Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Another code 26 problem - Page 2 - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Another code 26 problem

My car has no A/C (have you seen how much a A/C pump weighs) so no Throttle Jack and the GT3 has no EBV so that removes them from the equation. Really must get Espritmon sorted so I can get some data on a run.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alternatively ade get the car down to Northampton and have an hour on the rolling road. Itll save all the.guess work and would pinpoint any running issues...im sure.Dave would/has mentioned this. Dave will be taking his customers esprit down at somepoint to get tuned, and I certainly wouldnt mind another run up on it now.ive sorted through the rest of the little niggles to see.if ive.managed to make the other side of 300bhp this time..group outing?!

• Gold FFM

Ade, have you changed the check light bulb? Wild idea, but maybe some weird resistance issue...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

i had code 26, replaced everything to no avail. started checking all wire harnesses, traced back wires from ECU to relays in trunk to discover they were not in the order shown in the manual. i had been replacing the wrong relays....

replaced the correct ones and problem solved

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

As It's a bank holiday weekend and to commemorate the 1st anniversary of the CEL coming on  I have decided to have another crack at sorting it.  I have finally got Espritmon working so have established that it is a quad B issue, so taking into account the fact the car has no A/C and no throttle jack that narrows it down to secondary injectors or RPM relay.  So if I use Espritmon to activate the relay and I disconnect the secondary injectors and put a multimeter across the terminals should i get a reading, and if so what should it be?

What are the symptoms of an RPM relay problem.

Ok bit further on.  I have established the RPM relay is working, so it now looks like the secondary injectors are the issue.  using Espritmon should I hear the solenoid click when I activate it using the "E" function because I can't?   I have checked the voltage on the relay block coming into the solenoid and one side I am getting 13.3 volts on the other nothing, not being an autoelectrician I'm not sure if that is right or not.  Just so I can make sure that the contacts are ok how do i remove the spade connectors from the block so I can connect them direct to the solenoid?

Lastly how can I check the solenoid on the bench to see if it is knackered?

Hi Adrian,

A couple of questions, was the AC removed from the car or did it come from the factory without an AC. Furthermore is the relay which controls the the TJ / EBV solenoid still in place and working ??

Freek

Esprit Freak

Hi Freek,

Car had no A?C from the factory, and the TJ/EBV solenoid is in place as is the the A/C one for that matter.  In fact all relays solenoids are in position as per the revised wiring/relay specs for S4/S4s/GT3.

Ade

Edited by gasmangt3

If the car has no AC from factory then it is properly disabled ie not causing a 26B Error.

The relays drive the solenoids, so if the solenoids are bad they can not cause an error 26, the relays do however.

The secondary injectors are being driven directly (without a relay) by the ECU).

I noticed a remark in the EMH manual that a code 26B is always displayed on the TECH 1 with the engine not running, so most likely it will also show up on Espritmon.

Just to summarize your Error 26B:

RPM relay- Already tested and working

AC control relay - AC not installed from factory

Engine overheat relay - tested???

TJ relay - tested???

2nd Injectors - tested?? (should be tested / checked with an test light)

did you check the Engine over heat relay and the TJ relay and the 2nd Injectors with Espritmon?

Freek

Esprit Freak

Hi Freek,

RPM relay is tested and working, as are the other relays, using the E function in Espritmon.  I have checked resistance of the injectors and both are showing 16ohm's as per specs.  When Im testing the wiring with a test light, do I earth one side of the light and proble the contacts with the other or do I bridge the two contacts with the light?  Sorry if this seems a daft question but I'm on a steep learning curve with the electrics, I like to see broken bits so I know what to repair.

I know that the relays are supposed to click when you test them, which they do but does the secondary injector solenoid click when it's activated? Because if it is, it dont.

One last thing as there is no A/C, EBV, or TJ can I just remove the relays?

Ade

Hi Adrian,

when testing the 2nd injectors with the testlight bridge the contacts of the connector with the testlight. (disconnect the connectors from the 2nd Injectors).

Leave the various relays in place, otherwise the ECU thinks something is wrong and triggers a fault code (Error 26).

The 2 Injectors (as well as the primaty injectors) are being driven directly by the ECU without the use of a relay or solenoid, so no clicking. Maybe the "clicking" of the injectors can be heard with a engine stethoscoop.

Does your code 26B show up when driving or only when the ignition key is on and the engine is not running??

Freek

Esprit Freak

Thanks Freek,

When should the test lamp light, when I activate secondary injectors in Espritmon?   Question is then what does the secondary injector solenoid/relay do?  One side of the wiring for it goes to the fuel injection relay, the other to the ECU.

As for when the code 26 shows, the CEL comes on approx 20 seconds after starting the engine, which is in line with the diagnostic notes for code 26 in the EMH manual, indicating an open or grounded circuit.  every time I do something to tray an rectify the problem I reset the fault code.

I assume to replicate the Tech 1 field service mode you use the E function in Espritmon?

The testlight should light when you activate the 2nd Injectors in espritmon.

The Fuel pump relay controls the power (+12V) to the fuel pump, primary and secondary Injectors. The relay is controlled by the ECU. (EMH.4 page 4)

When the ECU commands the injectors to open the ECU completes the electrical circuit to ground.

Did you check the ballast resistor which is connected in series with the 2nd Injectors, as far as I know the resistance should be around 3.3 Ohm

There is no injector solenoid/relay, the injectors are being driven by a MOSFET transistor.

Field Service Mode is a special mode where the CEL light indicates if the engine is running in Open loop or Closed loop and when in Closed loop the CEL indicates if the engine running rich or lean. Furthermore no new error codes are stored. (EMH.1 page 10)

The way i read the code 26 diagnostics in the EMH manual is that the field service mode is only used to check if the CEL(s) is/are operating correctly.

So the Tech 1 Field is not the same as the E function (ECU mode 4) in Espritmon, however you can use the e function to test the CEL light. (yours is working)

Maybe a long shot but did you ever replace the CEL bulb? (and used a correct one ??) (my SE has 2 CEL's)

Freek

CEL = Check Engine Light

Esprit Freak

Thanks Freek, thats a great help.  Where is the balance resistor for the secondary injectors?  did not know there was one.

Do you know what the resistance should be across the secondary injector solenoid?

Ive made myself a little test light, and as soon as it stops raining I'm going to try the diagnostics again.  I'll let you know how I get on.

By the way my GT3 only has one CEL and the bulb has never been changed.

I reckon your ballast resistor is located on the rear fuse / relay box, I couldn't find it in the GT3 parts manual. If you can't find it will be a follow the wires game starting from the injectors.

Tracing the wires is also a great oppertunity to check them visually to see if there are no bad  / loose contacts, chaffing damage etc. (I know it is a lousy tedious job). Bad wiring (shorts / cuts etc.) can be a cause for the code 26.

The injector circuit is complety solid state electronics (only one exemption: the fuel pump relay which switches the +12V to the injectors) so no 2nd Inj. solenoid.

Just a couple suggestions:

Are your relays from Lucas (not so good ones) or Bosch / Hella ones??

Have you tried swapping multiple ones ??

Did you check if the spade teminals in the relay sockets are clean / not corroded etc and if they still have a tight fit on the relay pins ??

Esprit Freak