Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Electrical suppression ? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Electrical suppression ?

I have installed a car cam into the car and am getting electrical interference. The connector plugs into the cig. lighter, with the ignition on (not started) there is no problem, when started the noise starts.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order, AS THEY SHOULD BE !

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

I remember in the old days having to fit an ignition suppressor to the distributor to stop the annoying revving sound in the AM radio (remember those?)

Not sure what to do with your problem. Can you try and shield the camera in any way? Like a makeshift faraday cage earthed to the cars earth? Something to interrupt the electrical field from the cars electrics?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Mine had one of these fitted to the fuel pump when I got it which I think was for something similar.

post-1261-0-69808500-1371359977.jpg

Michael, I remember the same things. But it was so long ago and I dont even know if that sort of thing is still available/used.

I know those suppressors used to be when the noise matched the engine revving.

Mine is a fairly stable noise, more like constant static.

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order, AS THEY SHOULD BE !

Thanks Alex, can you buy suppressors which connect to the cig lighter ?

....and are you up early to go to Newlands now ?

• Gold FFM

I would think that to use a suppressor successfully, you will have to find the interference source. If you use the AM radio example, the suppressor was not on the radio supply. It was on the distributor itself.

You can start by putting a suppressor on the cig lighter, but I am not sure if that is going to eliminate the interference you get once the engine is started.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

A suppressor is a capacitor that allows AC to pass through to earth ( or ground,depends on your country's nomenclature!) but keeps the DC isolated. Some capacitors are good for high frequency and some better for low. A 3 microfarad from the alternator terminal to earth and a 1 microfarad from the coil +ve to earth wouldbe a good place to start. Belt and braces..you could run the camera power through something like this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10A-NOISE-SUPPRESSOR-FILTER-ELIMINATE-CAR-RADIO-NOISE-/330440858161

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

Erik, I had the same problem - mine sounded just like that, and I solved it with a bit of Blu-tac.  Sounds stupid, I know, but it was engine vibration making one of the gimbal clamps rattle slightly against the cam casing.  Not saying yours is the same problem, but if the noise is independent of engine speed...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Thanks Alex, can you buy suppressors which connect to the cig lighter ?

....and are you up early to go to Newlands now ?

newlands ???? no i didnt go was just up feeding the baby 

the problem is when you have an av source that feeds from the cig lighter its either on the ignition side of the alternator circuit or perm 12v feed from the battery to take large amounts of power therefore its what they call dirty electric meaning its not filtered or suppressed in anyway so you will pic up interference if its a cheaper item thats plugged in . maplin will have suppressors for you but you may have to remove the cig lighter holder and solder it in the other side