Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus future in the UK - Page 11 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus future in the UK

• Gold FFM

Who's that?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Out of interest could anyone from DRB be assed to drag themselves down to Goodwood? I mean they only own the company FFS!

What and have us lot have a verbal with them; no FC!!

Bibs has the new COO been to the stand?

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

Out of interest could anyone from DRB be assed to drag themselves down to Goodwood? I mean they only own the company FFS!

DRB were at Goodwood!

The company is not for sale - although if the right offer was made they would of course sell.

Instructions have been given to sell what they can actually supply not future models, the Esprit is still in development with the launch in 2014 (put back following the shut down). The other models may be modified as they'll look dated by the time they're launched. The Evora roadster has not been developed but us not ruled out - although it's unlikely. Elise SCs and Exige V6s are selling well in the UK but the Evora isn't - although that is selling well in other countries. No one was surprised DB got the boot.

Talking to the Lotus management they seem more confident than they did at Frankfurt to be honest.

That's good news at least. Shame DRB have no idea about PR though...

Sounds like DRB are actually focussing on building and selling cars rather than PR at present.

Seems a much better approach to me at least.

As usual, Skiddmark's Steve Davies cuts right to the chase, and with his usual clarity. He remains (for me at least) a breath of fresh air when it comes to concise and accurate analysis of complex situations that can be understood by non-industry lay people such as moi.

From the 28 June article:

"A description I gleaned from those inside Hethel was of an environment akin to a bootcamp – with DRB people on the ground supervising every activity and imposing the structure and routine of a volume manufacturer.

There is good reason why Farikullah was appointed as COO rather than CEO of Lotus – he’s a fixer, a company man, who knows the rules and is used to keeping a low profile. While most company leaders would by now have publicised their plans, that’s not Farikullah’s role – he’s there to clean and prepare the business for an ‘as yet’ un-named goal."

And from one of his posts in the blog portion (in response to the "Dany Era" discussion):

"I agree that despite the widespread cynicism they've come a long way in a short time - but from discussions I've had internally they acknowledge they tried to do too much at once. Also Dany's style of management was raise expectations and then work like a slave to make it happen.

What many people fail to remember is that Dany was brought in with the mandate to turn the company around - not to run it as it had been. He was promised a respectable budget and carte blanche to bring in the people and facilities to make the vision a reality.

The fly in the ointment was the timeframe given to achieve it. Proton knew they were heading to a very dark place (in terms of their financial performance) and rightly or wrongly they (Dato' Syed) placed a bet on Dany turning Lotus around and helping to offset some of Proton's decline.

While Dany may not have covered himself in glory, can you really blame him for taking on his first CEO role with such a mandate? That's the kind of challenge that most people in his position would have jumped at. The risk was high, but that's exactly the kind of buzz that many of us enjoy.

He made mistakes, but that's how we all learn to innovate and grow - fortunately few of us fail quite as publicly."

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

I was told they would be roughly using Danny's road map, there might be some diversions, the odd detour etc but the feeling was the goals were the right ones.

Remember Mike Kimberly actually said when the Evora was launched that it was the first of a much bigger model range which would be more up Market.

Hi DBF - I've merged your topic into this one, it's a fairly lengthy discussion on the subject already :)

GIno is still there. For how long though is the question.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

"....suspended managers are believed to be part of the legal, human resources and finance teams....." (EDP report)

Guy, as those are key corporate functions, I think they are disembowelling Lotus as a company but perhaps (let's hope) keeping it as a technical/design/production entity. Your conclusion may well be right, but not necessarily. Perhaps they want to put their own people in - quite possibly recruited in the UK, but new and "untainted".

Just catching up after 5 days away. These may have been Key Corporate functions but there are other people in those departments. These were department heads (yes I know who they were) and one would suspect that they have been involved in whatever it was the DB was sacked for non? Either that or were complacent in letting it go on.

Frankly I'm suprised there haven't been more people going. The company is very top heavy with Managers and from what a friend tells me who's seen the accounts there has been more than a 10x increase in Management wages under DB.

As for the rest, I believe that what DRB are doing is what needs to be done to get the company back on track. Concentrate on product and sales rather than marketing products that don't exist.

I was told they would be roughly using Danny's road map, there might be some diversions, the odd detour etc but the feeling was the goals were the right ones.

Remember Mike Kimberly actually said when the Evora was launched that it was the first of a much bigger model range which would be more up Market.

Indeed. I've said this elsewhere (Sawards blog for example) but MJK had the Evora as the tip of the iceberg. The Evora S and IPS were already sorted, the new MES (Esprit) was well into design and planniong and would have been out for a year now. Then there was the updated Elise and Exige (including a V6 which had already been fitted into the Exige as a test bed) and then a new Supercar above the Esprit.

All this was to be done whilst improving the quality on the Evora, which they struggled with initially because of lack of funds.

So. Look at the above and tell me what the difference is between DB's plan and MJK's?

- The new car designs were less Lotus and more Italian

- MJK's plan involved careful planning of both staged development and funds and use of in house designs and development

- DB, it seems, had no cost control and though he had the money, intead of using it for development he seemed to jump from one idea to the next with little plan. Infact this happened so much he spent the bloomin lot and still didn't actually finish anything!!

- MJK wanted to enter the Evora into racing series and had developed the racing version and 24hr Evora before he left, but DB's ideas were more grandios and included many many race series (again a lack of focus!)

Don't get me wrong. I agree with DB that Lotus needed to improve quality and be seen to be racing. MJK and his team didn't have the funding for it at the time, so had to stage development of anything they were doing.

So now the legal disclaimer: All of the above is was readily available from magazines and interviews and doesn't reflect the views of any person other than myself.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

GIno is still there. For how long though is the question.

Yep, saw him upstairs on the Lotus stand on Saturday. He was behind the counter sorting out the coffee and muffins and generally trying to look busy around Donato Coco.....

"You mess with my muffins, I breaka' yoo face."

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't recall seeing this being discussed, but check out what I think is a new section of the website dubbed Lotus Bespoke, where Mansory is named as Lotus's "Official Customisation Studio". Presumably that means hasta la vista to Swizz?...

post-6978-0-22025700-1342985346.jpg

Sorry to post this twice, but it seemed relevant. Maybe this thread should be merged with the Lotus in the Post DB Era thread?

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Just catching up after 5 days away. These may have been Key Corporate functions but there are other people in those departments. These were department heads (yes I know who they were) and one would suspect that they have been involved in whatever it was the DB was sacked for non? Either that or were complacent in letting it go on.

So now we know who they are. According to today's Sunday Times - Mike Bell, Director of Finance, Kerry Duggan, Head of Human Resources and Sarah Price, Head of Legal. Given the nature of the complaints against DB it would appear DRB consider these folks were complicit in the alleged malpractice. But none of these sound Italian - did they pre-date DB Kimbers or did he bring them in?

The article is otherwise very positive, under the title "Lotus ready to motor as owners back expansion". Which can only be a good thing. Let's hope DRB reveal their plans soon.

All 3 had been there previously it is true. However several were within DB's "Confidants" so it doesn't suprise me.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Having 2 topics which have ended up discussing the same thing is now getting confusing.

This topic is now going back to it's original subject of Lotus in the UK. Any comments about the future operations of the company and not it's geography go in this thread...

http://www.thelotusf...he-post-db-era/

I've moved a few posts over and will lock this one for a day to give people a chance to get used to the new conversation location.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.