Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Boston Bombs - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Boston Bombs

rocket63

Yes but a Jury or Court has an option to apply the death penalty which has already been "morally authorised" by the State. The death penalty in various ostensibly different nations proceeds from legislation which in turn proceeds from an ideological basis broadly of the kind you describe and would seek - obviously it doesnt matter much whether the State in question is Communist (China) or Capitalist (USA) or Islamic (Iran) -all have the death penalty despite other very different views on the role of the State. In China and Iran particularly, many innocent lives have been lost because the authoritarian State with power to kill, was worshipped as a means to an end. 

As an opponent of the death penalty I think that is outright wrong and would say that the State has no right to "impose" that lack of moral limits to its power. As above, I think "revenge" in particular is not the role of a State. As to protection of the public/deterrence, so many of these incidents are suicide attacks that the issue is academic but as above,  I don`t think the State should have the right to take life unless in war. It should certainly detain an individual-if appropriate for the rest of his /her natural life, but further death arising from death is where a line in the sand should be drawn.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the drawbacks with the death penalty is that if you have already killed someone, you have nothing to loose evading arrest.

My personal view is that if it's wrong to take another live, then it's wrong. Difficult if it's your loved one, amognst the dead

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Gold FFM

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

11601_569803206385050_766771118_n.jpg

The man in the cowboy hat in this photo's name is Carlos Arredondo. Carlos was at the Boston Marathon with his wife handing out American flags to runners. He lo...st a son to a sniper bullet in Iraq in 2004 and a second son to suicide a few years later - a depression triggered by the death of his brother. Carlos now spends a significant amount of his time on peace activism and working with vets coming home from war and was at the Marathon to hand out flags and inspire people.

Carlos does not having any medical training but when the blast went off, he ran towards the danger, jumped two fences and found the now-famous man in the wheelchair on the ground, both his legs blown off, and suffering from severe shock and critical wounds. He got him into a wheelchair and pinched the man's artery closed with two of his fingers (you can see him doing so in the photo). Because of Carlos, this man is alive today, having had surgery earlier today to remove both of his legs.

This man is a hero and deserves recognition. This man who lost so much still threw himself into the frenzy of panic and saved another guy's life. That's Trill.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM

Well apparently two Russian brothers who have been in the US since they were children. One 26, now deceased after a shootout with police. The other, 19 years old, wounded, was captured after being discovered hiding in a boat. Now in custody in hospital.

The news here said they were still looking for three other men possibly involved.

They have also been linked to an Aussie who has become a muslim cleric here in Australia. You could find him on youtube no doubt, but it's not worth your time. i.e. Harry Potter movies are evil and women are totally to blame for being rape victims.

The father believes his sons are innocent and that the police have set them up. The mother thought there was nothing unusual about the 19 year old, several months ago, beginning to pray 5 times a day.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)