Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
beginning the body work - Page 4 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

beginning the body work

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well wheels are done. i was abit pushed for time (they could have been a bit better) but all the imperfections are mine.wheels are a bit darker but not too much as i think they loose their look if they are too dark against a dark car.

off on holiday for a week or so then will look at getting the s4 mot'ed

20121019_113817.jpg

20121019_113949.jpg

Edited by mr.oogieboogie

It's Oogies turn to boogie

• 2 weeks later...

well after looking at the fans the other day with Derek a.k.a. sailorbob. all 3 fan fuses had blown. so they were replaced but on testing there was smoke coming from the fuse box and the fuses went again. Derek had a spare set of fans which he brought down this evening. once i removed the 1st fan it was obvious that they were siezed as they would not spin easily which the ones Derek brought do.I managed to take all three fans off without jacking the car up and put the replacements on. (these are the earlier 4 blade ones but fitted straight in with only a little bit of bending on the three supports (as the bodies are longer than on the later 5 blade ford fans). just need to tidy the wireing up tomorrow night and then see if i can track down the water leak once and for all

20121102_222523.jpg

20121102_222553.jpg

well i have been rubbing down the paint chips on the bonnet as there were quite a few craters, spent around 4 hours doing them each by hand so i should be able to apply paint into them tomorrow and then flat and polish before the weekend . also noticed one of the front fog light snot lighting up so i may have disturbed a wire when i did the fans the other day. so should look at that tomorrow

well i should be buffing the paint up tomorrow. all of the big chips and craters now flatted and filled with paint pretty time consumeing as i spent a further 3 hrs on them today but that was flatting down the paint i had applied yesterday and with some of these being deep they required a bit more paint. I took great care not to go through the laquer so once compounded and polished they should be almost invisiable.

20121107_144443.jpg

20121107_144448.jpg

20121107_144455.jpg

20121107_144503.jpg

• 1 month later...

well my headlights arrived thge other day. good delivery service from pnm. so i put the light son and marked where they shone on the wall, then turned off the lights and disconneted the bar that pushes the light pods up. off with the light cover. then greeted by much rust on the passenger side lights. twist the manky and rusted headlight outer rings os the lights come free,then grinder out grind off the 8 rivet tops then tap them through. outer light stainless steel bracket re-rivited on. but there is some moving and grinding and drilling to do on the mainbeam side (both brackets are the same in the kit I got so its not a straight bolt on as the new bracket will not fit into the holes in the pod)otherwise the headlamp cover will not fit on.

The drivers side was a lot easier to remove as once the headlight cover was removed the lights were so rusty that the glass fell off. still made it easier.

pics below. I only have the main beam on the drivers side to fit as I ran out of time.

20121223_122115.jpg

20121223_124031.jpg

20121223_124021.jpg

20121223_134626.jpg

20121223_145214.jpg

20121223_160306.jpg

right well the p.a.s. pipes are now undersealed. managed to get the car out of the unit and warm it up. should have the m.o.t. on the 5th of Jan. noticed that the drivers side wing mirror is not moving, im pretty sure there are x 2 settings as all im seeing is the rear wing qtr panel on the car, but I did not want to force it as it felt like it would snap. small video link below

http://s1005.photobucket.com/albums/af176/oogieboogie1/lotus%20esprit%20restoration/?action=view&current=20121229_153629.mp4

Edited by mr.oogieboogie

well i'm going to look at the drivers side door mirror tomorrow afternoon, as the top body moves but not far enough, so im wondering if the spring clip has stuck inside as the door mirror moves fine towards the car but does not come out far enough for me to be able to see what is on the outside of me (the glass and motor work fine)i'm thinkigh that because the mirror has been folded in for months its got stiff. any ideas on the best way to get in to it. I'm thinking move the black plastic cover and loosen the screw off, but is it the grub screw that holds it in position or just holds it on?

Hi Peter

The grub screw holds the bracket onto the part mounted on the door. The top of the bracket has a couple of notches in which a strong leaf spring ratches. In order to get the whole thing from the car you have to remove the mirrorglass and disconnect the wires to the heating element and the plug for the motor.

post-721-0-43725200-1356951719.jpg

Tower shape bracket, the bottom has the hole for the grub screw, the top has the teeth.

post-721-0-44191700-1356952159.jpg

Spring modification, originally the spring is riveted to the aluminum body. (mine broke)

post-721-0-83282100-1356951718.jpg

To prevent the mirror from creeping down (normally the black bracket is held in place by double sided adhesive only) I glued it into place with some 2 component glue. Before glueing (red arrows) i removed the adhesive tape (watch out for the traces on the heating element). The blue arrows are the 4 locking holes which connect to the motor meachanism. The yellow arrow is the notch which operates the locking ring for removal / fitting of the mirror onto the motor.

Cleaning and some grease onto the ratchet mechanism works like a dream (I had the same problem).

Happy new year,

Freek

Esprit Freak

well I took the grub screw off so the whole top section of the door mirror could be moved and then sprayed a bit of wd40 up teh inside. re-attached and it now works fine. a 5min job that took 5mins. now needs a good run on the way to the m.o.t. station for next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Well cant drive the car due to the snow so im getting the paint and stuff ready to spray the glassfibre roof when it arrives hopeing itcwill be here for next weekend. should be a mask off sand. Prime then paint and laquer. Will post pics when doing

nice to share the blame ...and the snow....at least it was sunny when i moted it so go an 16 mile round trip in it. apart from that its only moved in and out the garage a couple of times. good to hear yours is on the road. although i would not reccomend them in snow and ice been ther,e exciting though