Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Double DIN Stereo Fitting - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Double DIN Stereo Fitting

• Gold FFM

Guys, I'd like to fit a new stereo to my Esprit, 1990 SE. The existing stereo is a minidisc unit but now I'd like the benefits of more storage, connect my phone etc.

The stereo I'm thinking of is a double DIN affair and I know it won't fit in as standard. I've seen the article on LEW of a double din head unit, but the model of Esprit had a different dash. 

I'm not bothered about some modification, but would like to keep the heater control panel as standard or failing that, modernise it a bit.

Anybody have any info and or experience of fitting a double din unit to a SE dash?

Cheers,

Alan

Signature not working...

• Gold FFM

Cheers Ged, nice stereo! 

Looks like you modified the heater control panel as well? My panel is a bit bigger than the one you show. Did you make the panel?

Signature not working...

The heater panel is an S4 heater panel.

post-8786-0-77785100-1375135073.jpg

post-8786-0-30275600-1375135336.jpg

I drilled out the spot welds that hold the HVAC control knob bracket and re-welded the bracket and therefore HVAC control knobs at the bottom of the heater frame, thus giving enough room for the double DIN unit above. Simples!

• Gold FFM

Nice job!

My panel and surround is a bit different from yours; the heater panel is at the bottom and a bit bigger.

gearshift_01.jpg

Looking at the image above it's going to be tight. I'll measure it tomorrow, see if it's possible at all.

Signature not working...

Nice job!

My panel and surround is a bit different from yours; the heater panel is at the bottom and a bit bigger.

gearshift_01.jpg

Looking at the image above it's going to be tight. I'll measure it tomorrow, see if it's possible at all.

That is how mine started out. Mine was an 89 Turbo.

Cut out the heater control panel from the frame and bin it, cut out the thin piece that goes across above the single DIN radio aperture and bin it. Get an S4 heater control bracket and weld it in in place of your current one.

The heater panel is an S4 heater panel.

attachicon.gifheater panel 4.jpg

attachicon.gifheater panel 3.jpg

I drilled out the spot welds that hold the HVAC control knob bracket and re-welded the bracket and therefore HVAC control knobs at the bottom of the heater frame, thus giving enough room for the double DIN unit above. Simples!

Alan,

I still have the frame from an S4 in the above pics, unfortunately I don't think I have the heater control panel though.

• Gold FFM

Ged, I've been thinking of ways to modify the existing control panel or fabricate another, but I'd need a face plate too. I was also wondering if Alan Patterson's knobs were still available to modernise it. Hmm, where can I get the control panel and face plate from? Can't find it on SJ's site.

Travis, that is a nice stereo but I'd want a removable face as I'd be too worried when it wasn't parked in the garage. I've been considering the Sony XAV-601BT but still looking at options. I like the idea of leaving a USB hard drive insitu and connecting up the iphone whenever the need arises. I've watched a few youtube videos of the Pioneer you mention and it's pretty smartphone centric, but I do like the functionality and apps.

I wonder if it's possible without modifying the heater control panel. Been out to the garage for some quick measuring. A double din stereo is 100mm, so say another 4mm for the cage of the stereo to fit.

stereo_01.jpg

From the top of the heater control panel to the top of the frame I'd say there is 106mm available taking in to consideration the thickness of the metal. Of note, the existing single stereo opening is 53mm.

If the cage for a double din stereo is 103mm (don't know for sure) I think I'd get away with just trimming the metal frame at the top and just above the control panel. Then there is the leather frame that goes on top of this to contend with though.

Talking of control panels, no mention of turbo on mine and the font is very 80's :).

stereo_02.jpg

I wonder if the green tinge is just a coloured filter and could be replaced with a blue filter (or a few Quality Street wrappers).

Signature not working...

I wonder if the green tinge is just a coloured filter and could be replaced with a blue filter (or a few Quality Street wrappers).

If its like my 88 the whole pannel is 2mm of green plastic with the black printed on the front so you wuld probably need to remake it

Edited by mdw

• Gold FFM

Yes Paul, I wonder.........  :thumbsup:

You don't still have the original do you? Just in case Alan gets his act together.   :)

Moi? !

If its like my 88 the whole pannel is 2mm of green plastic with the black printed on the front so you wuld probably need to remake it

Now that you mention it, it's probably like that. Hopefully I'll be able to fit the stereo without modifying the heater control panel.

Signature not working...

THe Turbo version is also very 80's!  I thought about making a new one, but have not had the time

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Thanks for that, I may make a nice new one with a shiny front :)

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Gold FFM

Cheers for the pdf, it gives me an idea...

Firstly, does anyone know of a way of getting these made?

Failing that I was thinking of a high quality printout sandwiched between two 1mm pieces of acrylic.

I will need to modify the housing for the stereo as there is no chance it will fit as it is, pics to follow. 

Signature not working...

• Gold FFM

The picture below shows the panel trim of the stereo as it would be in place. It obviously doesn't fit as it is. Sorry for the fuzzyness, the camera focussed on the floor.

stereo_03.jpg

The cage of the stereo is much taller than I thought it would be at 110mm not including the folds at the front edges.

stereo_04.jpg

However I think I have found a way that I can keep the original heating control panel. The stereo head unit has holes for mounting it directly to some brackets rather than using the supplied cage.

stereo_05.jpg

With a bit of trimming to the existing framework and adding on some braces diagonally, with holes for screws, the stereo can be held in place.

stereo_06.jpg

It does mean the leather part of the fascia would have to be placed over the unit, so the only problem would that the two near windscreen wingnuts won't be able to be tightened as the stereo unit will prevent access. The leather would also need some fettling as the supplied panel trim thingy is too big to fit (it's meant to hide the cage which won't be fitted anyway). I'll do some cutting and see how I get on.

Edited by Mysterae

Signature not working...

Alan,

Why mess around with all that? Get yourself an S4 heater panel, then use the framework as I suggested earlier on!

That way all you need to do is adjust one part, rather than getting this made, getting that made, fettling this, changing that......

Ged

• Gold FFM

That's the thing, I can't find a S4 heater panel (it was a brief search of the usual places admittedly) and you mention welding which I don't have the facilities to do.

I think my method is a lot easier, keeps the existing control panel and will make nicking it a lot harder :). Mind you, the face of the stereo comes off so that serves as a deterrent anyway.

I'm about half way there :)

Signature not working...

I dont think that not tightening the 2 wing nuts will be an issue. I cant get to mine since my new stereo install and everything seems stable. Also, when I dismantled my car, there were the studs but no wingnuts.

Alan, if you look on ebay, there are people remanufacturing the fascia panels - they come up every so often - I wouldn't recognise an S4 one but you could contact them.

Also, would this be of any use?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ESPRIT-S4-HEATER-CONTROLS-LOTUS-HEATER-CONTROLS-ESPRIT-S4-ESPRIT-TURBO-/290953159670?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43be28e3f6

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

Ha ha! When was that listed? Typical... I searched ebay, honest. That specimen looks a bit mullared though and Edward Sissorhands was operating the controls :).

Cheers for the link anyway Simon, if I had found that earlier in the week I would have gone down that route as I could always get someone else to do the welding, would just take time.

Also, thanks for the info on the studs, I think a contortionist could get at the studs from underneath the footwell but I think it would then be a call to 999 to get back out!

As I've already butchered my panel and modified the leather surround a little, I'll continue on my method.

stereo_07.jpg

The frame is already cut, just haven't taken a picture of it yet. I find dremelling therapeutic :)

Signature not working...

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein