Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Crap.. Lost timing belt today while running... Now what? - Page 3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Crap.. Lost timing belt today while running... Now what?

Techspy

Well its in. There were a few WTF?? moments but all in all it went fairly smoothly. I need a few more parts but have plenty to do waiting on them. One thing for sure, it is a lot cleaner job putting it in than taking it out!

a6303689-117-IMG_1685%20-%20Copy.jpg

John
94 S4

I am not having a bad time with the hoses. Maybe because they are silicone?

As far as the gear, the only thing we can figure is that a tool was left on the engine and wore against the gear. It must have been during the few years I didn't own it. We thought about it being intentionally done but it wouldn't have helped anything. Plus, you can see if you look close that it isn't perfectly beveled. It is kinda rounded.

So the A/C compressor, alternator and power steering and associated belts are installed. I also have the hoses connected to the water pump but the big one was really close to the exhaust cam gear. I was able to put some pressure on it when I tightened the clamp and now have about 8mm of clearance. Is this correct? Take a look at the last 2 picts. Otherwise, just some more picts of the progress.

Oh, I ordered a set of drive shaft seals. Might as well replace them while I have the half shafts off. I have read a bit about installing them. Just need to be sure you don't scrape the metal when removing the old ones and be sure to get the new ones seated level and at the same depth as the originals. Anyone have any additional advice?

a6306184-196-IMG_1686.jpg

a6306185-37-IMG_1687.jpg

a6306189-185-IMG_1697.jpg

a6306186-135-IMG_1688.jpg

a6306187-56-IMG_1693.jpg

Edited by Techspy

John
94 S4

Almost done. Even got the wheels back on, connected the battery and sat inside a bit listening to some tunes. So, one last hose to install, fluids and a double and triple check on all connections, bolts etc. and I will be ready for a startup. I will wait to install the hatch after it passes the leak test and startup.

a6318071-49-IMG_1730-1%20-%20Copy.jpg

John
94 S4

Looks lovely, can't believe you didn't give the turbo to charge cooler hose a good scrub clean while it's so accessible.

Cheers,

John W

So what is the best way to disable the fuel pump? I can't seem to find anything that shows where the fuel pump switch is. I think the 2 inboard relays on the boot are the 2 relays but I am not sure. Can I just activate or unplug the inertial switch?

Thanks

John
94 S4

I left it as-is for now. If (when) it cracks through I will probably go with an aftermarket one.

So I have successfully primed/pressurized the fuel system and the chargecooler with no leaks! Filled the power steering resivour and have the battery on a tender. Once I replace the last hose tomorrow I will prime and start. I will leave it up on blocks for that so I can easily check for leaks. Weather looks like crap tomorrow so I doubt I will drive it until Wed even if all goes well tomorrow.

I had some time today to give her a good polish.

a6322809-225-IMG_1733%20-%20Copy.jpg

Edited by Techspy
  • Like 1

John
94 S4

Thanks Jim. I hope it goes as smooth at it looks tomorrow. Anyone have any good Lotus spells or rituals I can perform before hand? :)

By the way, are you Lotus-less now that you sold your S4s?

John
94 S4

Well she wont start. I verified I have spark and fuel pressure in the fuel rail. I got one very slight sputter but otherwise nothing. Can someone tell me how to verify the timing/cams? I have the green dot gears.

Ok, so to check the cam timing, I should get the crank lined up with TDC and then the 2 green dots should be aligned on the cam gears correct?

Here is a freescan log. I am a bit concerned because ti showed something like 75 degrees timing???

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B37345IyQ18wc000M0hwSGU3OFk/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks

Edited by Techspy

John
94 S4

looking from the back of the engine, toward the firewall, the intake cam is on the right of course, and the exhaust on the left.  

With the engine at TDC, the mark at 0 here (my engine was at 30 Before TDC in this photo), use a mirror.

IMG_4855.JPG

The intake cam should have a green dot aligned closest to the exhaust cam, and the exhaust should have a green dot aligned closest to the intake cam, like this.

IMG_4869.JPG

BUT NOTE: the intake Cam has "EX" stamped near the green dot, and the Exhaust cam has "IN" stamped near the green dot! This is correct when viewed from this angle.  

If viewed from the front of the engine, then the INTAKE cam would have "IN" near the dot, and the EXHAUST cam would have "EX" near the dot. Like this.

P4011849.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE