Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 18 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

That kills the fuel pump (at least I would expect it to, without checking the wiring it is abets guess!) in the event of an impact. The button pops up when triggered. Can also be an anti theft as you can normally pull it up manually.

I haven't seen one of those boxes on my car but it was registered s a few years earlier. I have a mysterious toggle switch mounted on the door hinge support which I think is an anti theft device.

Carpetwise I think the original set is made up of quite a lot of sections may be as many as 8 pieces. What I found odd was that the spacer washers for the seat were under the carpet on my car.

By the way I think your headling is awesome well worth the effort.

I've been working on my carpets today and have made really good progress. I've used some old carpet that I've been storing fir a while as underlay but these also make up good templates for the final carpet mats and shapes. I think I've also worked out how to carpet around the seat ' H' bases which are a sod to carpet. So I made up some cardboard templates and transfered that to carpet. The carpet folds fairly easily and I managed to sew the shapeso that it alalmost becomes ridgid enough to maintain the shape on its own. You'll see what I mean in the photos.

20150102_121034_zps8mu59abz.jpg

20150102_160339_zps9g0d5z2x.jpg

20150102_162134_zps0sjfq8jr.jpg

20150102_175720_zpsl4r1oeou.jpg

20150102_175740_zpsshdstnn2.jpg

I hope you can see where I'm going with this, I'll post more photos as I go. This method seems to be working and will reduce the amount of pieces needed to recarpet an elite.

• Like 1

Been quite productive today I've been mapping out my templates for the carpet refit and have used some old carpet I have been storing. I've also worked out how to carpet around the H seat base, you'll see in the photos my templates and how they eventually sit inplace. [br][br]20150102_121034_zpsqhmlnj9v.jpg[br][br]20150102_160339_zps9g0d5z2x.jpg[br][br]20150102_162134_zps0sjfq8jr.jpg[br][br]20150102_175720_zpsl4r1oeou.jpg[br][br]20150102_175740_zpsshdstnn2.jpg[br][br]20150103_094816_zpsm09nvzya.jpg[br][br]Ignore the old carpet, that's just for my templates, the sandstone carpet will be the final choice. Just waiting on some high temp adheshive beforec I finally install the carpet, but it seems to be going to plan.

Going back a couple of pages to those nicely polished air trumpets of yours... what did you do about the spring that would usually go from the airbox to the throttle on the carbs (to pull it back to position when you let off the gas)?  Have you got it fitted to something else or gone without?

Charlie: you are my hero! Am amazed by the quality and speed of your work! Truth be told I'm not a huge fan of the slammed look but the work you've put in to the interior is amazing. Makes me want to finish my car.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Going back a couple of pages to those nicely polished air trumpets of yours... what did you do about the spring that would usually go from the airbox to the throttle on the carbs (to pull it back to position when you let off the gas)? Have you got it fitted to something else or gone without?

It already has a spring, doesn't it? Now you've got me thinking! I'll check later on but as far as I know it is spring loaded, I've never had to worry about that. I'll get a photo so you can see the setup.

Charlie: you are my hero! Am amazed by the quality and speed of your work! Truth be told I'm not a huge fan of the slammed look but the work you've put in to the interior is amazing. Makes me want to finish my car.

Keep up the good work!

Too kind sir, and many thanks. I have to say chaps that your comments are very uplifting and motivating, greatly appreciated. It may seem like fast progress but I've had the car for nearly a year now, and the journey has been up and down all the way, and bloody hard work even though my posts may make it look easy it's been far from! I'm all about detail, so I'll go the extra mile on something even if you don't eventually see it and I'll keep doing it until it is at the level I want even if that means doing it over and over and more stress on my budget.

A great idea on the carpet parts over the seat mountings. It should work perfectly. Have you considered an overlap?

Each panel of carpet on the originals overlap by about 1 1/2" where two pieces meet.

• Like 1

Yes, overlaps considered, you'll see it when it's all finished, but I've allowed more than enough. Back to soldave's question, here's a couple of photos, that spring you see is on the back of the dell'orto's and acts as the tension to bring the throttle cable back to its starting point, hope that helps.

20150104_092554_zps1gotb2fn.jpg

20150104_092616_zpsybelnduw.jpg

20150104_092536_zpshmzzrxyz.jpg

Thanks for the pics.  What I was meaning was that the original airbox has a spring which pulls against the point that the throttle cable is connected to.  I'm guessing my carbs also have the springs that you have shown.  Will try and get a picture myself to make things clearer.

• Like 1

My carbs have a bit of drilled flat bar bolted on using the two innermost bolts for the trumpets, have two springs on from the linkage to the flat bar .

I think the idea is to have in independant or extra closing device for the throttles and linkage rather than just relying on the spring on the carb.

• Like 1

That bracket going between the carbs is an interesting idea. Might have to go that route is I go without the airbox.

Will try to get some pictures of the stock setup tomorrow night after work.

That's exactly what I have, I can't quite see from your photo the springs you mention? My plate is sprung loaded by those springs you see behind my carbs.

Those carb springs are pulling up on the linkage (the bit with the idle screws on) the springs pull the linkage towards the air filters.

Will try and post a better pic tomorrow night ;)

Ok, I certainly don't have that on my setup, but seeing as I never knew it should have and the fact it hasn't affected driving, what is the point and should I add the extra spring?

The point is to make sure the throttle is pulled close all the way, I believe.  My '95 Mitsubishi Evo had a same same but different setup on the throttle body (you can see the coiled spring here, which would pull against the throttle cable, bringing it back to the resting point.

90TB_1.jpg

• Gold FFM

Thats the way she came from new Dave, I have had a few of them and most had a little tab fixed to the underside of the air box with a couple of rivets but over the years many cars have lost the tab.

Yes, a wide open throttle is not a fun thing to happen- ask me how I know.....

Mine was caused by carpet that had been rolled up in the boot for 9 years curling and getting caught under the throttle pedal.

I killed the ignition almost immediately - but it doesn't half make your heart sink then palpatate when it happens. Especially when it bangs all the ingested unburnt fuel when you try and start it again..

pooped my pants that I'd bent a valve!