Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Jacking points - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Jacking points

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

When I was on the Factory tour at Hethel last month I saw an Evora being fettled with both o/s wheels off the ground - it was supported mid sill on a 12"x12"x12" block of wood, no cameras allowed or I would have taken a pic.

Makes perfect sense if you can. From what I understand, the foam isn't the devil's work as tyre fitters will suggest, but it's not ideal to drive on a damaged tyre, foam or not.

I was thinking more of the TPMS valves, which if I remember rightly have to be replaced if you use the foam.

Should be identified by a blue sticker...

post-1-0-05643000-1348487497.jpg

Found them. Getting a normal jack under there is going to be interesting though - not a lot of ground clearance with a flat tyre.

I have problem getting my normal jack under the car. All I need is a slight lift at wheelarch as I slide it in. I have been trying to justify to myself one of the low rider jacks you see for this very problem. (All the lowered Saxo's must need them!)

However part of that is I have also found the jack marked the alloy underside with the semi cup shape. I therefore place thin plywood on the cup and has been much better. I never remember seeing any blue sticker, only a thin ribbed rubber square in the appropriate place fom memory (Offshore so can't check!)

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

driving on a wooden plank should give you enough clearance to fit the jack

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

I'd have thought the TPMS sensor was a sealed unit?

They may be a sealed unit, but once you put the foam in it may cover the pressure membrane. That would be the end of any monitoring.

Edited by TBD

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Precisely what I had in mind. Only need an extra inch to get the jack and a wood block under.

Spend a few pounds on a couple of decking squares, and drive onto these when you need to jack the car. They are large enough and stable enough to drive onto, and will raise the car sufficiently to get a jack underneath.

You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unwelcome season. 

Precisely what I had in mind. Only need an extra inch to get the jack and a wood block under.

A cheap and cheerful 1 tonne scissor jack fitted under quite easily with room for a wooden block to protect the underside. Shows how rigid the chassis is - jacking up on the one side almost lifted both front wheels clear of the ground.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A cheap and cheerful 1 tonne scissor jack fitted under quite easily with room for a wooden block to protect the underside. Shows how rigid the chassis is - jacking up on the one side almost lifted both front wheels clear of the ground.

Indeed. I've had all my wheels off to clean them properly, and discovered that either front jacking point will lift both front wheels, while either rear jacking point will lift both wheels on that side.

• 1 year later...

Jack the side of the car using the rear jack point, it will lift the whole side of the car so you can support the front.

If you are doing both sides you can jack the front up and both sides will lift, support the non jacked side but you can leave the other on the jack to take the strain off, but because it's so stiff if the jack fails it won't go anywhere anyway.

I tend to use half a dozen bricks topped with a 4inch bit of 4x2 as axle stands are too tall.

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

• 3 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Can a four point lift be used on the evora? Read jacking points look further back than an elise/Vx220 (which would be a good thing, as elise/vx fall off if the front wheels are removed)

Edited by JG220

Assume so as they will sit on the jacking points I have left mine for a week before supported only on the jacking points while the wheels were being refurbed.

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

• 7 months later...

What sorts of axle stands are people using - I don't fancy chaning a wheel with just a jack under there. My other cars have traditional metal sills, and the axle stands have U-shaped tops. I'm guessing I need something different to go under those aluminium pads on the jacking points...