Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Clavis Gauge for free - V8 Timing Belts - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Clavis Gauge for free - V8 Timing Belts

Gav

Hi Guys - Thought I'ld let all you DIYers know about how to create a homemade clavis gauge for free - well sort of....

You'll need some kind of PC - preferably a laptop and a microphone with min response frequency below 100Hz - mine goes down to 20Hz.

You'll also need some computer knowledge... There is a software package called baudline and can be downloaded for free from www.baudline.com. This software will record the noise from the thumping the belt and will analyse the component frequencies in real time. You can go back over the recorded trace and see the waveforms etc. But the most important thing is that it will show the major frequency which is what you need to tension the belts. This is what the Clavis gauge does but in a nice to use package.

I checked the accuracy of the system using tuning forks and have now tensioned the belts. It worked well and the measurements taken varied +/- 1Hz. Car is back and running and all is going well.

The only other problem is that the software will only run under Linux but this is also freeware and can be loaded onto a PC as a second operating system. The PC will then dual boot either windows or Linux.

Hope this is of help to some of you.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I use the same setup except I use Tune!it 3.40 which runs under windows and works very well (I use it to tension the belt on a 4 banger). By the way I got the tip from another V8 owner here on the forum.

Freek

Edited by fjmuurling

Esprit Freak

• 7 months later...
i didn't want to mess with that, so i bought the gauge...

Mark,

Where did you purchase your clavis gauge and do you mind me asking how much did it cost, as I'm starting to prepare to change my cam belts on my 2002 V8. Any other infomation will be most greatfull.

Regards

Will

Will,

Send Mark a PM, just incase he doesn't see this thread, as it's a bit old.

kato.

i have mine for sale. used once.(sold the car). it was @1500 us, i'd let it go for $1000 us + shipping. i bought it from the U.K. distributor for klavis(germany).

Hello,

I use the same setup except I use Tune!it 3.40 which runs under windows and works very well (I use it to tension the belt on a 4 banger). By the way I got the tip from another V8 owner here on the forum.

Freek

Searching for Tune!it 3.40 in net but couldn't find it. Do you know the site? Also what type of Microphone needed?

Hello,

The Tune!it site: http://www.zeta.org.au/~dvolkmer/tuneit.html

I just checked and now the version number is 3.43.

The microphone I use is a good PC microphone from Trust (around 25 euro's). Make sure you buy one which has a starting frequency range at around 20 HZ.

See also this post: http://www.glcforum.com/esprit/forums/inde...=&pid=76244

Hope this helps,

Freek

Edited by fjmuurling

Esprit Freak

Hello,

The microphone I use is a good PC microphone from Trust (around 25 euro's). Make sure you buy one which has a starting frequency range at around 20 HZ.

Hope this helps,

Freek

Hi Guys

I used the above 'system'

Dead easy to use, good repeatability.

I checked my setup with a tuning fork at pitch 'A' 440hz, the system gave a reading of 440.5Hz -

Glyn

Hello,

Hope this helps,

Freek

Nice!thank you!!

OK sorry for the Newbie question but how does one go about getting a tune reading to adjust the belt?

Where do you put the microphone?

What do you use to hit the belt to generate a sound?

etc...

Thx

Phil

OK sorry for the Newbie question but how does one go about getting a tune reading to adjust the belt?

Where do you put the microphone?

What do you use to hit the belt to generate a sound?

etc...

Thx

Phil

When you start to use it you will soon see for yourself.

If the mic is too far away it doesnt pick up the vibration, if its too close it fouls the belt and changes the frequency massively. I hold it about 5mm away from the belt. You can see on the software the 'volume' that the mic is picking up.

I hold it between the inlet and exhaust cam pulleys at about mid distance. If you get too close to the pulley, again the frequency changes radically.

I tap the belt with a screwdriver handle close to the mic. If you tap too close to the pulleys again the frequency changes radically.

The 'sound' is more of a soft thud really. It doesnt 'sing'

I hope this makes sense.

Glyn

• 1 year later...
  • Gold FFM

hello all, as I'm no computing 'nerd' , i want to know how have i to install that 'tuneIT' ?? That sort of *read me* text did not help, as i don't know what VFR file means... .

Is there an other free/open software suitable for windows users out there !?

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• Gold FFM

OK, bud what i meant is that it looks like no 'stand alone' software. There is an note about an file/folder to copy it in ??

Where is that folder on an normal XP machine ?

OK, bud what i meant is that it looks like no 'stand alone' software. There is an note about an file/folder to copy it in ??

Where is that folder on an normal XP machine ?

• Gold FFM

i will try it an other time, as my machine tends to go down from time to time on install of software/system changes.

update: tried it, the other version i had before was just an Add-on type for my soundcard files. This seems to be an stand alone version , right !?

Lets test -Yes ! Program opened, quite happy now

30days left (i hope i can manage to putt all parts together until the counter stops the registry... . )

So thanks so far for the advice !!

This thread got me thinking, so just tried this myself for my 4 pot. Results very promising indeed, simply downloaded & used 'tune-it' with a PC microphone and tried hitting the cambelt between inlet cam & auxilliary with an assortment of tools. Results were completely consistent and returned between 107-109 Hz. Its the future!

cheers Steve

I used this system as well for mine, you must follow the factory specification on location of crank when setting. I checked mine at TDC for both sides after tensioning at the correct location and it made a big difference in tension, well over +/- tolerance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Just a question and maybe another possible option.

A normal acoustic guitar has the following frequencies 82 Hz, 110 Hz, 147 Hz, 196 Hz, 247 Hz, 330 Hz. Some electronic guitar tuners give a frequency readout as you tune up. Does anyone know whether it would be viable to use one of these to measure the belt tension? I don't doubt the accuracy of these. It's whether it could get close enough to the belt I suppose to 'hear' the vibration.

These things sell for under $50 here in Australia.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

That's the spirit, Mike. Serenade those suckers into submission! :devil:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• Gold FFM

The intent was not to play the guitar to the belt John. :devil: Though if it helps, why not I say? :D

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)