Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Larini silencer - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Larini silencer

Can somebody describe the sound of a Larini silincer compared to a stock exhaust. I'm considering replacing the stock exhaust for a StSt Larini system but I heard that the larini system is LOUD.

Freek.

Esprit Freak

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I did have a movie file of mine somewhere.

If I get my car out tomorrow I'll do another.

I like the system, built very well but mine blows one pipe more than the other now (by a lot) and theres a lot of popping and stumbling when you go back onto the throttle.

Everyone who's heard it liked it though - I thought it sounded a bit like a V8 with sport pipes. Personally I would not decat either, be way too loud.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Any tubular manifold is going to be louder that standard ones. I've just put SJs tubular one on my S2 and it sounds like Barry White being stung by hornets - deep and very loud!!

Looked into the Larini system - nice but very expensive!

Pete

Edited by peteyg

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi

I have a Larini Sports system on my S4s with Larini de-cat pipe as well,and yes it does sound absolutely gorgeous ,it sounds resonable at 30 mph (when most people would be complaining),but when you floor it ,it sounds even better spits the odd flame out the back too (cant have too much of a good thing).Your choice i guess but if you are around my area you are welcome to drop by for a noise test.which i did have done at the last Castle Coombe Lotus day at at 4500rpm it was 108.8 db on the noise meter :blink::blink:

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

Nick, do you find yours puff out of the driver's side more than the passenger side ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well to be honest no ..........................but then i have the r/h single exit side option :blink::blink:

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

Thanks all info, I live in the Netherlands so not close by thanks for the offer for the sound test. I don't want to decat my car so I will fit a new cat (Larini sports cat or similar). 108.8 Db is loud Nick should be awesome but maybe a bit to loud for me but you have the Larini exhaust without the cat.

Jonathan if you can mail me the sound file I would appreciate this very much.

Thanks

Freek

By the way I'm not going for the dual exit pipe system.

Esprit Freak

Nick, do you find yours puff out of the driver's side more than the passenger side ?

Gases will always find the easiest route; unless it all went into a collector box before splitting into 2 (which would be inefficient and defeat the point) the right hand side will always puff more. Mine doesn't split until right at the end of the system (twin-tip) and even then one blackens first. Seen it on mass produced cars too.

The popping and farting was the biggest disappointment on getting my exhaust (well and the fact they bumped it!) but I learned to live with it, and its still better than sounding like a Moulinex mixer like it did before.

Can't wait to hear how Patpong gets on with his tubular manifold.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

As you are living in the netherlands

yust come to the south.

my car has a larini exhaust

hear and see

gr Rens

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

Hi Mark - Surely all that popping and farting is just the overrun / advance being set free?! :blink:

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Is it? Not sure of the mechanics/principles behind it, I just Know while it sounds great on a BMW M car it sounds a bit crap on mine! Maybe its because its a 4 cylinder, its never gonna sound like a Lambo :blink:

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Might be stepping way past my understanding here (not an exhuast mechanic) but...

If you have to little back pressure on the exhaust the system doesn't fill with pure exhaust gas....every cycle you have 4 short puffs of exhuast gas going into the pipework.

Too little back pressure would make the system back fill with normal air causing turbulance and a nice mix of cool oxygen to help burn off the unburned fuel ? Hence the poping and stuttering.

High revs it's not so bad as there is more exhuast gas filling the system but back off / neutral and isn't that where all the popping etc comes from ?

I was gonna try fitting mine with one of those lorry flaps to see if that was the case, not as a solution but as an experiemnt.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

• 14 years later...

Thanks Bibs. Not spam, just looking for a solution. It's not a Mazda specific problem, so thought it was worth a try. Thanks for your response. 

Pleasure mate, I'm glad you're real! We get spam comments on old threads sometimes. 

Freelance worked on both my MX5's when I had them, they really are one of the best little garages you could happen to come across, a couple of real Mazda gurus!

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

They couldn't really answer the problem, but said that it might be the cat that's failing. Suggested just switching back to a standard exhaust, but I'd lose some of the character of the car.

I lived in Vigo for 30 years, then Birling for 2, before moving to Faversham. Small world.

It is a small world! I grew up in Herne Bay, had a few pals in Faversham and I can almost see Vigo from home! 

Do you have a Sports cat on the car? They need to be at peak (eg very hot) temps to pass emissions. The exhaust after the cat has no bearing on the emissions so changing it isn't the problem here, it's something else and the Cat does sound like the culprit in truth as being an injected car, the fuelling should be correct or you'd be seeing a CEL for rich O2 readings. 

Simple TLF answer is buy an Elise! :thumbup:

Where abouts in Ryarsh are you? I regularly ran through and on thursday eves, parked at the Duke to run, then a beer after ! I lived the last 15 years in The Covert, so the Downs were my back garden and the hills my training ground !!! 

I'm 66 paces from the Duke,  you'll find my picture on their wall when they re-open!! I run the village fete, website and social media too. 

If you pop in after a run, I'm sure we'll have been in there together, I'm there most evenings apart from recently of course.

I used to, when I lived that way. Been in Faversham 7 years now. I used to advertise in BART journal  (Personal Training) and was Race Director of the Harvel 5 for quite a few years. You're not in the big house along towards Birling, are you?

I got an enquiry for training from that house a good few years back. Good area for me. I had clients in Birling, Trottiscliffe & Addington via the BART journal.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/06/2020 at 12:24, Bibs said:

The exhaust after the cat has no bearing on the emissions so changing it isn't the problem here

It depends on what is beeing tested, doesn't it?
It the silencer leaks it could suck fresh air in and so a failed lambda value would be read at the exhaust pipe?

Edited by Giniw