Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
passenger vents useless; solution? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

passenger vents useless; solution?

Mine is a 1994 S4 and must say that the passenger air vents are useless except to blow air on the windshield! 

Has anyone come up with a mod as a better solution??

I was thinking of buying a couple gauge pods, cutting so only the top portion is left then attaching (non permanently so could be removed later) to the vents in hope of their redirecting air at least toward the vicinity of the passenger..

Something like this..

http://i6.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/13/de/8eb7_12.JPG

Thoughts on this or other solutions?

Never found this an issue Kenny, having said that I have never sat in the passenger seat before, it's normally the wife and she's asleep.

You could make a moc up to see if it works, I would first check all fresh air vent joints to see if there is any leakage.

Dave

My foot vents were useless on my old S4 so I sent it into the factory and they found they had come loose after a "home repair" and were blocked off. Defo worth investigating first before spending any money.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Are the vents redirecting air when you change the setting for where you'd like it to go?

If not, you've got a vacuum issue somewhere as the diverting flaps are vacuum activated. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Air flow/volume is fine. Frankly wouldn't matter if they blew air out at 100+ MPH though passenger might then at least get some bouncing off the windhshield!

Passenger side vents are not knee level.. they are on the angled dash, mine is a 1994 with airbags. There are two vents and both point damned near straight up. It is not airflow that is the issue.. it is the DIRECTION it is flowing

So, there are no round vents either side of the centre console on the S4.

Looking at my S3, it too has the top rectangular vents at either end of the dash but these have 2 controls - a round one at the front and another central sliding one to direct front to back. Sitting in the passenger seat, I can easily direct the flow from these top vents to my face/body. That would suggest that your vents are either missing this control or it is stuck/broken.

Post an image of the vent, that will help.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

No, on 1994 there are only two rectangular ones which face due North (up).

Below is link to pic, not my car but dash is identical in as far as the vents are concerned...

195320002_large.jpg

But presumably, you can adjust the direction of the flow?

Like this one?

Dash-vent.jpg

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Yes, but the angle if adjusted as much down (toward passenger seat) as possible from where air hits the windshield to where it hits maybe the sun visors! 

But presumably, you can adjust the direction of the flow?

Like this one?

Dash-vent.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Silly question, but are the vents on upside down or rather180 degrees out?

No.. they are not upside down or what not...

I found a solution. Bought a couple gauge pods like I posted about, cut in 1/2 basically with tabs. The tabs slide between the vent and the housing. They then redirect air so it actually can be felt by the passenger. Will post pics in a few days...

• 2 weeks later...
Found my solution..

After trying others came up with this, bought two gauge pods off ebay, alas only ones I could find which were not tear dropped shaped were in Australia. 

Got them and measured and cut in 1/2 with dremel then superglued some thin pieces of pliable plastic I stole from a bin storage drawer. The pieces I glued on slip between the movable vent and the sides and fit quite snugly. Prior to this had tested with curved wonked pieces of plastic just to see if it would improve air flow to the passenge and they do make a marked difference. No more air simply cooling the windshield!

While they dont look 100% factory they dont stick out like sore thumb either and are easily removed. Wife is happier too.. smile.gif

<sarcasm mode on> and to you smart asses suggestion igloo coolers, handheld fans I say PPPPHHHHTTTT<sarcasm mode off>

Looks much better in person not to mention my camera skills stink

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. $(KGrHqNHJEIE+W4wO0ljBP21yww97Q~~60_57.J   Report this image
Attached Images
250209d1372200556-hvac-vents-pretty-much 250217d1372200556-hvac-vents-pretty-much

I think the confusion was that in the UK there is one knee-level vent and one north pointing vent - I have a UK S4 and it is a different layout to the US spec one. Don't know why??