Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Alloy Motorsport Radiator Set For Esprit Turbo & V8 by Alunox - Site Sponsors & FFM Discounts - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Alloy Motorsport Radiator Set For Esprit Turbo & V8 by Alunox

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Mark,

I'm really interested in this as my radiator, condenser & coolers are all original and I am seeing electrolysis on my radiator. I have a leak in my aircon circuit which we have not been able to locate as yet due to not being able to isolate each component to check them all. May not be the condenser but who knows. If the radiator core is showing signs of electrolysis, good chance the others are as well.

Questions:

1) Will the original radiator fans fit onto the back of this setup?

2) Where does the supply and switching for the new oil cooler fans come from and do we need to upgrade a circuit?

3) What is shipping to Geelong, Victoria, Australia going to cost? :sick:

4) How will the 1 year warranty work over here? (or not?)

Edited by ramjet

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Fantastic looking piece of engineering, particularly like the oil cooler fans. Think im right when I say that copper is a better conductor of heat though.

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

Hi Ramjet,

1. The original fans won’t fit due to the fact the main rad is now set further back towards chassis , the new style fans aren’t that expensive, there a universal fit.
  2. Alunox suggest you buy a remote fan control unit and set to about 80 °C. I will find out the cost and create a wiring diagram if needed. For people with aftermarket ECU’s there is normally an output available for this control.
  3. I have Alunox getting me a price to ship set to Australia. I will report back when I get the price.
  4. On the warranty you would have to supply photographic evidence showing a manufacturing fault. If it can’t be diagnosed accurately using this method, it would have to be sent back. I’m afraid you would have to bare the shipping costs. All The radiators are pressure tested on a rig before signing off. The warrantee doesn’t cover any accidental damage such as stone collisions or bottoming out your under tray.

Yes Wayne good point, yes I believe copper does conduct better that aluminium. However the copper fins in the radiator are bonded to the brass tubes using lead solder which makes the overall heat transfer less efficient.

They used brass tubes to give the structure strength. Also brass is an alloy of copper which is not as good a conductor as aluminium. There are many factors in the design, the materials being one but also the bonding process verses the vacuum welding.

The other advantage of aluminium is the weight saving. It is also possible to have higher tube and fin densities in aluminium radiators. The proof of this has to be that all modern cars use aluminium radiators.

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Greg , thanks. The demo set is in the process of being fitted to my car, ran up for the first time today. I hope to road test soon. Here's a shot from underneath ,the fan layout being very similar to the original.

post-13397-0-25806100-1394745060_thumb.j

The Charge cooler pipes are all 19mm , we've ran it tight to the chassis dipping into the gap with body

post-13397-0-03944900-1394745112.jpg

The pipe run for the main rad is the same as the original but we have upgraded the tubes and fitted tighter bends.

post-13397-0-63931500-1394745160.jpg

I've fitted an electric water pump, a Davies Graig with has 19mm fittings as standard and is capable of 25L/m. Together with the new Charge Cooler Radiator set-up this should increase the efficiency of the charge cooler system. I hope to have some feedback on road test soon.

There has been some interest in the V8 charge cooler upgrade , Alunox need someone who is UK based to volunteer their V8 Esprit so final measurements of the Charge Cooler in the engine compartments can be taken. The volunteer would receive a discount on the rad set + Charge Cooler.

PM me if you might be interested.

Thanks,

Mark K

Edited by MarkKassim

Hi Travis, the new pipes are 19mm in diameter , the original ones are about 16mm . I've fitted a new electric pump, all pipework is now 19mm. I'm trying to get more fluid in the system and improve flow. The pump is rated at 25L/Min. I will let you know how this works out with the new rad set-up.

Mark

• Gold FFM

Mark,

Did you ever get a shipping price etc from Alunox?

Edited by ramjet

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Another questions Mark. Do the pipes have to be upgraded to 19mm? I am loathe to run pipes external to the backbone as per the standard.

The upgrade to 19mm does give you ~40% more cross section volume, but does the rest of the cooling system design in the engine, chargecooler support this?

A question for Alunox. Are they willing to licence their design to an Oz company if I can find someone that would make this here to avoid the freight costs?

Edited by ramjet

There will be no VAT on the shipping since it's destination is outside the EU.

What are the dimensions of the package and weight please Mark? I've got some very good shipping accounts and may be able to get a much better price than that. (We get 75% of rate prices with Fedex for example). 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

I was pretty sure the VAT didn't apply, but it is still a chunk of change for freight.

Hi Bibs, the dimensions of the box are 100cm x 60cm x 60cm and the weight is 30KG weight, the quote was by air.

Ramjet , the pipes don't have to be 19mm , Alunox would make it with the standard. All I would say is go with the 19mm and reduce down to the 16mm ,leaving the option to upgrade the rest of the system at a later date. You will just be increasing the volume in the system slightly which won't be a problem.

I will put the question about manufacturing under license to Alunox.

Mark K

All fittings remain the same, just slight modifications required to the oil cooler ducting to allow for larger core.

How would these slight modifications be achieved? Files? Hacksaws? Fibreglassing?

Is it a single step process? I wouldn't want to achieve this by trial and error (cutting bits out and trying to refit the parts whilst lying on my back).  :stuart: 

Thanks

Ian.

• Gold FFM

...the quote was by air.

Mark,

What would the quote be by sea? I am ok at the moment. It is not like I have to get these things here tomorrow.

Thanks

Edited by ramjet

Hi Ian, when you remove the ducting for the oil cooler , you just need to make a cut with a hacksaw in the rear ducting, the smaller one of the two. I put masking tape on and marked a line about 10mm in before cutting. The ducting comes off you you can do this on the bench. All it does is allow for the extra width of the new oil cooler. I can provide more photos if needed.

Ramjet I will try and find out if we can get a price by shipping. Bibs feel free if you have any ideas.

Mark K

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

Could some of this kit be used on the Stevens non-chargecooler turbo?  Obviously don't need the chargecooler rad and only one (larger) oil cooler needed in the middle.  Looks excellent quality though and my front end is knackered, so could well be interested if it fits mine.

Hi Neil, I think the main rad will fit and like you say your oil cooler is in the centre. The group but is for the full set , do you have air con ? could you send me some pictures of your existing setup.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Can I resurrect this thread and add my name to the list. I've a lot going in at the moment but hope to get her in for service and MOT next month. I'd like to do the full upgrade including fans if possible.

Any idea on price if there are only a few of us Mark?

Hi Mark, I've been on holiday hence the delay. I will speak with Leon about a smaller GB may be 5 , but the price will rise. He needs the numbers to get the cores manufactured. I’ll update you when he comes back to me.

Mark K