Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus for Sale? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus for Sale?

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Is this a credible source?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/lotus-for-sale-why-volkswagen-isnt-interested/

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a speculative story, Pistonheads carried the same a few weeks back.

Everything is for sale, if the price is right although DRB have gone on record say that they're not actively looking for a buyer.

I'm sure I read somewhere that debt can be restructed and mitigated, 60+ years of history can't so Lotus is still an attractive proposition to some other companies.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Just another Motoring journalist playing with business news. Neither very credible regarding a potential sale, nor regarding an eventual VW interest. I'm quite sure they would be interested in Lotus Engineering and certainly take the carmaker with it.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Reading that VW would buy Lotus is getting somewhat tiresome. DRB biggest automotive client is VW that is a fact. VW being interested by DRB hicom production capacity in South East Asia is pretty much a no brainer. VW being interested in purchasing Proton is a clearly possibility as their goal appears to be global domination and production units as close as possible to their potential buyers and offsetting has much as possible of their investment on smaller OEM buying their tech (although they failed to do that with Suzuky).

Now part of Proton basket would be Lotus... And I'm sorry there's nothing particularly thrilling about seeing Lotus being purchased by that Behemoth.

Yes, Lotus engineering abilities are second to none but really when it comes to handling and general engineering the guys from Porsche are no pushover and the same could be said about Audi!

Other than that Lotus would just join an already ridiculous stable of supercar makers (Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti and yes, Audi ). Really with this stable is getting cramped even if the higher ups at VW are doing a fairly good job at keeping peace within the realm.

Lotus sharing tech with Porsche! Ok why not but then some buyers will think: "What's the point in buying a Lotus if it's as reliable as a german car really?"

I spoke to several people from Lotus and one from DRB-Hicom. Lotus is NOT for sale! Is my house for sale? No! But if someone came along and offered way over the top for it then it would be sold. As would Lotus.

Let's let DRB get on with running Lotus. I'm pretty happy it's in good hands and don't think they're in it for the very short term. They may sell it one day but not for the next 2-3 years me thinks.

But there won't be an Evora soft top!

No? I thought that the Evora soft top was a no brainer! Was the car not close to finishing its development?

I heard they had a working prototype but having a working prototype doesn't mean that you can make a production car out of it at least for now it seems!

My wife offered to put a deposit on one at Goodwood. They said nothing had been produced and it was very unlikely it ever would. My wife would buy one tomorrow if it was developed.

I spoke to Donato Coco at Goodwood and specifically asked the question if there would be an Evora Cabriolet. He said that they had a design for one but that he needed to put forward a business case for it's production to the new owners. he also said that there was an Esprit cabriolet designed :thumbsup:

Hopefully he is still employed by Lotus and is putting forward the case for the Evora Cabriolet to be produced.

For me the Evora Cabriolet is a no brainer as the logical development of this wonderful car however the price point of the current car would put the Cabrio into the high £70k low £80k and at that price point I don't think it would attract the volumes required to make it a viable proposition.

Lotus really needs to realign the current car's price point by bringing it down by around £10k to get them flying of the shelves but that would seriously damage the residuals for current owners.

I spoke to Donato Coco at Goodwood and specifically asked the question if there would be an Evora Cabriolet. He said that they had a design for one but that he needed to put forward a business case for it's production to the new owners. he also said that there was an Esprit cabriolet designed :thumbsup:

Hopefully he is still employed by Lotus and is putting forward the case for the Evora Cabriolet to be produced.

Seconded, I was there! And as our new friend Donato is featured in the press shots of the Exige V6 coming off the line, I assume he is still gainfully employed. Judging by his emotional investment in the new Esprit which was very apparent when we talking to him, I would hope that he wants to see the development through. Zimmermann to I hope....

Edited by hedgerley

Who told you that Martin please, do you remember their name?

I didn't but my wife said he was called Coco! As I've already said he said nothing had been designed but rough drawings were done. He was very sceptical it would happen.

As I'm sure you found out the guys upstairs on the stand were VERY candid and between them told us everything that has since been announced. I was at the Frankfurt show and at Paris when DBs ideas were made public. I asked what they would have at Paris as I might be going (I travel all over with work and sometimes manage to work flights out some can enjoy shows etc) and was told I'd 'see nothing I'd not seen before from Lotus - nothing at all - if that's what you're going for it might not be worth going'!

It was this candour that I really liked at Goodwood, the senior guys believed what that were saying and I sensed enthusiasm - which I didn't before.

I REALLY hope I'm wrong about the Evora cabriolet!! It could be awesome and we'd order one without a doubt.

• 2 months later...

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Is this a credible source?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/lotus-for-sale-why-volkswagen-isnt-interested/

Volkswagen announced this week that they would launch a new low cost brand to compete against Daccia et al. They are currently looking for manufacturing facilities in Asia.

Maybe, but just maybe Proton is back on their shopping list.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

• Gold FFM

DRB just bought Proton for Proton. I doubt they'd be looking to sell it.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 4 months later...

VW have stated Categorically, as Have their Parent company Porsche, that they will not be buying Lotus or any other Sports car maker as they have those T's Crossed with their own brands already.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

VW have stated Categorically, as Have their Parent company Porsche, that they will not be buying Lotus or any other Sports car maker as they have those T's Crossed with their own brands already.

Once again, its amazing how precise businesses are today in their PR.

I think there was never a question of VW buying Lotus Cars out of Proton or DRB. But, at the same time the above disclaimer is interesting for what is not ruled out:

• There is no denial that VW might buy all of Proton (or acquire a significant share). As a subsiduary Lotus would be part of that deal, though pissibly VW might have to sell Lotus for Anti-trust reasons.
  • There is no exclusion that VW might buy Lotus Engineering.

Not that I have seen any new rumours on any of these variants, but obviously (almost) anything is still possible.