Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Clutch Slave Cylinder 97 GT3 - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Clutch Slave Cylinder 97 GT3

A mate of mine used to do the clutch hoses Jacques and sold quite a few on here. I can't for the life of me find the thread, but the hoses came in whatever colour you liked. You could effectively have a red covered braided clutch hose with full stainless fittings, that's what I'd sorted for a few people on here anyway.

Feel free to search on the forum for yourself, it was Pipelines Motorsport in Caerphilly who supplied them.

Here's a photo I found in my photo bucket of them

S6000456.jpg

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

Errr dude, not that it SHOULD matter, but your clutch hose is marked RHD? 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Hahaha, laugh all you like, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are differences in article numbers, hose lengths and penetrations in the bodywork for LHD. Stranger things have happened.  

Oh shit! So that's wh`y nothing fits? I thought my car was right hand drive, as I drive it with the right hand.

I actually called them and asked, and they said it's the right article. Also the number was wrongly stamped, but should be the right article. Anyway, I did use a bottle of fresh DOT4 from the left side of the shelf, so I really hope I did it correctly.

It did drive very well after a good looooong bleeding and repeated Again the day after.

Don't come with all those questions Guys, I really get in doubt if I actually didn't even buy an Esprit, but a muck-up of an american cross over, with that very high ground clearance, and the mixing of a terrible french cruiser, when I feel the overly soft suspension and look at the french sidemirrors...

Oh well, maybe I should get a real Landrover, since I just bought a clutch slave from it?

thinking, thinking, thinking,

jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Are you running stock suspension? I don't know what you're referencing but I find the SE to be pretty damned hard - especially compared to the V8. It'll never be anywhere as rigid as an Exige since the torsional stiffness of the backbone chassis is orders of magnitude lower.

The Esprit is a GT supercar - it's supposed to be a tiny bit more comfortable :)

As for the ground clearance...is yours matching the spec according to the workshop manual? Mine is pretty low. If it were any lower I'd have issues going around.

And wait till you've seen a normally aspirated S3 - that's a damn all terrain vehicle! Its got like half a meter of clearance!

Regarding the mirrors - same mirrors as on the Jaguar XJ220 :P Don't knock 'em!

ha ha Vanya ;) I was only joking!

But I will say this: I really like the mirrors (the CX ones). I think they are elegant, sporty and very well shaped.

The PO changed dampers, springs and bushes, and it Works very nicely. I just don't like it. And I found the same on other Esprits.

It's too soft for me, and I Loose control and agility. I get irritated when I have soft suspension. So I will change it as I wrote in another thread. I am looking into Öhlins and Nitron better models currently. I want something i can adjust on variable parameters.

The ground height is standars, though lifted slightly, because I added V8 Monoblocs. Still a very low car, and it's standard looking and driving from a suspension viewpoint.

I am collecting arms, Lotus red bushes etc, to give it a go later, when I have collected all I need, including arb bushes.

I wish there was a way to stiffen up the chassis so it will not Flex (as much). Not that i take it to extremes, but I would just like that. The Sport300 bracing looks great to me.

Surely the V8 Monobloc tires being wider and lower in profile, helped a Little bit. I suppose someone else will say it's a nice and quite firm car, but not me.

And the mirror was also use on a few other sports cars ;)

Currently I am focused on those tasks and weight saving, without loosing the original look and character. Let's call it oem+.

And it shall all be reversible Down to the smallest bolt.

I have changed my Corrado to surely be quite hard to drive in, and did the same on my old Golf. And still keep Wheels firmly on the ground. And I love them for it.

Personally I don't see the Esprit as a GT. More a sportscar. The Elite is a GT in my eyes.

If I should have a GT it would be an old Citroën SM, but they are climbing up and up.

Cheers,

jacques

• 3 months later...

I just replaced my clutch slave cylinder with the land Rover version. I didn't have the adapter so I had the thread on the nipple machined to the proper size. It took him a few minutes and done. I paid him 20$

Im not sure cost difference, but its an easy option with less threads to seal.

• 2 months later...

You will need an Army/Navy (AN) adaptor if you've got that Land Rover cylinder offa eBay. I actually have a spare or two if you want. Let me check the specs and give you a source in Sweden. Back in 10.

....and back:

http://www.btracing.se/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=370

EQ1/8" NPT hane till 3/8" UNF hane. RD1530

Finding that thing here gave me a headache.

Here's one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-3-3AN-Male-to-Male-Union-3-8-x-24-UNF-Stainless-Steel-Adapter-/380599690014?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item589d82631e

So for posterity and other poor bastards who are going to go through the pain of finding out exactly what threads they need:

AN -3 (3AN) Male to Male Union 3/8" x 24 UNF Stainless Steel Adapter

OK, I need a little help here...

I've just fitted an SJ braided clutch hose but discovered in the process that I need to replace my slave cylinder as mine is shot. Thanks to the good advice her I've ordered up one of the LR ones off ebay for £9.50

post-17537-0-54169500-1431890673.jpg

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Aargh...!!!!!!

I ordered one of the LR clutch slave cylinders and the adaptor hydraulic fitting via the ebay link in this thread. Both arrived this week and I've just found that the fitting is too short to reach the taper at the bottom of the connection in the slave cylinder. It's about 3mm too short so the nut section on the fitting just tightens against the back of the cylinder....

I'm no expert but I'm sure this can't be right?? Where do I go from here???

Don't know if it's any help to you, but if one uses a land rover aluminium slave cylinder, one must make up a new longer rod, to make it work. Cut the thread to suit the thread on the hose and it works.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Don't know if it's any help to you, but if one uses a land rover aluminium slave cylinder, one must make up a new longer rod, to make it work. Cut the thread to suit the thread on the hose and it works.

Jacques.

Not sure what you mean by a longer 'rod'?

the thin long metal pin between the actuaction arm and the clutch slave cylinder piston outlet. Must be adjusted in length, in general (to a certain length) but the push rod have to be longer, when using the land rover slave, as the position and thickness of the bolting points. Hope that explains it a bit more clear.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Thanks Jacques, I'll make sure I adjust the rod accordingly.

However the problem I have just now is connecting the hydraulic pipe because the adaptor recommended in an earlier post here doesn't actually fit the LR cylinder. The thread is ok but the adaptor isn't long enough to reach the bottom of the hole in the cylinder.

My guess is that the cylinder is designed to take a rigid pipe and union, which will be deeper. Looks like my best option is to make up a short fixed pipe that I can fit my braided hose end onto....

• Gold FFM

This is the reason I pay the premium and order from PNM. It comes with all the right fittings. £30-40 is a small price to pay to avoid hours of aggro.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I fitted a land rover slave and got the UNF fitting from a hydraulic hose place, works fine. £7.50 slave £1 for adapter.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I fitted a land rover slave and got the UNF fitting from a hydraulic hose place, works fine. £7.50 slave £1 for adapter.

Does your adaptor bottom out and seal against the taper in the cylinder? If it does it must be different to mine...

I'll have a look today for you today as the engine is out.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I'll have a look today for you today as the engine is out.

Thanks!

For now (may be permanent) I've made up a very short section of rigid pipe (about 3 ins) which allows me to use a longer male Union that the LR cylinder is designed for. At the other end of this I fitted a female Union that threads onto the braided hose fitting. Works well so may be permanent unless I decide to wrestle with it again...

• 7 years later...
On 17/05/2013 at 17:25, GordonMasson said:

Size was perfect but the thread on the input port was different from the old girling one which was on the car which i think is a Girling 54679183 (hard to read)

Mine's just leaked for the second time so I've got it off to replace.  Since I couldn't find a record anywhere I thought I'd add the number on the casting to this thread, I reckon it's Girling 64679183.

I've only one web result for that, not much information but a matching photo at least:

https://ccparts.nl/en/product/clutch-slave-cylinder-inl-7-16-20/

Clutch slave cylinder inl.7/16-20

LOTUS ESPRIT S2/S.2.2 00/1978 – 00/1988 – 1980-1982
LOTUS ESPRITE S3 1978-1985 – 1980-1982
TRIUMPH DOLOMITE 1850/SPRINT 00/1972 – 12/1981 – 1850 +sprint 1976-1978

I'm trying to avoid contemplating thread and rod changes from alternatives but losing hope! 🥲