens when cold. One thought: when I first installed mine, I did not tighten the two allen headed bolts holding the airflow sensor into the inlet tube quite enough, because a few days on when doing a tighten up check I found one of them was quite loose. (I guess there are pretty strong shock waves up and down the pipe when it resonates.) There had been no leak though and I retightened them and they have stayed tight. Their position given the overall alignment of everything on my car brings the bolt heads close to other bits and I had to grind an allen key down to make it short enough to get in to the bolt heads. It might be worth checking them as nothing shows visually and if the heads are awkwardly placed your dealer may have missed any slackness. Just a thought.

Edited by mdavies

Scott, another fan then! I think your review will be particularly interesting as adding to the list of those who confirm that "ordinary" driving is not compromised and to use your word can be "serene"!

It would be interesting to know which silencer you have. Like you, I was surprised at the obvious power increase (my report back in Nov describes) and have thought that perhaps the CAI can work at it's best with a freer flowing silencer like my Lotus Sport, thus the power increase might be more than with a standard silencer. But some people with standard silencers are now reporting some power increase too.

Your video gives a good illustration of ordinary and high power sounds. There is a mid-range too that I particularly enjoy, a deep "powerful, serious" sound. (Words are inadequate!) On the other hand I have not been aware of the "squeaking hiss" you mention (and at least one other has, from memory, with a standard silencer). But perhaps my high frequency response is less acute than it used to be!

Quite possible. The squeeking sound is in the range that requires acute hearing. If you were an older gentleman, say in your 50's, then it's possible you don't hear it.

Anway, there's been loads of surmising what power this CAI will make alone, and what it makes with the stock silencer vs the sport silencer. Well, Radiums tests proved the gain to be 23+HP with the Sports Exhaust, vs. the Sport silencer alone. I don't think the Sport silencer is a multiplier of sorts, so I am convinced I've gained at least 23HP with my stock silencer. But without proper tools, I can only provide empiracal observations.

Now, It's hard to believe a CAI could provide such a significant gain, but when I look at the stock airbox and the restrictive Toyota filter, it becomes clear to me how much effort was put into suppressing the beast within. The thing is just massive, weighing almost 9 lbs (the Radium CAI weighs than less than 6).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96oDyY5g85I

If this CAI came with the car at launch, Lotus would likely have sold many, many more Evoras starting out, even with the induction sound. I believe most Americans buyers scoffed at at the $85K (avg) MSRP for the launch editions, solely given the sub-300 rating. I think most people wouldn't even think twice about the induction sound. Yes their first impression might be, "Whoa, this car sounds crazy, what the hell is that sound!". But along the test drive, they would have realized it posed no threat to daily comfort, yet would produce a roar like no other. People would have walked away with a much more memorable experience.

Seriously, I've driven this car at least 50 miles now since installing it yesterday afternoon and I still hear that incredibly intense whipping/whooshing sound in my head, almost like a video game. It's addictive!

The case is more than likely that any induction noise at the levels you're describing would fall fowl of type approval regulations.

The Esprit had a charcoal mat filled canister inline with the air intake to reduction the noise created or it would have failed the drive by tests, the CAI would need the same. OE Manufacturers have to follow reams and reams of rules that aftermarket parts suppliers don't.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Richard, I'm up in Alton - just outside suburbia!

Scott, thanks for your feedback. 1K miles in mine now. Whatever silencer, everyone comments on the performance gain. I don't find it that surprising, given that the cold air, the free flow and the tuned intake length all contribute. "Older gentleman" - has it come to that! You may have put your finger on it - wish I was in my 50's again!

Bibs

The case is more than likely that any induction noise at the levels you're describing would fall foul of type approval regulations.

The Esprit had a charcoal mat filled canister inline with the air intake to reduction the noise created or it would have failed the drive by tests, the CAI would need the same. OE Manufacturers have to follow reams and reams of rules that aftermarket parts suppliers don't.

Indeed, but Lotus could be pushing the CAI as the No.1 after-market add-on via the dealers - with free fitting! Or, more realistically perhaps, they could have produced their own, similar, 2 years ago - claim to be a sports car outfit after all! I'm with Scott that sales would have benefitted hugely.

Car back and all fine. Actually my son had noticed the hiss too and I thought it was my ageing ears that missed it too, however today with the windows down (summer at last!) I could hear it too. Still loving it, great piece of kit.....

They have been investigating, but still need a development Evora S to progress.

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Polestar 2 - Midnight Blue | Ducati Panigale V2 - Red | Indian Scout Bobber - Black | Honda CB1000R Neo Cafe Racer - Black ::..

You should inform your insurer of every change to the car from factory spec. They'll probably add a token premium increase if anything, it's not a huge performance gain (relatively) and doesn't add to the 'stealability' of the car.

Don't forget you get a TLF discount too :thumbup:

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Well this now may be my next upgrade,but has anyone thought about the insurance issues. Do you tell them .

No insurance problem with my Henderson Taylor policy. (Limited use, second car basis.) I sent in the Radium graphs and made a full disclosure.

The Radium stated peak power gain of 21 bhp is a 7.5% increase. From my road tests the main effect that makes the difference is the torque increase throughout the rpm range - resulting in about a 10% time reduction in a mid-range to max rpm acceleration test. (See my November report.)

PB Racing has a carbon airbox for the Evora S, the one fitted on his +400HP kit. But no heat shield in this kit.

http://www.pbracingshop.com/en/induction/27-convogliatore-aria-evora-carbon-kevlar.html

Elise R 07 - Europa SE 2008 - 2Eleven GT4 - Evora N/A - Evora S - Evora S SR - Evora GT430 Sport

It should be fitted on a S, as the OEM "airbox" is exactly the same on both.

This is not the case. The S has a supercharger that requires the induction to come in at a different angle to the N/A. The pipework needs to be adapted for this. There is also the technical aspects of superchager air flow figures, which will be different to the N/A requirements. My guess is that the superchager 'sucks' as much air as it can handle, the restriciton is the airbox itself. Without that restriction will the Radium type system suck too much air and then need a remap to compensate? I'd like to give it a try but haven't yet found anyone to do the work at an affordable cost.

Edited by brusselsangel