19. Abu Dhabi

pete

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel has been excluded from Saturday’s qualifying results for the 2012 Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix after the stewards found his car did not have sufficient fuel onboard to comply with the rules on its return to parc ferme.

The German stopped out on track at the end of Q3, after being told over his radio to pull over at the side of the circuit following advice from engine supplier Renault. Vettel, who had qualified in third behind team mate Mark Webber and polesitter for McLaren Lewis Hamilton, is now expected to start from the pit lane.

Although, after a lengthy discussion, the FIA stewards accepted that Vettel had stopped due to reasons of ‘force majeure’, there wasn’t enough fuel in his RB8 to provide a one-litre sample in post-qualifying scrutineering, as required by the sport’s technical regulations.

“The stewards heard from the driver and team representatives and studied telemetry evidence that showed the reason why the car was stopped,” explained the FIA in a statement.

"The Stewards accepted the explanation and considered the incident as being a case of force majeure. However a report was received from the Technical Delegate that showed during post-qualifying scrutineering an insufficient quantity of fuel for sampling purposes.

"The Stewards determine that this is a breach of Article 6.6.2 of the FIA Formula One Technical Regulations and the Competitor is accordingly excluded from the results of the Qualifying Session. The Competitor is however allowed to start the race from the back of the grid."

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner added: "During the slow-down lap following the final run of Q3, Renault instructed to immediately stop Sebastian’s car on the circuit due to an issue with the fuel system.

"After speaking with the stewards, who accepted the situation of force majeure for technical reasons for the car to be stopped, unfortunately, for reasons yet to be fully understood, 850ml of the required one litre was pumped out of the car following post-race checks.

"As a result, the FIA has excluded Sebastian from qualifying and we will withdraw the car from Parc Ferme in order to investigate further. Therefore Sebastian will start from the pit lane for tomorrow’s race. We will need to make the most of Mark’s strong front-row grid position and Sebastian will have a busy evening ahead of him."

Click here to see the revised grid for Sunday’s Abu Dhabi round, following Vettel’s exclusion.

For tickets and travel to 2012 FORMULA 1 races, click here.

For FORMULA 1 and F1 team merchandise, click here.

YES! Congratulations Kimi! :cheers:

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

What a race! I was on the edge of my seat for this one. Shame Grosjean went out, he did a great job getting up to 5th after losing a tire at the start. And nicely done by Vettel to get 3rd from the back of the grid.

"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" - Kimi

'86 Lotus Esprit Turbo

I could not sit still the last couple of laps. Fantastic result for Kimi and Lotus F1.

Unbelievably great to see Lotus win a race again!

Kyle Kaulback

Outstanding race and you've got to love Kimi radio transmissions!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

• Gold FFM

That'd be right. It was on at midnight here, so I wasn't staying up with work the next day AND I didn't bother to tape it. :wallbash:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Great result and the radio chat was hilarious.

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

The 25 year wait was worth it. Another Great Race in one of the best F1 seasons I can remember.

Lovely podium interview by DC post race. I bet the BBC were cringing with a Sunday afternoon 3pm broadcasted live "sh1t" from Kimi followed within 60 seconds with a live "F##k" from Vettel lol.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Gold FFM

Still can't help thinking Rosberg accident will add fuel to the close the cockpit camps. Probably rightly as well. A few too many near decapitations happening,

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Outstanding. As usual, Kimi did it 'his way'.

Great to see Lotus on the top step again (the last one was in the US in 1987) but its interesting that the team and Group Lotus see this as their first win since 2008 (Japan), respecting the fact that this is/was Renault/Beneton/etc. and not Team Lotus. Which is exactly the right thing to do of course.

The timing could not have been better as Genii Capital are looking for additional minority investors for next year. I still live in hope that Lopez comes up with a scheme to re-unite Lotus F1 with Group Lotus. I believe Group Lotus still have an option to acquire up to 50% of the team over several tranches. I just hope Proton and DRB can come up with some financial jiggerypockery that can make this happen. Oh, and start producing cars in volume of course....

• Gold FFM

I've gotta ask. What happened with Webber and Grosjean AGAIN? Our media reported it as another coming together between the pair. We should start another F1 board for drivers most likely to get in a punchup by the end of the season. :hrhr:

I don't know how many times that is, but if you looked at the odds, I doubt you could predict the number of times in one season that two particular drivers would keep on contacting each other.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Unquestionably the most interesting race of the season. Edge of the seat action from start to finish. Several plot twists and a surprise ending to boot. It just doesn't get any better. Kudos to The Iceman and his entertaining straight-to-the-point radio transmissions. Can't wait to see the man and the team in person (even if from a hundred feet away) in two weeks at The Circuit of the Americas in Austin. Hell, I can't wait to see all the drivers and teams. Couldn't ask for a better set of circumstances for the reintroduction of F1 in the U.S.

You heard it here first: There's no way every car is going to make it through the steep uphill, blind hard left-hander turn one intact at COTA. But after that the overtake oportunities are endless. Wouldn't it be great if Kimi can christen the track with a back-to-back win. :D

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.