Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Is my ABS kicking in too early? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Is my ABS kicking in too early?

Drove our S4s in a bit of a hurry yesterday, more than a few times the ABS kicked in on perfectly dry roads when I think it shouldn't ( I was braking quite hard but not that hard).

A couple of times it was just braking in a straight line from 30mph, although more often it was braking and turning (for instance coming up to roundabouts), now I assume this would make the ABS kick in due to the inside wheel turning slower than the outside wheel and thus 'fooling' the ABS into thinking a wheel was locking up.

I should also mention that when it does kick in the brake pedal drops about 10mm (a bit disconcerting when it happens).......

Just interested to know members thoughts as to whether this is 'normal' or can it be improved on?

I must admit I don't like ABS anyway, but never had a problem like this when driving our Exige.

Cheers

Rich

On my '95 S4s the ABS rarely cut in, only when braking while a wheel went over a wet, slippery man hole cover & when it did cut in my immediate thoughts were I need to change my underpants  :shock:

Cheers,

John W

If it's your first drive of the spring, your tires (tyres) could be a bit cold...less traction. Or they could be wearing out....or getting aged.  How old are they?

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

I have had my ABS cut in when braking in a straight line as well, but most times I have been aware of the wheel that causes the ABS to initiate having travelled over a bump in the road surface. I have had it cut in on a corner as well, but again, it was due to a bump mid corner or gravel on the inside line.

My brake pedal drops as well and while it is odd, if I recall correctly our Holden Commodore pedal used to drop as well. Maybe just not as markedly.

I do find that the ABS 'appears' to let go of the braking more than I would have expected. It is an older system so maybe that is all it is.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem on an old set of tyres (Michelin Pilots) where the abs seemed to be a bit over zealous, since I have changed all 4 tyres for a fresh set of Toyos the abs seems to have settled down even under similar braking conditions my only conclusion is that the tyres are gripping the road better and not slipping ,the car also brakes a lot stronger than before.

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

• 1 month later...

Missed this first time round - my ABS does the same if not maybe worse.. I can press the brake pedal lightly with no real intention of stopping or slowing and the ABS intervenes.

I run it disabled because it's the only way I can stop!