Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
sunday social - Page 3 - UK - London - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

sunday social

dodge1979

• Gold FFM

20130728_092115_zps52681e05.jpg

20130728_091859_zps1476671c.jpg

He's completely mad, you know.  Still, phwoooaaaarrrrr.

Lovely drive to meet acqaintances new and old.  Echoing Trev's words, a nice change not to be on the M25.

Edited by Sparky

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Dave,

Serious question. How much horsower do you think it takes to haul that lot around? That includes the rear splitter, bigger wheels and tyres, front splitter and all the engine add ons. Bet that

OT weighs a fair bit or have you saved weight elsewhere?

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

It'll be a rear diffuser or aerofoil, not splitter at the back of the car. Those wheels aren't the lightest wheels an Esprit has worn, but they're not that heavy. True, it's a decent addition (esp to unsprung) weight with the tyres all the same.

There might some info on weights etc here....

http://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/our-news/take-an-esprit-and-make-a-few-changes/

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Trevor...

Well it goes like this... I took a bit of weight out , and put a bit more in. so..

the end result when corner weight done, showed it 45 kilos heavier..uhmmmm.

However....It is a bit more slippery on body aero which is cancelled by down force

drag equivalent... No gains there ....but more contact traction available..

Overall the extra weight cost me 5% power to weight loss .

Total gains are 56% extra Bhp and 57% extra torque net p/w.

So one is still outweighed by other....(pun)

But as we all know it is a work in progress gathering data....

To answer your question it consumes 10.32 bhp net to push the extra's around...

The new rear diffuser not properly tested yet, I only finished fabrication sat night..

so it may vanish or change in design yet...hence no pic's.

My therapist thinks i have issue's ....uhmmm may need to make a change..  

Edited by CHANGES

Yeah, change your therapist as you're doing fine I reckon. That's te answer I was looking for, just interested in how much weight you added to get power too as I imagine that there is a formula that's says 1kg=?hp. My interest is also if I were to lighten a car by 50kg what would that be the equivelant to hp added? Slight thread drift I know:-)

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

• Gold FFM

Finally going on that diet?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Trevor

Bhp per ton is the datum used for comparison on inter-model power.

Performance is a different animal all together, being a combination of variables.

Weight being primary you need to consider where saving can be made..

The trick is to not compromise performance while doing this..

So by removing none structural weight such as interior parts, sound deadening

carpets, trim,etc, and replacing others in lighter materials ie. seats you can save

and maintain structural rigidity..

However once you have change the weight you will have compromised the handling

characteristics. The initial calculations for the spring and damper rates and general

geometry will all have been arrived at and tested based on the  original axle weights

and distribution. This will all in turn affect the dynamic weight transfer which gives

you the optimum grip under braking and acceleration.... Although there are equations

and formula's to help calculate these, it really come down to individual feel and testing

in the end, giving you the desired result.

SO.... when Lotus designed each model, its base weight was an influencing factor in

​the design criteria. Although they will have made it as light as possible initially.... weight

saving will have been sacrificed and added to give driver passenger comfort and the

feel good factor when driving .....

Conclusion....when you make one change in specification, be prepared to make others

and consider their influencing factors on the overall design package.... 

Answering your question, saving 50 kg's in weight is not just about added p/w ratio. 

As an example think how different your Esprit feels when a passenger is fitted... 

I know they are only small little changes but the all add up.....

Dave