Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
ABS sensor's obsolete? - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

ABS sensor's obsolete?

Gasman GT3

I have a faulty front left ABS sensor on my GT3, so as usual went through SJ to order one, but I got an email back saying the could not fulfill my order and would get back to me.  I then emailed Paul Matty and got the following response,

Hello Adrian
The correct sensor for the left hand front wheel is now obsolete 
new from Lotus.
What we do in our workshop to get round the problem is to use the right hand
 switch, but this does need a modification doing to the hub . 
You will need to get a hole drilled and taped to make a new mounting hole for
 the bolt The switch costs £29.08 and we have them in stock.

Worrying, thats the pressure switch on the Delco that is not available and now ABS sensors are no longer available either.  Another simple jobs thats becoming complicated.

• Gold FFM

Yeah, I gave up in the end.  I had success sourcing them from both SJ and PNM last year - worth a try...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Adrian, you dont need to modify the hub at all. I successfully swapped my right and left sensors over previously when chasing a fault. It wasnt the sensors but the actual pickup ring on the hub. I merely put a new slot into my sensor casing allowing me to bolt the sensor on the opposite hub.

Doesn't sound good though eh? How long before the opposite side goes obsolete. I thought the Esprit at this time was a GM parts bin special, would Brian Angus be able to give any pointers as to a source vehicle?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Cheers Darren I will bear that in mind.

Worrying thing to me is we can get big metally bits remanufactured like manifolds, but what about the fiddly things such as electronic components?

I remember Brian giving a talk at an LEW meeting a few years ago and said that when Rover went bust so did a lot of their parts suppliers too, suppliers who also supplied Lotus.  He was worried about future parts supply for our cars, now so am I.

They'll be from a parts bin somewhere. May I suggest some good quality images get posted of the sensor, so we can trawl the net and find out where it comes from.

Good idea.  When the one from SJ arrives I will take a picture of it along with the one that comes out.  I agree I cannot believe that it was only for the Esprit, but worrying thing is if it was for something like a Rover, then we may be in the Poo

Ive previously searched for alternative suppliers for the sensors when I needed to buy one..so far no luck...all I came up with are sensors with a built on wiring loom...in terms of.GM or Delco units, however that doesnt mean theyre not out there..the pressure. Switch was originally a GE. Made item...so I may just not have all the right search parameters yet...they will be out there somewhere....if its to to with this braking system I cant let it defeat me!

If anyone can crack this mate it's you.  Hopefully my sensor will turn up today so I can get on with it.  Other worrying thing is my code 62 which is low accumulator pressure.  hope it is the accumulator and not the switch.

• 2 years later...