Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
MODIFIED SELECTOR EXTENSION SHAFT on rear of gearbox - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

MODIFIED SELECTOR EXTENSION SHAFT on rear of gearbox

Has anyone fitted this and is it worth doing. The support bearing is a little lose on mine so its either replace the bearing or bin it and replace the shaft.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 2 years later...

I just received an extension shaft I ordered from the UK.

Not quite the quality shown on the website (see lower image):

http://www.iinet.net.au/~b744er@ozemail.com.au/Lotus/shaft2.jpg

I got an extra one by mistake, but, needless to say, I won't be fitting either.

Seems to be a different material, has no finishing, already going rusty, etc...

Does anyone want a free one? :D

Edited by Qavion
  • Like 1

That surely looks like a sorry piece of gear...

How on Earth someone would put their name on having made that and even sell it, is beyond me..

But I would like to ask anyhow: what is this supposed to do?

Cheers,

Jaques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• Gold FFM

How much did they pay you to take those Ian? They're truly terrible.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

But I would like to ask anyhow: what is this supposed to do?

Jacques, on older Stevens cars, the rod which connects the gearbox to your gearchange translator mechanism is partially supported by a bearing/bracket which needs regular lubrication. Sometimes the rod jams inside the bearing. The modification removes the bearing/bracket and substitutes a more robust rod.

http://www.iinet.net.au/~b744er@ozemail.com.au/Lotus/translatorSE.jpg

How much did they pay you to take those Ian? They're truly terrible

LOL. Needless to say, Michael, I didn't send the second one back to it's origin by expensive registered post :P

Edited by Qavion

The thicker shaft doesn't flex during gearchange which eliminates the need for the support - so I'd say the thicker shaft is superior in all instances - one fewer part to service and keep lubricated, and less flex to boot. It's a no brainer. Thankfully mine was already fitted with it.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

I'm can't really see the physics behind it. The standard shaft is still pretty thick. I don't see it bending under any circumstances. The new type shaft seems to shift all the load to the gearbox bearing.

I agree on the lubrication part, but my car isn't subjected to the weather/road conditions you guys would experience.

• 4 weeks later...

hi,

200 k miles ago i changed the support bearing of the selector schaft

put stainless steel on the schaft, and an bigger support bearing, more material = more stability i think

working outstanding .

greetings  sietse // holland

versas10.jpg

Edited by bullit