Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus in the post DB era - Page 28 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus in the post DB era

Kimbers,

It has a MASSIVE open grill all around the glass, it had that in Geneve!

I think the rear boot panel looks very different to the demo car we drove a few months back, even the grill/mesh looks larger. It could be the angle of the photo so I do stand to be corrected/shot!!

I thought that, made me wonder how good the Evora's cooling was... an hour spent averaging 10mph on the M25 put pay to any concerns in that dept, the temperature never moved! It seems there's more vents and grills on the back of the Exige than the Evora too.

Surferphils picture "Exige" is the previous Cup 260 not the V6

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

Guest surferphil

I hope you don't get shot Darryl. :huh:

Compared to the Exige S the V6 grille has similar surface area and the glass lets heat radiate through, there's no heat shield under the glass is there?

There are vents in the back too.

It looks like one of the coolest engine bays lotus have built to me (in more ways than one). This is the concept car I believe.

Lotus-Exige-S-V6.jpg

It's soo lovely!

Edited by surferphil

Surferphils picture "Exige" is the previous Cup 260 not the V6

Er.... yeah, thanks, erm... I'd spotted that one before I posted! :cheers:

Seriously though, the Exige S is packed with grills, far more than the Evora, same engine... no probs. Be interesting to see both engine bays side by side, is the Exige really that much smaller at the back?

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

This discussion is degrading more and more, obviously lacking any understanding of engineering.

Even if the Exige S has a thermal problem it will definitively not have anything to do with the general heat development within the engine bay. Heat development is much more critical at certain hot spots where high heat components may affect neighboring parts.

For example the Evora has a least three hot spot issues that have caused problems:

• There was a service bulletin about installing a heat shield around the clutch oil pipe within the engine becauseclutch fluid could boil
  • Also well known are the shift cables, where the hot exhaust heats the cable shield, which then shortens and stiffens
  • The recent recall related to the VTT-pipe is apparently alsos heat related.

None of these have anything to do with the size of the vents. Its all related to the close quarters within the engine bay and the fact that there may be only centmeters between the hottest part (exhaust manifold) and any other temperatrue sensitive pieces.

It all generally easy to fix, but it does take some time to get it right.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Engineering? That's the grubby bits at each end right? No... I haven't a clue, I just drive 'em. I'm not too bad on the technical stuff though, I worked out how to put my heated seats on without even reading the book, same goes for the petrol filler.... although I think I actually looked that one up! :smoke:

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

Guest surferphil

Engineering? That's the grubby bits at each end right? No... I haven't a clue, I just drive 'em. I'm not too bad on the technical stuff though, I worked out how to put my heated seats on without even reading the book, same goes for the petrol filler.... although I think I actually looked that one up! :smoke:

I hope you weren't wearing those shades and smoking that cigarette whist operating on the filler cap! Although the shades may seem like they will offer protection, they may in fact hinder your ability to read the instructions. :secret:

I thought about a rebuttal. Frankly, can't be bothered.

Sorry for aiming my rant at you, Michael, I shouldn’t have because I have read it elsewhere like the playground, Pistonheads et al. To be honest, I come on TLF to get away from the ill informed speculation. In hindsight maybe I should have aimed it at Kimbers. ;)

To reiterate, there aren’t issues with the cooling on the Exige S. Just comparing the pre-production/show car to the production version you can see there have been no changes to the bodywork (i.e no additional venting etc) or mechanicals to suggest this. The Cup Exige (essentially a motorsport derived version not known for its sympathy to a car’s cooling system) simply uses the standard production set up. Also, the mule car which has been running since MJK’s time ran with the smaller S2 Exige body, do you think Lotus would only have noticed an issue now?

Not sure why Lotus are letting people continually speak of the cooling issues if they don't exist??

Obviously the guys at the factory Kimbers is talking too don't really care for the cars they are trying to build so they can be sold so they can get paid, cos Kimbers is not going to come on the largest Lotus forum and tell us all that there is an issue so we wont buy probably the most anticipated and important new Lotus for a few years; especially as Lotus don't really need the money.

Kimbers think you need to spill the beans and reveal the real reason why Lotus have delayed production?

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

ap3_1567073a.jpg

Zee solution is most obvious...

waring-snowcone-maker.jpg

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Guest surferphil

If you want to believe conjecture and speculation as if it were fact then that's up to you, but any fact has a source and a basis, neither of which are present in this article. If Honda want engineering support they can buy it, Honda offer no more to Lotus than Toyota can, they can probably offer less.

Proton was built on re manufacturing Mitsubishi cars with the help of Lotus engineering. The only benefit I can see is between Proton who offer a facility out side Japan and Honda can replace Mitsubishi as a platform and proven technology source.

It's called skiddmark for a reason.

It's called skiddmark for a reason.

Being involved in the fringes of automotive journalism and having worked with this site, I can vouch for their integrity, levels of research and solid insight into the industry. I could rip the piss out of many other well known titles but Steve Davies really does know his stuff, and really does look very deeply into his subjects. He's also very well connected to the highest levels.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Guest surferphil

Why does he not publish his sources, it reads like hearsay and I cannot take the way it is written seriously.

People often say they are well connected and have unique access but I rarely see this as the case and without being accompanied by a deliberate press realise or PR stunt what company would want uncontrolled, detrimental information leaking out to the press. PR managers are employed to stop that and control the press. If he did that to my company I'd cut his ties immediately.

If it is the case that this is not speculation, then the Esprit has been cancelled. That is what lotus have told him?

Where I grew up a Skidd mark a brown stain in your pants! :cry:

Edited by surferphil

Speaking of ersatz automotive journalists, what does Joe Seaweed have to say about all this? Haven't heard much from him lately.

Not to be too combative, Phil, but I have generally been impressed with Steve Davies commentary overall. He just seems to make sense, and has a way of clarifying things better than most. If he doesn't know what he's talking about, he does an exemplary job of disguising it. :D

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

If it is the case that this is not speculation, then the Esprit has been cancelled. That is what lotus have told him?

He said 'more than likely to be canned', he didn't say it's been cancelled - those are your words.

I admit, he's not a million miles away but if you're 'nearly dead' you're not 'yet dead' are you. Big difference for a little change.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.