Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Headlights - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Headlights

I drove 805 miles in a lovely Roadster over the weekend but unfortunately half of it was on the awful A1M in the dark, rainy, flooded, unlit, poorly maintained hell that it is.

There were huge amounts of water from the rain and road spray however I did find the headlights to be not far off completely useless. They weren't very bright and lit up around 5-6m in front of the car or in the rare occurrences of cats-eyes, only 1 was visible at a time, every now and again you'd be able to see 2 but that didn't happen much. This is not far from 1 second of travelling distance. The side-lights weren't that dimmer than the headlights but full beam was very good on the few occasions I got to use it. 

Just me?

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I drove 805 miles in a lovely Roadster over the weekend but unfortunately half of it was on the awful A1M in the dark, rainy, flooded, unlit, poorly maintained hell that it is.

There were huge amounts of water from the rain and road spray however I did find the headlights to be not far off completely useless. They weren't very bright and lit up around 5-6m in front of the car or in the rare occurrences of cats-eyes, only 1 was visible at a time, every now and again you'd be able to see 2 but that didn't happen much. This is not far from 1 second of travelling distance. The side-lights weren't that dimmer than the headlights but full beam was very good on the few occasions I got to use it. 

Just me?

No I fully agree, there useless!!

Wonder why the headlights are rubbish? Can the problem be solved with a different bulb, or is something else the reason - anyone know??

Colin

The side lights are a complete waste - I use the LEDs instead, they're much brighter. That said, I haven't noticed any problems with main beam when dipped.

How was the A1(M) without a rear wing?

I have noticed the Evora is also very critical with the headlight angles when driving on unfamiliar unlit roads when set to the correct pass an MOT level. I like them moved up a tad from that position just after the MOT and they don't blind anybody. Must be partially being a very low car I guess

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

• 1 month later...

Wonder why the headlights are rubbish? Can the problem be solved with a different bulb, or is something else the reason - anyone know??

Colin

What bulbs are in the V6 Exige?

• 6 months later...

I am finding the headlights on my Exige V6 are crap. Has anyone changed their's, if so which bulbs did you use and how easy are they to swap out.

My S2 Exige had the optional driving lamps which were far better, but these aren't an option on the V6.

Cheers.

Hi guys,

Iv actually found my lights very good, however always full beam when no-one around.

Iv changed bulbs in many cars and PIAA bulbs are fantastic but expensive.

Will be putting them in my Exige soon

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Do PIAA offer the correct bulb size however? From what I understand this main beam isn't a problem but you can use H11B bulbs instead of the H9B bulbs. 

The issue however is with the HB3A dipped bulbs. From what I can see, these are a unique bulb that Osram make. I'm not sure what bulb comes with the Exige, but I'd not want to end up buying a new set of "better bulbs" only to find that I'm replacing like for like!

Has anyone considered a HID conversion? 

-------EDIT-------

Hmm actually I've just searched online and there appears to be more than one manufacturer offering the HB3A bulbs.

These look good at 5000k colour temp.

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/9005xs-hb3a-hb3xs-12v-65w-superwhite-hid-class-car-upgrade-headlight-bulbs-e13/

Edited by ramjet

• 5 months later...

Agree standard headlights are shocking and embarrassing for such a car!

Aren't the HID retro fit kits now illegal at time of MOT? Thought I read there had been a clamp down or something...

www.alias23.com

Any further progress with this, I spent an hour in the rain and dark on the m42 the other night. The light situation was worrying to say the least I honestly thought my lights had gone off a few times!

Woeful doesn't cover it, they remind me of the headlights on my dads old Morris 1300 30 years ago. Can't believe a modern production car can be let out the factory with such a fundamental flaw, oh that and ac that you can't tell if its on or not.

Steve

• 1 year later...