Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
From S3 Turbo look a like back to a S2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

From S3 Turbo look a like back to a S2

Hi,

This is my S2 that I have managed to get to look like a S2 after a previous life as a S3 Turbo look a like. I say that I have managed the project, as most of the work has been done by people with skills that I´ll never have.

This where we started

http://koti.mbnet.fi/skote/Lotus/Esprit.html

The S2 bits came from Lotusbits. Mike has been an invaluable help from the start. He´s been even good for road side assistance, when I broke down on a way to a car show (http://youtu.be/-P_wJ_s5aMo) . Eyeball products from Orivesi, Finland did the fiberglass work. I couldn´t have been happier with them. Excellent communications, and flawless work.

This video shows where we are today

http://www.facebook.com/www.sua.fi#!/www.sua.fi/posts/269035446535673?notif_t=like

-Jani

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

This is my S2 that I have managed to get to look like a S2 after a previous life as a S3 Turbo look a like. I say that I have managed the project, as most of the work has been done by people with skills that I´ll never have.

This where we started

http://koti.mbnet.fi...tus/Esprit.html

The S2 bits came from Lotusbits. Mike has been an invaluable help from the start. He´s been even good for road side assistance, when I broke down on a way to a car show (

) . Eyeball products from Orivesi, Finland did the fiberglass work. I couldn´t have been happier with them. Excellent communications, and flawless work.

This video shows where we are today

http://www.facebook....73?notif_t=like

-Jani

fantastic!! i would love to do that to my S3. how did u get the 4 bolt speedlines on the 5 lug hub? was it an early dry sump turbo?

cheers

pp

• Like 1

pp,

The car is a S2 that was modified to look like aS3 turbo. They did not chage the hubs, so the car was a frankenturbolook with turbo body, and speedlines. Here´s the latest version of the video, with RC-chopper footage.

http://youtu.be/emOP0m9Af98

• 3 weeks later...

i guess i was excited and confused since i still see the normally aspirated S3 rocker sills on the car.

cheers

pp

You´ve got a good eye.. It has S3 sills, as S2 sills are pretty hard to come by. The S3 sills are probably better at keeping the side of the car cleaner...

At least that´s my excuse for not finding the S2 sills :smoke: .

• 11 months later...

Ok, here we go...

I am planning to change my Esprit from RHD to LHD. I have the LHD steering rack, heater cables, windshield wiper arm, steering column and the steering rack. The rest will be modified from the RHD parts (dash, support beam, etc.). I started dismantling on saturday. This is how it looked like on sunday:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=674325232596714&set=a.666833640012540.1073741825.100000577308738&type=1&theater&notif_t=photo_comment

I just managed to get off the four bolts locating pedal box.

Edited by Finlandese

I have to say that so far the project has been far easier than I have expected. Í am sure that I´ll jinx it by saying so... My luck has a lot to do with the fact that the car has been dismantled once in the past decade, so no rusted stuck bolts for me!

Steering rack and pedal box is off. emergency brakes, body/chassis bolts and grounding bolts next..

Edited by Finlandese

• 1 month later...

After a long break took the body off this weekend. Did not take the front suspesion bolts off, as adjusting the body´s location with a crowbar while lifting was enough to clear the body. Next step is to double the lifting heigh (and widening it) and roll off the chassis.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=704670839562153&set=a.666833640012540.1073741825.100000577308738&type=1&theater

Thanks!

Today we took off the chassis.

https://www.facebook.com/jani.hottola/media_set?set=a.708072895888614.1073741826.100000577308738&type=3

Chassis looks rust free, which is not that suprising, since the previous owner had the chassis off in the noughties.

Edited by Finlandese

Parts to get:

Lotusbits exhaust system.

Engine mounts

Timing belt and tensioner kit

Camshaft carrier seals (leaking ATM)

Every coolant hose that would be PIA to change when the body is back on chassis.

Pre cautionary water pump overhaul

Sound deadning material to replace the foan the PO had used.

Edited by Finlandese

Can´t edit the first post, which has a dead link. Here is the current one:

http://www.eyeballproducts.com/Lotus/Esprit.html

From RHD Frankenturbo replica on a way to LHD S2.2 HC something..

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a quote for a full re trim in black leather. Not cheap...

Then again, this car has been designed arguably by the best car designer and the best car concept engineer ever. It deserves the best..

-Jani

• 2 weeks later...

Progress.. The pedalbox montings have been switched to the left side and the chassis is back in the home garage. Now it´s time to clean up the chassis and to start replacing engine hoses, mounts, install the new alternator, water pump, etc.

Oh, and the minor issue of re-sealing the camshaft towers...

ej5o.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Finlandese
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just took off the cam carriers. Funnily enough I did not find any traces of any kind of sealant between the cam carriers and the head. Might explain the leakage...

• 3 weeks later...

Progress..

Valves adjusted, cam carriers sealed and timing belt changed.

54gf.jpg

The Lotusbits exhaust has arrived, and it+s a work of art..

i2lw.jpg

qryy.jpg

Before I can install it, I have to change the engine mounts. This was easier said that done. The PO has had a charming habit for bodges and there doesn´t seem to be much in common with the part that I took off from the car, and the ones I am supposed to install in it. Multiple mounting holes on both surfaces... Any hints on how these should be fitted?

jsrv.jpg

Had enough for tonight, so I will continue with removing the other mount tomorrow... Edited by Finlandese

Got the old mounts off finally. While installing the new one I learned about the existance of fine inch threads.. Fitted the exhaust side with a heat shield AND covered the mount heat protective material. Twice. We´ll see how it will work. Stared to install the Lotusbits exhaust, but noticed immediately, that the gear chage mechanism interferes with it. Called it a day and will modify it another day.

Mount with heat shield;

gr9n.jpg Lotus quality control works obviously in a higher plane that I can fathom. These bolts are all for the same purpose in my understanding (attching the engine mount bushing plate to the chassis). Quite a variety in lenghts, don´t you think? uxsv.jpg Edited by Finlandese

Well....

Started to install the exhaust, but ran into trouble with the third cylinder. Major interference with the lower chassis tube. :-(

It looks like I made a mistake with he engine mounts, and the engine sits too high. Question for anyone that can help: Which way around should the engine mounting rubber plates be installed? I am talking about the plates that are used to attach the rubber mounting to the chassis. The plate has four holes symmertically from left to right, but not from top to bottom. Mine were installed so that the hole with the bigger gap to the edge of the plate were on top. I am wondering should I have installed them the other way around, as this would lower the engine a bit.

Help!

-Jani 

I think the engine is too high not tilted enough towards the exhaust side. Does anyone have any photos of their engine mounts, so I could figure out what I´m doing wrong?

-Jani

• Gold FFM

Hey Jan, I have the lotus bits exhaust - it sounds fantastic in my opinion - so much better than the stock exhaust. I know that it was tricky to fit as it fits very closely. I would recommend you fit a heat shield to the chassis tubes itself where the exhaust runs close on the left of the engine as you look from the rear of the car (as it drops down from the manifold bit. Mine was cooking the paint and galvanising on the chassis as it sits very close. I would suggest some sort of fabric / flexible heat shield rather than just a piece of metal as mine vibrates a little which is annoying - it is just the metallic type you have near your engine mount. Also, I would be careful about the cam seals as the stainless exhaust runs hotter and oil dropping on the exhaust might have a higher tendency to ignite... (or at least it did on mine!)

Thank you for the comments.

Been in touch with Mike and we are trying to figure out what is the problem. As far as the cam carrier sealing goes, we just resealed the carriers with Loctite 518. The old sealant was pretty much gone..